Devante Adams

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BrowningNagle, Oct 1, 2024 at 4:52 PM.

1. Not Sure

Not Sure Active Member

Nobody wants Reddick.

He's over thirty, is holding out, wants a huge retirement paycheck, and isn't even really that special to begin with. He's way over-rating his market value. Guys like that are GM killahs.

It's not like he's Julius Peppers or some shit. Why would Tom Telesco and the Raiders, of all teams, want him?

2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Great post by Joe Caporoso IMO. I agree with basically everything

3. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Yep.

4. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

Or framing that all in another way that doesn't just cherry pick on people's in the moment feelings on the matter - in typical bad team philosophy and logic we obviously just need to triple down on a losing bet instead of potentially cutting our latter loses. Latter loses that people, always in that moment mind you, love to claim they "don't care about". But when the time actually comes they damn sure always do.

Like i alluded to on the first page of this thread this concept idea that you can just add Danante into the current offense, and expect that to fix the fundamental issue at hand, is basically just catering to the willingly naive and/or stupid. It didn't essentially work before with adding a much bigger upgrade at QB, and it's not going to work now at WR. I'm ultimately not against trading for Davante, but let's be crystal clear honest with the surrounding reality on this. There should be no cheer for Woody, the FO or Rodgers at the end of this if it happens. As this trade has a lot more to do with throwing up the hail mary in the attempt to justify Nathaniel Hackett's job and existence here then it does with any genuine attempt to make this offense a meaningful amount better. There is only one way that latter is actually happening and it absolutely has to start with a firing. There is no shortcut around that.

We need a competent offensive coach in that room more then we need anything else (including Aaron Rodgers himself).

SOJAZ and sozopol like this.
  5. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

Go get someone who can block for AR. Go get someone who can rush the passer. Adams is a band aid on a gunshot wound. The CS is terrible and dumbo Hackett won't know how to use Adams anyway,

This franchise is a train wreck.

SOJAZ and sozopol like this.
  6. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I think most people understand that acquiring Adams doesn't fix the Hackett problem, but it objectively does improve our chances of making a playoff run this year. WRs are extremely important and Rodgers/Wilson haven't been on the same page all season. There are multiple times each game where it looks like Wilson pretty clearly didn't run the right route.

Teams that have the potential to make playoff runs mortgage the future to maximize the present all the time. It's a pretty established strategy with some merit.

SOJAZ, LAJet, Jets79 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Kronoking

I don't disagree that on the upgrade to Wilson level it does make us better. But only a marginal amount better, and more in a way that makes the team a little more fun to watch then something that actually can be expected to show up in the W/L standings.

Adding Adams still ends up with a below average NFL offense. It's not going to dramatically change the limited look and scope of what the Hackett offense is capable of doing. The consistent amount of fail and general frustration in-between those few added moments of good doesn't go away with this.

Again, this is the issue I had yesterday with you and others that keep throwing out the term that we need to be "all in". Or that this team is always oh so close and a *this* move should do it away from grabbing that brass ring. How many times do the actual outcome results have to slap you in the face before you are willingly to second quess whether your more optimistic projection foundation was completely wrong to begin with? Why keep double, triple, and quadripling down?

8. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

They have a 2 year window to win with Rodgers. It isn't that difficult to understand.

westiedog1, Acad23 and REVISion like this.
  9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

they are all in regardless of whether they are good or not. In case you didn't notice the QB is 40 years old. Its not a 5 year rebuild, obviously

dawinner127 and REVISion like this.
  10. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

well if we don’t give away a ton of draft picks, this is a no brainer move…Devante is on the same page as AR. Period.

So if we have DA as WR1, then we have a very good WR2/3/4 room with GW, Lazard and Williams

I am not giving up on GW…he’s too good. But man getting those 4 on the field with Hall or Allen in the backfield would be a nice offensive group to roll out

SOJAZ likes this.
  11. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

The upgrade isn't from Wilson -> Adams, it's from Lazard/Gipson -> Adams. Wilson isn't the one who's going to see less playing time because of Adams.

dawinner127 and Jets79 like this.
  12. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Right I feel like this just means GW is #2, Lazard is #3, and then how do we fit Mike Williams in? You have 3 guys who can play (and yes it’s odd to even write that about Lazard considering how bad he was last year, but he’s looking much better this year…he’ll never be a #1, but it sure does look like he has a pretty good feel for what AR likes to do). And Williams has been coming on. I am not giving up on GW…he’s too good…just needs to mesh better with how AR wants his routes run or whatever, but a WR room with DA, GW, AL, and MW just pushes Gibson to #5, which is about right for him at this point.

