Brock Bowers - Olu Fashanu Discussion

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BrowningNagle, Sep 15, 2024.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Lots of teams are using the "12" formation with 2 TEs more, it is a popular trend

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  2. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

This implies that it's easier to find top TE talent outside of the first round. That is not the case.

Brock Bowers has been lighting it up immediately in the pros. He's leading all TEs in receiving yards through two games.

You wouldn't take the leading TE so far over a backup OL? This is a win-now year. Fashanu never made sense.

94Abraham, AtlantaJet and abyzmul like this.
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Passing yardage was actually down after week 1 too. Not sure about how week 2 shook out with passing yardage but it seems like teams are trying to grind out games a bit more.

Have never really understood why more teams haven’t tried the Gronk/Hernandez approach until now. Those offenses were fun to watch and it makes it a lot easier to run the ball with big bodies on the field that double as a receiving threat.

4. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

The Jets made a lot people, including me, believe they would choose Bowers, but I always thought a top OT was a better choice. I still do. It was a position of great need at the time. The Jets could improve at TE, but the need for o-line depth was a much greater need for this season and going forward.

LAJet and IDFjet like this.
  5. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

We're bringing this up again? I made it abundantly clear back before the draft that Bowers was the obvious pick and JD blew it. Regardless of your thoughts on the OT of the future and all that, we needed both a stud OT and a stud TE. Douglas made the wrong pick. Hopefully Olu works out as a future multiple time Pro bowler because Bowers sure as hell will be.

You never pass up on sure things and that is Bowers. Olu is far from a lock sure thing multi time Pro Bowler. Hope it works out for the kid.

REVISion likes this.
  6. REVISion

OL depth was a much greater need than offensive weapon this season? I don't see how that could possibly be true.

Bowers would've improved our chances of victory every single game this season. Olu is only going to have any impact if someone goes down for a prolonged period of time.

Conklin has 2 receptions for 16 yards by the way. Still think we didn't need TE help? And there's always the two TE thing as well.

You can argue that there's a high probability Olu contributes this season, but it's speculation at best. Even if he ends up starting 6 games for example, he's only going to improve our chances of winning in those 6 games. There's a decent chance Olu contributes effectively nothing to us this season.

How many games would Olu have to start for him to contribute more to winning than Bowers would've? It's a lot of games, certainly more than he is likely to start.

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Conklin missed a key block, I can't remember now if it was the 49ers or Titans game, but it cost a big play. Conklin can catch if he finds himself open but offers absolutely nothing in terms of yards after the catch which is where Bowers shines in particular. Clown shoes Conklin trips and falls with the ball in his hands :(

8. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

I apologize on behalf of TGG to disturb Nostradamus with this repetitive hogwash.

Ptflea2 likes this.
  9. AtlantaJet

AtlantaJet Well-Known Member

BB is on pace for 1300 yards, he is a true offensive weapon. If you watched Georgia games you would of known this. We would have had to sign a veteran swing tackle if we didn't draft Olu though and use first round pick on LT next year.

10. JetsNation06

Don't bother. The only thing disturbed are your draft evaluation skills, JD ball hugger. You, along with JD, will respectfully be shown the TGG door at the end of this season. Keep hugging.

11. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

In fairness there was one question on BB from Georgia and that was that he caught a lot of balls behind the LOS---it wasn't clear if he could thrive in the NFL having to run patterns beyond the LOS--now we know.

I'm fine with firing JD if we want to view this as the straw that broke the camels back. Sign me up.

12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Spot on. The obvious choice my ass. We have been searching for a LT forever, you desperately need one and you choose pick a TE. No way no how no matter how good. Because he would be doing the blocking nd nothing else.

dmw likes this.
  13. JackBower

Can you link me the draft evaluation I gave?

14. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

We obviously need some more cuttlefish around here....

ouchy likes this.
  15. JetsNation06

You're giving one right now and it's shit. We get your angle. You think JD is the almighty and Bowers was the wrong pick. Carry on.

16. JackBower

I didn't even realize I had this opinion. Thank you sir!!!

17. JetsNation06

Thank JD for getting your future Pro Bowl LT!

18. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I'm going out of town for a while and when I get back I expect to see a lot of cuttlefish avis.

19. REVISion

That wasn't a question though. Catching balls behind the LOS and still being hyper productive was always a good thing, not a bad one. The league has also been trending towards shorter passes for an eternity.

Getting better at running routes beyond the LOS was always gravy for Bowers, not a prerequisite for success. I also don't even agree that he didn't do this well at Georgia anyway. If you watched him, he showed tons of ability to get open over the middle and make difficult contested catches. He probably had the best hands in the draft, WRs included.

I guess I can't let this go quite yet because Bowers was basically a perfect prospect in a lot of ways. It was so obvious he'd be really good. Young, hyper productive in the best conference in football, a style of play perfectly suited to the modern NFL, yada yada yada.

And despite all the hair-splitting about TE value, at the end of the day he's a pass-catching offensive weapon. It's basically the most useful non-QB thing you can have.

20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

No one in his right mind would dispute what a great asset he would be to this offense. But the fact remainsif Smith goes down we would not have a QB for long. Bowers would be wasted with no one that can throw him the ball. We desperately need to build the trenches now and for for the future first no matter who our next QB will be.