Haason Reddick's Holdout

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jessedark, Jul 31, 2024.

1. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Great post.

Buttttt....I think you're wrong about the Huff/ Williams situation. Mike Williams was RELEASED by the Chargers. I think that disqualifies him as a UDFA because his contract technically didn't expire. I could be wrong, but I think that's how it works. Williams had another year left on his contract, eventhough it wasn't guaranteed.

ouchy likes this.
  2. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

So, I’m capable of having a civil, grown man conversation. Apparently this is all a little too much for you. Go smoke a joint, take a hike through the forest, or perhaps go back to school to learn how to have civil debate. I didn't move the goalposts, I said we don’t need Reddick until the playoffs. I also said I think he will be here whenever he absolutely must report to avoid losing eligibility. I believe that date is Sep 3rd. If you disagree and can’t seem to handle a dissenting point of view from yours without insults please feel free to move on or put me on ignore, or perhaps some counseling on life skills.

SOJAZ, Ralebird and mezzavo like this.
  3. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Someone may have to correct me but, I did some research... Yes, yes, yes...now pick yourselves up off the floor from shock! LOL

Actually, I "think" as long as Reddick plays in 6 games this season he can say he's accrued a full season. Not sure about the Sep 3 report date. I try to read some of those rules and I don't know how anyone deciphers them. Lawyer speak I am not well versed in. LOL!

I, personally, still hold fast that if the guy doesn't show up game 1 then piss on him. I know it was pre-season but, from what I saw from our current group, I'll take my chances with them. You can't teach "want to" or a "high motor" and I saw both in a ton of those guys. Is anyone else bewildered by the fact that this guy (JD) hits on undrafted FA's the way he does? At this rate, the team should just make picks 1-3 and then go to the UDFA's! There's got to be some stat somewhere that tracks things like this.

4. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

I have to agree...there are NO excuses this year. Outside of Rodgers/Taylor staying healthy, nothing about this roster screams anything other than "playoffs!" :eek:

I think the Jets are uniquely talented in exactly the positions we need to stop the teams in the East which should be good enough to stop the rest of the AFC. Just crossing my fingers in 50 different ways that Rodgers stays healthy. That guy plays all 17 and the Jets SHOULD compete for the division and SHOULD compete deep into the playoffs. Shoulda, woulda, coulda...and now, someone please stop me...this is when the Jets are their most infuriating. They have the QB, they have the team...do they have the coaching and can they stay healthy? I'm beginning to hyperventilate at the possibilities. Now......we wait until the carpet is pulled from under us.... As it usually is but refer back to my crossing of fingers 50 different ways.......:D:cool:

5. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

i think he's talking about the jets getting a comp pick for williams after he signs elsewhere in '25

mezzavo likes this.
  6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Douglas: *slams dick in car door*
    TGG: Masterful gambit sir!

7. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

The accruing a full season counts towards being a unrestricted free agent or a restricted free agent. A player needs 4 years of accrued service to be an unrestricted free agent. Reddick already has accrued more than 4 years of service, so this isn't relevant for him (this issue comes into play with players who are on the practice squad and are only called up for certain games). This is separate and apart from the issue of when a player on the last year of his deal's contract tolls (continues for an additional year because he didn't show up). I believe that if Reddick doesn't report by Game 6, his contract tolls meaning that the contract continues for an additional year, so the Jets would continue to have his rights for next year and he can't sign a free agent deal with anyone else. The terms would rollover for an additional year, but there would be offsets/reductions for all the penalties he's incurred and any requirement to return part of his signing bonus for the missed year (which could be as much as $5 million since he signed a 3 year deal and about one-third of his approximately $15 year signing bonus would have to be returned, unless the Jets waive that).

mezzavo and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I think your right about Williams not being a RFA. I remember reading that one of our signings, even before Reddick, undid the Huff loss. I was using Williams as an example of how the system works, and that we wont be getting any comps from this offseason.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  9. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

He was making two different points.

