Joe Douglas entering his final year without a new contract

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Sep 8, 2024.

1. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I think he's done a better job than the W-L indicates and the talent on the team is really good. I wouldn't extend him right now though. Let's see how the season progresses. Open to an in-season extension if things are going very well

Jets OG fan, JetFanInNE and Jets79 like this.
  2. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I agree…I’d wait and see a few games first…if it all falls apart I think both JD and Saleh are probably gone, and if it goes well and we are winning, I think they get extended

Cman68 likes this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I think we all agree if they suck, you clean house. But what if they are average all year, miss the playoffs, but finish 9-8 and give Joe Douglas/Robert Saleh their first ever "winning" season? Then what do you do

4. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Good question and you’re right…if they ball out or suck balls it’s an easy decision to keep or fire.

The harder call would be what you are asking…what if we’re middle of the road?

I guess my opinion would depend on how the season played out and how we got there. If we had some great wins and some tough losses maybe you keep them both, but if we blew some games we should have won or if the OL sucks again, maybe you think about making a chance at either GM or HC.

It’s all hypothetical at this point…for me, I’ll watch the season play out and then depending on how that all goes, we can form a solid opinion…which of course will mean absolutely nothing to what happens in real life as we don’t control the hiring and firing…(and I still believe that if Woody would ask this board what to do, he’d have made a ton of better decisions than he actually did - we would have NEVER hired Gase or Mac or asked Charley fucking Casserly for any advice on anything…)

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

9-8 and no playoffs ain’t enough for me to want to extend, I don’t care how it happens. I’d clean house there

you have to consider they don’t extend for another year or so, it would be a minimum 3 year commitment. You also have to consider that they are likely to be looking for a new QB again …

teamgreen, Cman68 and Ralebird like this.
  6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Getting 2 firsts from Seattle as soon as he started was the only really good thing he did. And the one good draft where we had 5 top 40 picks, including two in the top 10. After that its been pretty mediocre. Over the last 5 seasons he squandered a lot of picks and a lot of cap.

He's had 8 first round picks in 5 drafts, 7 of them in the top 15. The only quality starters he's got were either top 10 picks (Sauce, Garrett), or more expensive trade ups, (AVT, JJ).

He's had 32 picks outside the first round, and the only starters he's landed for us are Breece, who was also a trade up in a year RBs were heavily devalued, and MC2 in a year he drafted 5 DBs. His dart throw landed one player. Along the way he's given away multiple 2nd and 3rd round picks. He started trading up early in the rebuild which was a clear red flag, including giving away multiple 2nds and 3rds. Every decent starter he's landed outside the top 10 has been a trade up (AVT, JJ, Breece). After pick 35 he's been a bust.

He said his specialty was o-line, yet we've had one of the worst his entire tenure. Becton over Wirfs was a massive miss. Not replacing Becton, Carter Warren, Max Mitchell, Cameron Clark. We have survived at tackle by signing old retreads, even this season, with another first round pick. His only real find was AVT, and that cost a 1st and two 3rds. He's not even average at building an o-line, which was supposed to be his best skill. They are the core of the offense.

He's even worse at identifying good QBs. Zach and James Morgan were huge busts. Tim Boyle, Trevor Seiman, and the ever present Joe Flacco, who he released in 2022 and then gave a 6th to get him back. Finally he sells the house and his soul for an aging Rodgers. This is wisdom - we don't want this guy looking for our next QB.

He's also struggled with WR. The Mims and Moore busts, and he's drafted nobody to replace them. Garrett is his one saving grace and probably the best pick he's ever made.

Then there is his cap management. When he started he cleared our books and freed up more cap than we've had for a decade -over 100 million. That alone should have built a contender in his 2nd/3rd season. Instead we squandered it on overpaying project players (not proven stars like Reddick...projects). We massively overpaid Corey Davis, Carl Lawson, Dwaine Brown, and sorta Solomon Thomas. At WR he wasted tons of cap on Mecole Hardman, Keelan Cole, Brashad Perriman, Randall Cobb, and the worst, Allen Lazard. With the amount cap alone that he spent we shoulda had a .500 team.

