Brock Bowers - Olu Fashanu Discussion

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BrowningNagle, Sep 15, 2024.

1. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I actually think it's the opposite analogy.... "Damn we've picked some shitty linemen, so we have to doubleback again even if it means missing on Bowers"

abyzmul likes this.
  2. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Well, it's not as cut and dry - yes, there is a decent likelihood of 3d round success (up to 50% chance for OL in round 3), but also this is based on actual GMs selecting an OL that they think are 3d round worthy. If you MUST select OL in round 3 and possibly reach, I don't think the odds will be as good. Overall success for a 3d round selection in under 30%. Also 1st rounder is not a lock for success. Less so for 20-30 than 10-20. And what's interesting the bust rate for 10-20 pick (where we moved) is quite a bit less than 20-30, plus 10-20 range produced more star players.

Additionally we got 5th rounder back too, who has some success probability also and actually turned out good, unlike Minny picks. The point is that it is not 3 starters for 1 and not even 2 for 1. But I do think there is a solid argument to be made that it was not a great trade.

3. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Now Bowers is compared to Mahomes? Man, Bower Boy love is strong. :)

4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

But Bowers is not Mahomes, right? Please can we agree on that.

Also, with Moses going down, Olu pick looks a lot smarter than it did when we started this discussion - when Olu hasn't played a snap and Bowers already proving to be good NFL player. Now that we must play Olu (over otherwise porous sieve Max, who is still somehow better than Warren) and also Conk came alive, JD's strategy is making a lot more sense. Olu has to play well though.

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Nowhere has anyone compared Bowers to Mahomes. Poor decision-making was compared. Is the English language really this hard

6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

You are just plain wrong. Teams hide lesser talent at those positions every sunday. Do you really think you have to roll out 5 pro-bowlers or something to have a good offensive line?

---

look at the buffalo bills' starting lineup: David Edwards (who?) LG, Connor Mcgovern- (the other one) C, and O'Cyrus Torrance, RG.

they probably got $20 USD invested in those 3 positions. They put up 47 points the other night

#246 BrowningNagle, Sep 26, 2024 at 1:43 PM
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2024 at 1:49 PM
  7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Yeah I knew someone would misread my post and try for low hanging fruit. "Feel like" isn't making a side by side comparison. Stick with your videos, Mikey.

8. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Heh. And yet the name “Hackenberg” is so quickly memory-holed.

abyzmul likes this.
  9. stinkyB

You really think Mahomes can match the greatness of Bowers?!?!... Psssh
    I mean, that's like saying it was everyone else's fault that Zach Wilson sucked...

Borat likes this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I hope with all the misconstrued words in this thread everyone acknowledges that this is absolutely no endorsement of Hackenberg.

But… when teams draft guys high like that and we watch the likes of Bryce Petty, Greg McElroy, Brooks Bollinger, etc. - why don’t they just throw the shitty high draft pick to the wolves at the end of losing seasons?

I especially never understood it about Gholston. He was THAT bad that he couldn’t be activated as a backup end and play 10 snaps a game in obvious pass rush situations? We weren’t exactly flush with edge rushers during his years.

11. stinkyB

He did play.... and moved like me after drinking 12 beers at a mexican buffet

Sundayjack and BrowningNagle like this.
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I guess he was active more than I remember and I forgot we were good those years so I’ll take a pass on that.

I would’ve liked to see Hackenberg embarrass Maccagnan a bit though.

Sundayjack and stinkyB like this.
  13. stinkyB

It's easy to forget that he was on the field, even with Rex wanting to prove that he could make him a player..... until you remember him trying to "chase down" Timmy Tebow... like he had a huge load in his drawers

14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

And low hanging fruit it sure was! Come on, we will "feel like" we missed out on Mahomes by not taking Brock? Look, you guys like Bowers that much, it's fine by me, but allow me to disagree on the nature of the comparison. Poor decision making does not always feel like Mahomes level miss, which resulted not making play-offs since instead of having probably the best QB of all time who is in SB every year. It was over the top and I pointed it out. Brock Bowers forever?

15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

No, you still don't understand, the low hanging fruit was you seeing the word "Mahomes" and tryng to score some cheap points on my supposed comparing anyone to the vaunted Mahomes iwithout you actually paying attention to the spirit of my post. You couldn't help yourself.

I admit it was a bit of a cheap trick on my part, but cheap bait catches cheap fish I guess.

#255 abyzmul, Sep 27, 2024 at 12:34 AM
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2024 at 12:42 AM
  16. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Pop quiz: "Prototypical size and athleticism for the position. Still a little raw. Great bend." Who am I describing - Gholston or Fashanu?

Trick question.

17. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Amazing what having a hall of fame quarterback can mask.

18. stinkyB

Torrance was drafted fairly high if I remember (2nd or 3rd rd). Haven't really paid attention but he was a mountain of a "man" at UF

19. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Since you said it's a trick question, I'll guess it was Gholston.

20. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

yep. he was a second round pick.

and mcgovern makes $7.5 mill a year.