Brock Bowers - Olu Fashanu Discussion

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BrowningNagle, Sep 15, 2024.

1. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

The likelihood Fashanu will play this year is great. The last time Tyron Smith played an entire season, Obama was president (and that’s not a joke). Moses is also one of the oldest tackles in the league. Olu will be needed at some point and you need a guy of his caliber to step in, not the turnstiles they had all last year.

Im sorry, are you saying bowers is a sure fire hall of famer? You can’t be saying that I’m sure.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  2. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I see your point too, I get it. Bowers is a great player and you couldn’t go wrong with that. I’d argue the problem here isn’t Olu, it’s JD’s proclivity to signing old washed up veterans on the OL. Vera Tucker was great until we had to use him to cover for all the T deficiencies JD kept leaving this team with. You ask a guy who’s used to being inside to kick out to LT or RT and now have to move laterally and you’re asking for that guy to tear an ACL the first time he ends up off balance. That said, I agree you shouldn’t be trading up for Guards.

This season alone, the plan should be keeping Rodgers upright and alive. Without Olu our starting LT is going to be Max Mitchell or Carter Warren when Smith goes down. Brock Bowers on the team wouldn’t overcome that.

3. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

I'm not betting my paycheck on likelihood and Bowers would have had way more impact on this year's team than Fashanu will have. If you say differently then I know you're not being truthful.

Results matter and Bowers has already produced them and will continue to for the rest of this season. Fashanu? Nobody knows the answer to that one.

Yeah, gimme the sure thing every day.

REVISion likes this.
  4. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

The question is not whether Fashanu will play, it's whether X games of Fashanu is worth more than 17 games of Bowers.

How many games does Fashanu need to start for his impact to exceed that of 17 games with Bowers? I don't know the exact number but it's a lot - far more than he's likely to start.

JetsNation06 likes this.
  5. REVISion

I just disagree with this notion that losing 1 starting OT means your QB is 100% going to be significantly injured. Having one subpar OL isn't a death sentence. You only get into trouble when you have multiple glaring holes that you can't work around.

And again, Bowers would've improved our chances of winning all 17 games barring injury. There was no sensible reason to take Fashanu in a win-now year.

Anyway, we're going in circles here. It's just frustrating seeing the Jets do yet another stupid thing that a lot of us saw coming from a mile away. Taking Becton instead of Wirfs, not admitting defeat on Becton soon enough, letting Moses and Fant go, trading up for AVT when we had holes everywhere on the line, drafting McDonald instead of a WR, Fashanu over Bowers. The list goes on and on and on.

Bellys Lies and JetsNation06 like this.
  6. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

To me, it’s easy. After last year, the “must do” for the jets is keep Rodgers healthy and protect him so that you have a season. We already saw last year, no Rodgers = season over. With him aging, you can’t afford that happening 2 years in a row. I don’t care how many passes Bowers catches, it doesn’t matter if you don’t have a healthy Rodgers. Protecting him at all costs is the number 1 goal, you can always add pass catchers in other ways, which they did with Mike Williams, Corley, Lazard, etc. Olu impacts that department, and you need him even on the chance someone goes down.

7. REVISion

See my response to NJ above.

Losing a starting OT and then losing your QB specifically because of the backup OT is extremely unlikely. The pain of the Rodgers injury is leading us to believe it is more likely than it is. It's an emotional response, not a logical one.

JetsNation06 likes this.
  8. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

This is all the same back and forth we’ve had since the draft…only difference is Bowers, after two games, looks like he’s the real deal and so now it sure feels like the question of “will his game translate to the NFL” has been answered with a solid “Yes”

Would he help us now? Absolutely he would.

However, I wanted the OT then and I’m still good with that decision today. OL was a MUCH bigger need than TE. Not even close.

It was the right pick to protect against injury to two aging tackles this year, and it was the right pick to help bolster our OL next year.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  9. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

We’re going in circles because your opinion is correct, and so is the opinion that Olu was a good pick as well. This is one of those situations where the argument will never end because there’s validity to both sides. I’d be completely content had we drafted Bowers even though I wanted Olu. I’d also be pretty certain that I’d be watching Max Mitchell playing LT and getting beaten like a drum at some point this year if that was the case, and I’d be just as mad as you are for drafting Bowers as you are right now for drafting Olu.