Finally there is the coaching hires. Do I really need to go into detail here?

JD is a cobbler. Over his first 4 years we had more high picks and cap money than any other team. And he still didn't field a .500 team. Its the definition of backwater. The process just to get to this one all in season, which took 5 years, is a desperate joke. We should have been here, in better condition, years ago. Even if we make the playoffs he should be let go at the end of the year. He's already screwed the next few years of cap anyways. Enough of the backwater.

#26 ouchy, Sep 9, 2024
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2024
  7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

If they make the playoffs, Joe Douglas has earned a 1 year extension in my mind, and he can sweat it out next year too.

8. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Very frustrating. He came in with the right idea of rebuilding the OL and it seemed to be a priority, he just failed at it.

The Jets are never good when they don’t have a top tier OL.

9. Mark Lattimer

Mark Lattimer Active Member

He's had his ups and downs, but for me, Saleh, with his 18-33 (.353) record as HC after three years, is still a much bigger question mark than Douglas.

10. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

You know who hired Saleh, right?

JohnnyJet, Cman68, 94Abraham and 2 others like this.
  11. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

This is the make or break year for Joe D and His inept HC Salah

Millions spent for the talent : the players are all there in place

it’s shity management x199 here …that’s why the Jets stock is tanking

JohnnyJet and Cman68 like this.
  12. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Maybe the fans will boo loud enough on that Thursday night home opener when we're down by a zillion against the Patriots to force Woody to fire Saleh and Douglas early.

If they couldn't tackle Mason tonight, the Jets are going to make Stevenson look like Jim Brown.

BrowningNagle, JohnnyJet and Cman68 like this.
  13. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

Last year Douglas had a patchwork Oline that knocked Rodgers out for the season. This year he fixes the Oline but let major components of the Dline walk, no Quinton Jefferson, JFM and Huff. So Rodgers was protected but the D regressed. Maddening.

Cman68, Jets81 and stinkyB like this.
  14. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

thats better

15. JohnnyJet

JohnnyJet Member

I've judged them by their record. Nowhere in the hiring, drafting,
    coaching, scouting or managerial offices have I seen any, and I mean any
    outstanding performances that would mitigate the absolute catastrophe
    St. Joe and his keystone cops have perpetrated on this fan base. It's
    kinda like, "That guy over there in Iraq has all those Weapons of Mass
    Destruction", and after the invasion he decides he needs half the worlds
    population to discover there were no weapons of mass destruction to
    begin with. JD knows less about organizing a football team than my
    golden retriever Juji. "JOE MUST GO"!

#35 JohnnyJet, Sep 12, 2024
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2024
    ouchy likes this.
  16. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

If that's not a requiem for a NFL GM, nothing is... On the basis of the above, JD should have been fired at the end of last season if not long ago. We really have to hope Woody finally makes the right hire or gets a true VP of Football Ops in here to make better personnel decisions. Who that guy is has always been our problem though...

ouchy likes this.
  17. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

That’s the real problem though. There is absolutely NO reason to believe Woody would get it right. He hasn’t so far in 20 years. He’s tried different methods…Korn Ferry, former GMs committee, etc. Nothing has worked.

THAT’s our problem. If you look back at his hires, they’ve all been bad. We have zero evidence that Woody knows what the fuck he’s doing, and we have zero evidence that he would hire a great GM.

Ralebird likes this.
  18. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Douglas hired Saleh.
    Douglas drafted ZW
    Douglas drafted Becton
    Douglas drafted Mims
    Douglas drafted Moore
    Douglas let Moses and Fant walk without any viable replacements
    Conklin and Uzomah signed in the same year, yet neither has had any kind of viable threatening production with us.

Most of Douglas’ OL FA signings have been disastrous. Not just bad, disastrous. Khalil retired on him, Duane Brown got Rodgers killed, paid an avg Laken Tomlinson waaaay too much. Dan Feeney

Joe Douglas has been throwing FA band aids all over his draft failures. For that what do we have? 3 superstars on the team, one that he didn’t draft (QW), one who is pushing 40 off an Achilles tear that was JD’s fault to begin with trying to protect the guy with Duane fucking Brown, and Sauce. GW and BH are nice players this far. They’re not superstars. Certainly not yet. In GW’s case he’s certainly not the type of #1 receiver that you can afford to put scrubs at every other WR position.

