Haason Reddickulous Holdout

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jessedark, Jul 31, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

He is what his record says he is. His job is to put together a winning roster and so far, he's come up short. Maybe things change this year. If they don't, it might be the end of the road. JD is all in, but this Reddick episode is not his finest hour.

2. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

Aiyuk did not hold out. He reported while they negotiated. That is exactly what Douglas is asking of Reddick.

JetFanInNE, LAJet and mezzavo like this.
  3. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

The jets will line JJ up against the 9ers back up tackle.

That is not a wash.

Cman68, mezzavo and Jets OG fan like this.
  4. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Well said. It's not as if he's had a half decade to get this team it's second winning season since 2010.

5. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

27 pages talking about a dude that isn't here, barely showed up long enough to sign his trade, didn't attend one second of any team activity and didn't get to know one teammate (this part being pure speculation of course). Personally, other than the trade itself, JD has handled this perfectly. I simply can't fathom a player not getting his ass into the building for at least ONE team activity. To be frank, at this point, I'm kind of stunned he even showed up to sign the trade paperwork. I'd also be stunned if he even has a playbook. It's blatantly clear he doesn't want to be on the Jets, never did and never plans to be. My guess is, if the team is doing really well, he'll show up and expect to get playing time. If I were running the show the guy would NEVER step foot inside the Jets building ever again all the while doing whatever it took to string his ass along. Maybe a trade BACK to Carolina would set him straight. That's a well run organization....NOT. They make the Jets look normal by comparison. lol!!

Nothing pisses me off, personally, than someone who operates in "bad faith" with NO intention of ever trying to work something out. That may be infantile but so be it. They're all a bunch of bitchy millionaires anyway.

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think I saw him wearing a Jets t-shirt once.

mezzavo and IDFjet like this.
  7. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

Actually, the best way to screw him is not to trade him and not to give him back any of the money he forfeited (including the portion of the signing bonus he forfeited). He either shows up by game 6 or we own his ass next year and then we also don't make him whole for any of the forfeitures and losses he incurred through these actions. He can then hold out next year too (when we'll still be in the superbowl hunt) and then get tolled another year. How many years in the NFL does he have left being a speed rusher at his age. Players and agents are watching what he's doing and he needs to make it obvious that this is not a path they should want to follow.

If Reddick has any brains at all (and i admit its debatable), then he knows he has put himself into a no win situation and he should be looking for an exit ramp, which he can do by showing up early next week, so he doesn't forfeit any further game checks (he's already forfeited 3/18th of his salary in addition to his other penalties and forfeitures) and make sure his contract doesn't get tolled. I guess we'll see what he does.

burf, KY Jets Fan, AtlantaJet and 2 others like this.
  8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Right way to do business.

burf, JetFanInNE and mezzavo like this.
  9. mezzavo

Exactly. Get yer keister into OTA's, mini-camp, camp....SOMETHING! Anything to show you give two shits. I will NEVER understand a player, completely sight unseen, asking for asinine money.:rolleyes:

Suuurrreee...we'll give you a cool $25+ Mill a year! You don't need to show up and prove you can actually STILL play. Here ya go! Said no NORMAL GM ever... JD has no idea what that fool has been doing the entire offseason. He could have been eating Twinkies since the day the Eagles got bounced. Simply unreal...

burf, KY Jets Fan and JetFanInNE like this.
  10. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Have you judged whether Reddick and/or Douglas have operated in "bad faith," after all, we really don't know what has been going on at all as far as any negotiations since the beginning.

mezzavo likes this.
  11. mezzavo

All we know, for a fact, is that guy hasn't stepped one toe anywhere near the Jets outside the 5 minutes he took to sign his trade. Period. The fact the dude hasn't been in the building for squat diddly tells me all I need to know from HIS perspective...or, at least, a highly accurate "reasonable guess." Seriously, have you EVER heard of a guy signing with a team and never showing up...ever. Period? Trade or otherwise? Not to have lunch to hang in the cafeteria? Drop by for an OTA to at least see how things are done? Nothing?

Like I said, I may not be able to confirm any of my suspicions but "some things" around human nature aren't all that difficult to figure out.

LAJet likes this.
  12. coloradojet

coloradojet Active Member

What made Reddick think that he was going to get a three year deal for $25 million a year from the Jets when the Jets wouldn't sign Huff for 17million a year?

mezzavo and Cman68 like this.
  13. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Maybe because Reddick knows he's a much better player than Huff?

At his age, Reddick knows this is his best, last chance at a fat contract. That's what this is all about. Nothing more, nothing less.

Ralebird, ouchy, mezzavo and 2 others like this.
  14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Well said. There is nothing really to confirm in my opinion, does anyone truly think that the agreement was based on the following “ I’ll accept this contract, but I’ll only show up if and when I have a new contract?

15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

they haven’t even been negotiating. Douglas shared that they haven’t spoken in weeks

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

From every report I have read, it sounds like the Jets believe problem will just go away on its own.

aka Joe Douglas has a problem dealing with the agents.

17. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Yeah, but the teams know about his age too. It's now what you HAVE DONE, it what they think you WILL DO. Reddick is under contract, he is not a free agent. If he is worried he can't get a 25 mil deal next year because he is old, so do all the GMs. Which is why he was traded to the Jets for a relatively small draft comp and agreed to a trade without an extension. There was no one out there offering an extension along with the trade or his agent would demand to go there. He will be 31 next year and relies on speed. Everyone knows that, including himself, his agent, and every single GM out there.

He is not getting 25 mil extension from anyone. Huff is young and at 17 mil he would have been a much better longer term solution. And if Reddick continues his holdout a shorter term too.

18. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

This is exactly why he needs to show up. His next contract depends on him having another big year, if he sits half the year his stats will take a huge hit along with his bank account.

KY Jets Fan and mezzavo like this.
  19. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

I agree. My response was answering someone's question.

NOVAJET and mezzavo like this.
  20. AtlantaJet

AtlantaJet Well-Known Member

Some things to consider 1) He owes 2 million in fines, he needs to pay them back 2) He needs to show up by December if he doesn't want to remain under contract to the Jets for 2025. 3) Jets have said they won't negotiate until he is in the building (seems like they have stuck to this) 4) He does need to have good showing when he comes back if he wants a high paying contract next season

His options:

1) Sit out entire season: This would mean he would miss an entire year's salary, still owe 2 million in fines and be under contract to the Jets for 2025.

2) Continue to sit out hoping the Jets will miss him enough to negotiate. This is not likely to happen unless the Jets have massive injurie to their D-line and feel they have no other choice. He theoretically could do this until December if he wants freedom from the Jets in 2025, but he losses a game check every week he holds out and the Jets are not going to make up salary for games missed AND the amount of the fines if he holds out multiple games.

3) Come back ASAP and start playing negotiating. Some sacks right away will make both sides feel better and the Jets more inclined to at least make for the fines and maybe boost his salary a bit for this year, maybe even offer an extension (I would only do this based on incentives rather than a high base salary).

It seems like number option three would make the most sense for Riddick. I don't think the Jets break their rule of negotiating while he continues to hold out since they have so many contracts to negotiate soon and they want to set an example.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.