Boomer floats Riddick for Adams trade

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by joelip, Aug 13, 2024.

1. Not Sure

Not Sure Active Member

Boomer is being dumb here. He has to make up things to say about football.

Every other GM right now is like when you drive by an accident and think "glad it's not me".

Tom Telesco is going to trade one of the best receivers in the league who is also a good locker-room guy for a holdout headache?

Because he's just stupid?

SOJAZ and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. AtlantaJet

AtlantaJet Well-Known Member

Not necessarily true. A team with a lot of cap space that needs d-line help may make a trade offer. Said team would probably suck...

3. Not Sure

Not Sure Active Member

You don't see the irony of this comment?

4. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

They said Riddick would show up and continue negotiations in camp. But we made him an offer before camp that he rejected. Its entirely possible that he was told that offer was final, thus the holdout.

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Good to see you back. Hope you've had a great summer. Even so, the way he's going about it is stupid. He could have reported and done a "hold in" where he got to know the players and coaches, built relationships, and shown in his workouts that he was still in great shape, and the Jets probably would have upped their offer and tried to come to some compromise. Besides, he had agreed to be there for OTAs, Mini-camp and TC and the Jets told him that it could be discussed this summer. If Reddick was so worried about injury, he could have taken an insurance policy for the offseason practices.

SOJAZ, Not Sure and ouchy like this.
  6. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Nobody is going to trade for Reddick. Why would another team come in and bail the Jets out of this situation that they are solely responsible for? The Jets just made one of the all-time dumb, self-inflicted contract impasses ever, and the rest of the league is going to continue doing what they're doing: pointing and laughing and saying "Same Old Jets".

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I don’t think he will be traded because Joe D would look like the biggest idiot if he traded a 3rd for a guy only to trade him for less months later.

But you can bet there are several teams looking to pounce on that dysfunction and get a premier pass rusher for cheap

abyzmul likes this.
  8. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

True.

I don't see him trading him, though. Certainly him being relieved of his GM duties would be just around the corner if he did end up trading Reddick, unless he somehow got back what he gave up (which he certainly won't).

9. NCJetsfan

First of all, I disagree that JD would look like an idiot for trading him, unless there wasn't an agreement in the first place. His justification would be that Reddick changed his mind or lied, and is holding out and they don't want or need the distraction. That said, I don't think JD will trade him, but if he does, I don't think it would be for less than he paid for him. Trading a 2026 3rd round pick is like trading a 6th round pick this year, so it's not like he gave up the farm to get him. It wouldn't take much to get equal value. He holds the leverage. He doesn't have to trade Reddick. If Reddick holds out all year, the Jets will keep his rights. If Reddick shows up he has to play for his present contract. JD would only trade him if he gets equal or close to what he paid for him. He knows that sooner or later Reddick will cave and show up rather than keep missing on game checks, not getting paid, and winding up in the exact same position next offseason. He wants to be a FA next year. In order to do that, he has to play and play well this season and stay injury free. The longer he holds out, the greater the chances that when he does show up, he winds up getting injured or not playing that well, because he won't be in football shape.

Jets79 likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

I disagree that he would be relieved of his GM duties, and that he won't get back what he gave up. He traded a 2026 3rd round pick which is the equivalent of a 2024 6th round pick. All he'd have to get back is a 6th round pick, or maybe a 2025 4th or 5th round pick, or he could get a player at S or IOL for depth. With the cap space, he could turn around and sign Justin Simmons, and that might make the team better than Reddick would.

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  11. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

We'd all love to have Haason on our front line. But go back 2 years just before the draft that netted us Sauce/Garrett/Jermaine/Breece/. There was much discussion that Saleh would NEVER push for a DB at 4 overall, simply b/c his defense doesn't value DBs. Saleh's D is all about the front 7. Saleh wants great pass rushers and great D-lineman, not great DBs. Saleh's D relies on the front end, not the back end.

BUT...then we drafted for Sauce, and picked up DJ Reed. And Just like that, Saleh has a top rated back end. Something he's never had before.

So, by getting a top rated back-end, did that reduce our need for a star studded d-line???

Originally, Saleh only needed DBs that could cover for 1 to 1.5 seconds, b/c after that, his d-line would have the QB on his ass. But now Saleh has DBs that can cover for 2-3+ seconds routinely. Has this lowered his need for a star studded d-line?

I get it. We'd love a top rated d-line AND a top rated secondary. But that may not be practical. Not sure if we can give Haason a new, rich contract on top of Quinnen's new rich contract, with Jermain in the wings, AND give Sauce a new contract that makes him the highest paid non-QB in the league. Plus DJ Reed and MC somewhere in the mix.

I think Joe Douglas was hoping Haason would play out the last year of his contract, the decide during the next offseason what to do with him. Keep all his options open for his own players he has to re-up very soon.

So we'll see!

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

I disagree. Reddick will be 30 when his next contract begins. He made his contract demands to the eagles and they passed. He made his demands to the jets and they passed, even after giving up a 3rd rounder. His demands are so outrageous that the jets are choosing the option of looking stupid in this whole thing just to avoid paying him what he wants. That gives you an idea of how astronomical his contract demands are. All of this gives me the impression he is looking for top edge rusher money, which he’s not going to get at his age. I don’t think anyone is “lining up” to pay an old guy top tier money, and if anyone was, it would be the team who just traded for him and risks losing a top 100 draft pick. If they’re not going to do it, no one else is. He’s going to have to come down to market value before anyone gives him a new deal.

#32 Bills over Jets, Aug 14, 2024
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2024
    Not Sure, SOJAZ and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I mostly agree with you. Joe D has not looked great through this. Even if Reddick or his agent did "lie," bringing in a guy who wanted a big time deal is a dumb move if you dont plan on paying it.

Having said that, if he was able to flip Reddick for Davante Adams, I think that would actually be a pretty good move.

14. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Really? Even if the trade price is nothing, everything Reddick says and does screams: I'm hard to please and VERY expensive.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. BrowningNagle

there could be some exaggeration on his asking price, we don’t know what it is

16. twown

twown Well-Known Member

He can play one year for the Jets, who clearly have an awesome D on paper, and a win-now roster. He can do that.

Instead, he's insisting on a ANOTHER trade so he can get a huge multi-year deal. What GM wants to snap that up, and how can it possible be cheap?

17. BrowningNagle

he can and he probably will. He wouldn’t be the 1st human to prefer some long term stability though

18. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. If Rodgers can stay healthy, the Jets should have little difficulty putting points on the scoreboard early enough in the game to make the other team have to play from behind (the way the Jets have done for the last decade.) When you're playing from behind, you have little choice but to throw the ball to catch up. The defense should have an easier time when all they have to worry about is the pass. As presently constituted, the Jets defense should have enough to make life difficult for any team that is forced to rely on the passing game to win.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

Good post!

The need for the top-rated DL could also diminish because hopefully our offense will score a lot more points this season, be in the lead, and thus force opposing offenses to abandon the run and throw the ball, and then our Edge rushers won't have to worry so much about stopping the run and can tee off on the QB. Ulbrich also showed last season that he can and will blitz on occasion. Further, if Reddick doesn't show up or if JD changes his mind and trades him, the Jets could sign Justin Simmons with the cap space that Reddick would have used, and Simmons might make the D better overall than Reddick would have.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  20. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I agree. He's too old to sit out the season. He's just about over the hill for an athletic edge rusher.

NCJetsfan likes this.