He said that Huff's signing this offseason (and subsequent comp pick) was offset by us signing Mike Williams. That's wrong. Mike Williams was RELEASED from his contract and there fore does not count on the comp pick formula.
    Maybe Tyron Smith. I think his contract expired with Dallas.

ouchy and All Gas No Shake like this.
  10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Seems like Reddick does not understand the situation he is getting himself into

Doreblade likes this.
  11. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

He overestimated his value to the Jets and believed that the Jets would cave. If you've followed the franchise over the last few years, its pretty obvious that JD does not cave. Think about all those times when JD was trying to trade up to get a player, like JJ, Breece Hall, Corley, etc. Each of these were players that he desperately wanted and he called every team for at least half a round to trade up to get them, but he set his price and wouldn't pay more (and I'm sure that some of those GMs would do the trade at a far higher price). Most Jet GMs would have caved and way overpaid in draft capital to get their player. Not JD. Also, with all the young talent he has, he would be courting disaster if he did cave and he's smart enough to know that. JD is also smart enough to know that there is real value in making Reddick a cautionary tale for anyone else thinking of doing this and agents will remember this in the future and, normally, if a GM played real hardball with a player, like JD is doing here, he'd risk that the players friends on the team would be alienated and maybe hold it against them in the future. As Reddick has never showed up for anything, he has no such relationships with any Jets players. Hence he's the perfect guy to make an example out of.

The simple fact of the matter is that, other than the 49ers, the Jets don't play any other good teams until week 6 (the bills) or later. Now he can not show up by then, but then the Jets will have his rights for next year. Some people are saying that he'll show up because he doesn't want to forfeit game checks, but he's already forfeited 3 game checks (each pre-season game missed results in a forfeiture of 1/18th of the players salary). He's likely assuming that the Jets will waive that if he shows up, but I think JD may not waive that at all as he recognizes the value of making Reddick into a cautionary tale.

12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Spot on. Some are throwing way too much mud down JDs way without knowing the facts.

themorey likes this.
  13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

CHECK AND MATE

Reminds me of the footage of the draft when he was masterfully telling the room who was moving ahead of him in the draft, looking like someone who had just swallowed a live eel as they played dramatic music.

14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

No recent conversations have occurred according to GM Joe Douglas

15. jessedark

jessedark Active Member

I wonder what his conversations with his agent are like? "Just a liiittle bit longer Hassan and they'll be just where we want'em."

16. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yeah the unfortunate part for Reddick is that he has literally zero leverage. Don’t play and not only do you not get paid, but the contract tolls to next year, so you gain nothing. He’ll either show up for week 1 to play and get paid (which at this point looks very unlikely), or he’ll show up at week 6 or 7, whichever one he needs to be in by in order to get credit for the year. Other than than, it’s sit out the year

While I do think JD should have settled this all out before finalizing the trade, if he believed Reddick saying he’d be here or not, at this point, I get what JD is doing, and I’d do the same. Come in, we’ll work something out, and let’s play ball. Don’t come in, then fine, suit yourself, but we’re not trading you and we’re not redoing a deal until you show up.

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Maybe they are waiting it out for that “leverage”

, if the Jets start 0-2 or something Joe D might wanna get off his ass and make a better offer to get Reddick in here

Joe Douglas can’t afford another losing season.

Saleh too for that matter.

Jets79 and abyzmul like this.
  18. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I read this morning that JD said if Reddick would report to camp they would restart negotiations, but not before. So he is playing hardball because everyone knows once you report you cant leave without looking far worse than just holding out.

Jets79 likes this.
  19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

In terms of the contract negotiations, Reddick's the one in the wrong. Dude's insane. It's also on Douglas for trading for an insane dude.

20. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think there’s plenty of blame on both sides…just saw the press conference notes where JD said they tried to do an extension, couldn’t get it done, but felt ok going through with the trade anyway. Kind of shows that JD knows he has the leverage. Not much Reddick can do except sit out. So he was willing to take the chance. We’ll see if that turns out to be the right decision or not.

But it certainly carried risk.

Player is to blame as well … show up and negotiate.

ouchy likes this.