JD’s record is clear and established. He’s had one good draft. The rest have been poor to downright disastrous. His FA track record has been atrocious. His W/L record is atrocious. The coach he picked is atrocious. The only thing JD has going for him is he inherited a bad team and made it marginally better. He and the entire staff need to go at the end of the year. A SB win is the only thing that I believe should let them keep their jobs. For once Woody is doing the right thing by letting his contract run out.

Red Menace, Cman68 and stinkyB like this.
  19. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

joe d somehow made a really bad offensive line worse for 4 years... gtfoh!

20. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

I've started looking at JD from a different vantage point at this stage. The season has already started out "bad" but, if the team goes to 0-2, odds dictate that they miss the playoffs again. A little early but that seems to be supported by history.

Now, seeing as I'm a manager of people (yes, I know, now pick yourselves up off the floor), when I'm getting ready to move on from an employee one of the first things I do, obviously, is determine if the resource needs replacing. Do a performance review. What are the positives and negatives. Were there any incidents that were beyond the employee's control and, for those that were controllable, how did the resource do? If it is determined that it is time to replace the employee, we move on to the next series of questions:
    1. When do we fire the current resource?
    2. Do we have a list of candidates in mind to backfill?
      1. Have we reached out to them/do they know they are in the running?
    3. If not, how long do we expect the job hunt to take vs. how long will it actually take?
    4. Are we going to conduct the job search in house or are we going to use a 3rd party?
    5. If the hunt is taking longer than expected, what are the contingency plans to run the organization until we do?
    6. Are we having problems finding a candidate?
    Just a beginning.

As I sit and "try" to remove all my Jets homerism out of the equation I take a look at JD's entire body of work. One of the things "we" collectively fail to do here (at least IMHO) is compare our own GM's record amongst his contemporaries. Let's face it, if the team decides to fire JD then the candidate pool is going to be one of those people or near to those people. It's a pretty small group of individuals. Definitely not the same as finding a nurse or a computer engineer. How well/poorly is JD doing when comparing his body of work with other GM's? The reality is, outside of a handful of GM's, he's fairly comparable. Let's take our recent loss and use that team as our barometer. Especially considering the 49'ers have been a "good" for a while.

All you have to do is start and end with the QB. I'll tell you what, if John Lynch hadn't lucked into Brock Purdy we could EASILY be having a discussion as to whether or not the Jets might hire John Lynch off the recently fired pile. The 49'ers have been considered one of the worst drafting teams in the last 10 years. Don't believe me, look it up. One QB and a successful trade or two have saved Lynch's bacon. Coupled with the fact he's got probably one of the best offensive coaches in the game as his head coach. If Kyle Shanahan were coaching the NY Jets, we'd be mud stomping a whole lot of people with the talent the Jets have on offense. That's talent that JD put there. I could go on and on pointing out the good and the bad but, at the end of the day, what is the real question(s)?

Has JD done "enough" to be extended? Has he proven better, much better or considerably better than what this team has trotted out as the GM over the last 20 years+? Has he missed, yup. Any GM that fails to find that holy grail at QB must always be looking over their shoulder. HOWEVER, as you read my questions above, who do we replace him with? Recent Jets history says that the team goes backwards not forwards with a new hire. Of all the GM's that Woody has brought on, he's the best. Not by much but the best. If you disagree, then I personally feel you are lying to yourself if you sit down and objectively compare.

to be quite frank, we have far more of a coaching problem than we do a GM problem. I find that the wins/loss stat is simply not a good barometer for firing a GM unless the team talent is glaringly bad. Personally, I think the talent level is fine. A crap ton of publications, talking heads and pundits would seem to agree. A LOT of people on this board as well. To me, if JD has really failed at anything it's keeping this coaching staff intact and I am not certain he has 100% full control of that situation. I smell a whole lot of Woody all over that. Just my opinion. Sorry for the long diatribe but, hopefully, is food for thought. o_O

Ptflea2 likes this.