If we can make this happen it’s a big deal….sure, doesn’t help the OL play better, and maybe more importantly doesn’t help the run D at all, but this move makes a lot of sense. I’d love to take my chances with a hungry AR throwing to a hungry DA, and letting GW/MW/AL feed off the attention that will be paid to DA.

Not a long term fix by any means, but if we get this year and maybe next with AR and DA, you gotta try it, right? After that, I’m guessing this all gets blown up, including Saleh unless we go deep into the playoffs

REVISion likes this.
  13. Kronoking

What shouldn't be difficult to understand here is that this Aaron Rodgers with Hackett team build isn't actually anywhere near as good or looking as potentially productive as many of you had hoped it would be. Which should change any surrounding and further "be all in" investment calculation math.

Again, I don't see that actually changing much of anything other then spreading the catch distribution around more behind Davante. This idea Wilson is going to somehow pop off in *THIS* offense is about as wishcast driven as the paper theory concept of Hackett properly developing/utilizing a YAC guy like Corley when we drafted up to grab him. The adequate pieces to get it done if we were capable of more are already in place now. If it's not happening now it's probably not happening after-the-fact either.

The biggest change that will out of this trade will be Garrett Wilson owners in fantasy wanting to hang themselves for spending a 1st round pick on a guy when they could of just taken Lazard with their last pick for similar RoS production :)

14. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

While I definitely agree that we had enough talent on offense with Hall/Allen, GW, AL, and MW to make a decent offense, except for the fact that Hackett well and truly SUCKS, it’s hard to agree that adding someone like DA would not help. He’s a guy who is very well connected with what AR likes to do…he knows when and how to change his route if he sees AR scrambling, he knows how AR wants to throw the ball, etc.

And yes, I do think it will open up more opportunities for GW if the other team has to pay attention to DA.

Will it make us a top 3 offense? No probably not because I don’t yet trust our OL as much, but is it the difference between the 20th-25th offense and the 10th-15th offense? I think yes it could certainly help that. Of course, our OL has to stop the bullshit false starts, and AL needs to stop with the motion or holding penalties as well, but DA is still a top WR and he has a good history and connection with our QB, so unless the trade comp is exhorbitant, this move makes a lot of sense.

REVISion likes this.
  15. Kronoking

So let me ask you this then. What would be your cutoff point to what the jets should be giving up to make this deal happen?

If it's more then just a single 3rd round pick are you good with that? What about if we continue doing the classic poorly run franchise routine, similar to the Rodgers comp, and outbid ourselves by offering a 2nd or *gasp* maybe even a future 1st? (that i'd honestly expect over half the posters on the board to cheer on as a "worthwhile necessity" at this point being so far down the wishcasting rabbit hole)

16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I think he makes Wilson a better football player just in practice during the week.

One thing about Adams, he is an elite route runner. Very fundamentally sound, its almost old school to play that way as the new wideouts try to win on athleticism. Wilson could learn a lot from him

dawinner127, SOJAZ and REVISion like this.
  17. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

I think Saleh and Hackett and probably JD will be gone next year, and it would probably be better to hang onto any and all draft picks for the next regime for the rebuild, rather than squander them on a hopeless "Super Bowl run."

Kronoking and JetsNation06 like this.
  18. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

I think it's all or nothing when it comes to the future of Saleh, JD and Hack-job. If the Jets miss the playoffs this year they all HAVE to be gone.

If the Jets barely squeak into the playoffs this year I still don't think that's good enough but it will make it a tougher deal.

Regarding Adams, yeah he could help them team but I'm not sure how much when the offense is completely hamstrung by the ineffectiveness of the gameplan and offensive play calling of Hack-job. I really think that limits the talent of the entire unit.

I agree with you that I would hate to keep giving up more valuable high draft picks for one year rentals (assuming Adams is out looking for one last big payday after the rest of this season here).

Very tough call. It sounds like Adams to the Jets will probably happen so they NEED to make the playoffs this year. No way around it. With him and the additional draft capital this team is giving up, it truly is Playoffs or Bust in Jets land.

19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I like how people are talking like he's already on the team. Douglas is very capable of getting bitch-slapped by the Saints.

BrowningNagle, stinkyB and Acad23 like this.
  20. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

May as well add some more plutonium to the reactor before the meltdown...