LAJet, Jets79 and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  10. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Maybe we should all just be happy that at least the Jets took 1 of the 2 right choices and we're not the ones bragging about our big Penix this season while everything else crumbles.

stinkyB and Jets79 like this.
  11. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yeah along those lines, I thought that was a bad pick on Penix…I just didn’t like what I saw in the championship game from either him or Odunze … another guy who some wanted. I didn’t see much special with either guy. Hard to know obviously how good they are since Penix won’t play unless Kirk gets hurt, and Odunze is a rookie WR playing with a rookie QB, but just watching Nabors and Marvin Harrison through two games you can already see they are special…Odunze does not look at all like them

stinkyB likes this.
  12. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

It's clear for me...

The last two seasons were completely ruined an epidemic of OL injury.

Given the fact that even after overhauling the OL we still have players that are 33 with injury history, I think selecting Olu Fashanu was the best decision Joe Douglas could have made.

Ill Will and Jets79 like this.
  13. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

No prospect is ever "sure fire HOF."

14. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

JD was supposed to be an o-line expert. You would hope to find a diamond in the rough in 5 yrs. Just 1 guy that outplays his draft position Bowers was the pick ,and if JD had found a bargain stud for the oline just once we would have had him

REVISion likes this.
  15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Penix will probably come out stiff if they put him in too soon.

16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

A few of you guys called it with Brock, and you seem to be correct. However a likelihood of injury to old Rodgers coming off an Achilles is a lot higher with a poor tackle. It's not just an emotional response. Our OL got the QBs hurt (Rodgers, White), and likely contributed in ruining Sam/Zach. Olu was widely considered the best pass pro OT in the draft, consensus all American. It's hard to pass up on a guy like that. When the draft process just started, and we won an extra meaningless game dropping our draft position, everyone was saying how there is no chance now for Olu or Alt. And yet we somehow got one of them.

Now, if Brock keep playing the way he is, sure it looks like a big mistake, no argument there. But if Olu comes in even for half the season or during critical moment/play-offs and plays really well and keeps Rodgers up right, gives him time to throw, there is a huge value in it as well. We are just going to have to wait and see how the season play out.

17. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

So instead of finally just acknowledging the overall reality check going on that this 2024 roster was never going to seriously contend for the superbowl this year, the "this is a win now season!" crowd and their frustration with the "not good enough for that" offense is going to re-reach for this argument? With (no shocker) not a single person seemingly wanting to consider or much less acknowledge the lazy logic that always comes with trying to just simply copy and paste what you see players doing elsewhere on to *THIS* loser franchise. Always the cart before the horse with some of you fans lol

How many of the same Brock Bowers boys in this thread also spent the winter clamoring for that need for that all important impact WR2, and claiming Mike Williams was gonna be a huge difference maker in this LaFleur's Hackett offense? I mean he's actually here. When do you see those "I TOLD YOU SO!" victory laps coming?

Same fundamental problem, different year. Never ends. Nobody here can probably even recall the last time the Jets offense schemed up 4 straight quarters of non-broken/frustrating offensive play, much less for *GASP* multiple games in a row, and yet here some of you are obsessing over a super large target share sample size of stat production happening on what will end up as another below average offensive football team for year. As if only we had that it would fix the problem over here!

The people you need in the building to make sense of taking Bowers with that #10 pick, or investing a super high lottery pick in the draft on a QB, or spending a bunch of money on an older/injury prone WR2 to compliment an offense that can barely squeeze a 1000 yard season for GW out of 170 targets... simply aren't ever here. There is never a shortcut around that. NYJ Bowers never had a real world reality chance to be LV Bowers until that finally chances.

#77 Kronoking, Sep 19, 2024
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2024
  18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

premature elevation

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  19. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Mike Williams isn't even physically able to play fully yet and he made a pretty big impact in the Titan game. Not sure anyone is taking a victory lap on him but I'm pretty excited about what might be coming when and if he and GW are both out there hitting on all cylinders.

And in general even if you don't have the right people in the building to win Super Bowls having high impact skill players are still good to have. Even if Rufus and Dufus are calling the plays they have a better chance to score once in awhile than if Zach Wilson, Jeff Smith, and a 38 year old Frank Gore are the offense.

20. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

There is no question in my mind that one of our starting OTs or guards will go down at some point this year. Olu is the future of that position and when this eventually happens we are going to be ecstatic that they drafted this kid. People always seem to question draft picks if they don't immediately start or produce. Drafting is about the future, even in the first round.

WMD took a lot of criticism for not immediately starting or producing on a stacked D-line, designed to keep pass rushers fresh. Looks like JD actually knew we'd need him. JJ Out, no JFM, no Reddick, no Huff, no Jefferson, no Woods. Imagine not having WMD now, Jets probably lose last week without him.