Jets fire Robert Saleh

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mogriffjr, Oct 8, 2024.

1. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Monday night is gonna be lit...

NY Jets68, REVISion and dmw like this.
  2. bmfc1

bmfc1 Well-Known Member

Too bad the owner can't be fired. He is the commonality for every mistake.

Vida, NY Jets68, REVISion and 2 others like this.
  3. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

I would assume JD and the entire rest of the staff is gone in the off-season as well. Without JD gone, this is a wasted move.

4. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Let's talk about accountability. There is much evidence that Saleh did not hold players accountable for their poor play and/or lack of effort.
    Evidence:
    1. Lazard clearly checked out last season after ARod went down. He wasn't benched until the 2nd half of the season.
    2. Arod said it in a press conference the other day: Guys should be held accountable.
    3. Quincy Williams said it in a locker-room interview a few days ago: Guys should be held accountable.
    4. Breece Hall clearly hasn't been giving 100% or is injured this season and he hasn't been benched or had his playing time cut back.

This is 100% on the head coach.

Vida, NY Jets68 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

The last line in Woody's statement says it all...

6. ProfJets

ProfJets Well-Known Member

Saleh is a good coordinator but lacks the personality to be a good Head Coach- not even really a criticism, since it comes down to just being too personable and nice, just an observation.

But this is a job half-done if Woody doesn't wish Hackett the best in his future endeavors.

Vida likes this.
  7. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

So you were in the locker room and saw this?

8. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

Very surprised about an in season move -- home run or strikeout type move

Reading between the lines I'm wondering if the issues is that there is no OC on the planet who Saleh could somehow make effective. Very Rex vibes

I wish Woody had consulted me first. The right move may have been to elevate Hackett to HC (infamous promotion to irrelevancy) and name a new OC. Keep Rogers happy, take away playcalling from Hacket. Problem solved.

9. letsgojets2819

letsgojets2819 Active Member

Saleh being fired without Hackett or Keith Carter being fired shows that Aaron Rodgers is the man in charge of this organization, glad that they fired saleh but how in the world do you not fire Hackett as well unless ar says so?

10. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

No, it was recorded. I saw it on Twitter. Duh!

11. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Wonder if Hackett is truly safe (though I'd be shocked). Only thing if so is, who becomes the interim OC?

@Connor_J_Hughes
    #Jets staffers I have touched base with are unsure if additional changes are coming, potentially to the offensive side of the ball. As one put it to me: "Everything feels like it's up in the air."

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I like that. Maybe it’ll light a fire.

JetFanInPA likes this.
  13. SOXXX2

SOXXX2 Well-Known Member

Logically I would assume Woody, JD and Ulbrich are now in a meeting discussing other coaching changes. When you bring in a head coach, he usually picks the supporting staff. If Ulbrich does not want Hackett around that would be the next step today.

14. JetFanInPA

Nooooooo (surprise)

The Athletic’s Dianna Russini reports the Jets “do not plan on firing” offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett.
    The Jets shocked the football world on Tuesday morning when they fired head coach Robert Saleh, who was 20-32 over three and a half seasons at the helm. It appears they’ll stick with Hackett — a longtime member of the Aaron Rodgers orbit — for now despite the team’s offensive struggles over the past few weeks. New York has the league’s seventh lowest EPA per play and 11th worst drop back success rate. The Jets run an uncreative offense that uses play action at a low 20 percent rate. It looks like the team will try to grind their way to victory in a deeply inefficient, outdated system devised by Hackett and Rodgers.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  15. JetFanInPA

This is definitely plausible. The Rodgers free pass this offseason could have led to a false sense of security or complacency on this staff

16. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

The really sad part about all this is the Washington Commanders. Here is a team that basically was the Jets in terms of bad performance, coaching/player decisions, etc. and now they are atop the league for one simple reason....they got the right QB. It just shows that everything flows from the QB. Are they complaining about OL play, coaches, poor running game, receivers not getting open? Doesn't seem that they are now.

The Jets have gone from bad to worse ever since drafting Wilson. The decision to sign Rodgers was made out of desperation and now it appears that too was a bad one. If Ulbrich has any sense, he should move on from Rodgers asap. No good will come from continuing the Rodgers gambit.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Reactionary move? Are you kidding me. This is exactly the right first move and should not have been delayed another minute. You guys that think he is the victim on this got to be kidding. Accountability and player discipline was totally on his shoulders. We had the issue before Hackett and before AR, during Saleh entire tenure. Kudos to Woody. A year too late. Enough of this BS. Now, I do believe further changes to the OC staff are imminent, and Carter, Saleh pet peeve will be gone sooner than later. Our entire blocking scheme has been shit during his entire tenure, no matter what lineman we have in there. If you can’t punch it in from the 1 yard line in 4 tries I don’t know what to tell you. Perfect timing and long needed.

18. JetFanInPA

Cimini confirms it. Wonder how JD feels about this one

@RichCimini
    This was Woody Johnson's decision. Technically, Saleh reports to GM Joe Douglas, but Johnson made the call. After all, he owns the team. Subtext: Technically, Johnson didn't hire Saleh. It was Christopher Johnson, who was acting owner while Woody was the ambassador to the UK. #Jets

19. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Mother F'er! They HAD to do something to wake this team up! I'm down with this. I'm willing to give it the ole' college "wait and see." Accountability is a HUGE thing!!!!!!!!!

Maybe....MAYBE Saleh not holding Hackett accountable, just like he doesn't his players, was part of the problem. MAYBE, if someone is there to put a foot in someone's ass, things change. Tell you one thing, I just changed my Buffalo pick to the Jets for MNF. EVERYONE in that building is now on high alert. Heads are gonna roll. Who WANTS to be here the rest of the year and going forward? Who doesn't? This lethargic shit we've seen, the last two weeks, better be a thing of the past.

We're about to find out just how much Saleh was a part of the problem...

Ralebird, LAJet and dmw like this.
  20. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

It’s not new, and occurs in every professional athletes and teams. You’re making it sound like it’s only on HC.

To hear an athletes to say that they need to be held accountable is dumb to say imo because it sounds like they are not the problem and others are. If they see it a problem that impacts say the passing routes, or execution, ARcan call it out on his teammates during practices, video reviews or games. Stupid to comment in public imo.