First game rust?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by typeOnegative13NY, Sep 9, 2024.

1. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Not overly worried about the offense. But the defense was rough. Tackling on the outside of the hash marks is clearly our weakness. And as soon as we went to 5 d- linemen stopping the run, they gutted our pass coverage not named Sauce Gardner.

49ers are a top 3 team. They looked it.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

2. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

When I saw Sherwood on the field I knew it was not going to go well, especially against the run.

3. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

If they can't get a win this week against the Titans whose rookie QB struggled vs the Bears, then those fire Saleh chants will be out in full force.

SOJAZ, teamgreen, ouchy and 1 other person like this.
  4. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

Stop running wide 9 with gaping holes in the alignment against good running teams - THIS, there was no adjustment to stop the run. The lack of a true run stuffer also is problematic. As was the total lack of a pass rush. Non existent! Biggest issue.

Jets79 likes this.
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

How do we not have a run stuffer though after all that investment in the defensive line?

we have the highest paid defensive tackle in the whole league but lack a run stuffer? WTF

where was Quinnen Williams anyway

6. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

They had them, and they were shown the door this past offseason...

NY Jets68 likes this.
  7. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I sure hope it was rust. It looked like men against boys out there. The SF offensive line was opening up some enormous holes.

Hopefully they get their shit together for Tennessee. This game was always a long shot, but they looked significantly worse than I was expecting.

ouchy and stinkyB like this.
  8. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

I was saying the same thing last night. Sauce looked scrawny. Garret Wilson looked scrawny. Their receivers and backs just looked bigger, and stronger than ours and the numbers reflected it. Our D-line was pushed around all night in the run game and we had absolutely ZERO pass rush.
    Our line was good in pass protection, but couldn't open holes for Breece. Rogers looked good, but never had the ball because the D couldn't get off the field ALL NIGHT.

What's disheartening is that great teams rarely get their asses handed to them like that. They may lose a few games, but they don't get manhandled and physically out classed like that. It probably means we are decent, maybe a playoff team, but probably not in the Superbowl conversation. GODDAMNIT.

Jets79 likes this.
  9. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

Might as well bring Rex back if they're going to run their mouths and then not show up on gameday.

SOJAZ and BrowningNagle like this.
  10. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I expected better from the defense, actually I expected much better from the D

The offense, it is what it is. AR hasn't played a game in 18 months. There was gonna be rust, Hall fumbling and Lazard dropping a first in the first Q didn't help either.

11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Who needs a run stuffer when you're always playing with a lead?

12. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

I didn't. This was such an easy one to see coming.

The only true play caller on the team is Rodgers.
    None of the coaches are really play callers.
    I'd Lafluer for that reason, among other things.
    Now we have all RA-RA guys.
    We need somebody like Schotty or I don't know who
    to recognize and take advantage of what the D is giving us

Barry the Baptist likes this.
  13. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

T-H-A-T W-A-S A J-O-K-E!!!

I had zero expectations on the offense other than for Rodgers to stay upright and knock off his rust of not taking a meaningful series of snaps in nearly 2 years.
    Disappointed in the Jets defense...that has to be the biggest understatement of 2024, at least for me. I wasn't disappointed. I was livid. I was so angry last night I can't begin to describe it. I was so mad that my 49'er fan wife was making comments about how "good" Rodgers was and that her team better "watch it" because he could bring them back. She's a good woman but not her fault that the team I've chosen to root for is a fucking dumpster fire, has been a dumpster fire since 1969 and will continue to be a dumpster fire. That defense looked like they took last year, said being in the top 5 isn't for us, so let's fucking dismantle it.

How, how do you go allllllll the way from the end of last season to last night and come out like nothing changed from 2023 except now the defense is going to mirror last year's offense? I don't want to hear all the bullshit excuses either. I've got no time for them. This team is TOO talented, man for man, to look like that. A whole shit ass offseason and Saleh looked like a moronic fucking deer in the headlights by the end of the 2nd quarter. Fucks sake, if I were Woody, I'd have gone down at half time, fired his fucking ass (Hackett too), placed Brant Boyer as interim head coach and looked every swinging dick in the room in the eye and said, "you're playing for your NFL lives this season," and walked out.

Done...

Oh, BTW...Hassan Reddick isn't fixing that fucking mess either.

SOJAZ and teamgreen like this.
  14. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Calm down, guys.

You reap what you sow. This is the Jets football we all have come to love. It all starts from the top. As long as Woody treats this team like a cash cow, this is what we should expect from this team.

15. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Levis isn't a rookie and Bears D is better than you think.

But I agree, the Titans ain't the 49ers and the Jets "should" win.

mezzavo and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  16. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Bears D is definitely decent. They have an All-Pro level corner in JJ, a top edge rusher and good safeties. And they use their top players like they should be used.

mezzavo likes this.
  18. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

10? I've seen this for almost 40 years now.

NY Jets68, barfolomew and mezzavo like this.
  19. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

The Bears were ranked 12 in 2023 so they do not suck. I just find that the Jets typically play down to their competition. There's no low they won't try to approach. It's the oddest thing.

20. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

While we miserably failed to cover the spread against the 49ers the power rankings have not changed much.

We have dropped from 12 to 13 while the 49ers stay at 2 with only the Chiefs ranked higher.

Sure it sucks that all of our divisional rivals won but far too early to hit the panic button.

Fortunately our schedule isn't chock full of top 2 teams so if we dust ourselves off and get back on the horse things will look a bit better.

We have a lot of tape from game one that our coaches and players could potentially learn from.

Onwards and upwards.