Horror Flick Fans: List Your Faves (Made For TV/Sci-Fi Mixes Welcome) & Critique Away

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by jetophile, Oct 28, 2017.

1. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

Is this on any streaming service?

2. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

barfolomew likes this.
  3. jetophile

Does anyone despise Christmas like I do? You do? Good! Seeing as it's Christmas in July, may I recommend 'You Better Watch Out'. I saw it a couple of years ago (right near Christmas as a matter of fact - I love me some Christmas slay), and I re-watched it the other day.

Part 'When a Stranger Calls' (parodied on purpose), part 'Home Alone' (parodied on purpose), part 'The Strangers' (parodied on purpose), part 'Silent Night, Deadly Night' (parodied on purpose), part 'Scream' (parodied on purpose), babysitter Ashley and her charge outsmart . . . well . . . psyche! It's not the typical home invasion you think it is.

The big twist is the kid Ashley is babysitting is a psycho. He's hellbent on killing her because he has a crush on her and her ex-boyfriends have to go mostly because he's jealous, not because he wants to protect her.

A really fun and violent escapist film for a sweltering day spent indoors. You're welcome.

Edit: The trailer wouldn't take.

#403 jetophile, Jul 7, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2024
    Jets OG fan likes this.
  4. jetophile

'The Terrible Two' it sounds enticing, right? Wrong. I often watch horror flicks in my kitchen while I'm cooking. Forget slicing veggies, the knife is better used for slicing your wrists to make it stop. Even the worse than fake blood can't save it. After a while I was hoping that this woman's dead twins would kill everyone involved in this film in real life for doing this to me.

5. jetophile

'Terrifier'. OK, so the Clown is pretty wo-rad as far as killer clowns go, but the movie is severely down graded by the idiot brunette who has every opportunity to escape but decides to challenge the Clown when she could easily . . . drumroll . . . RUN AWAY AND LIVE. I was almost glad she got shot in the face five times for her stupidity.

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I couldn't find any redeeming qualities for that one, it's a Z-grade flick that looks like it was filmed on a smartphone and somehow the post millennials love it.

7. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Saw this one a couple of weeks ago. Hadn't heard anything about it other than the fact that a lot of people seemed to be talking about it, so I went in blind and was very pleasantly surprised. And, as you said, Datsmalchian was great in this one, as was the rest of the cast as well.

jetophile likes this.
  8. jetophile

I did like the Art the Clown make up, and the zoom in on the Metrocard, I thought that was amusing in a world of suck. I didn't say it was a world beater, for Chrissake. Plus, the tits were wildy unnecessary, and the saw down the middle was a direct ripoff from 'Bone Tomahawk', which is 1000% times superior.

'Clown' (2014) is leagues better than this. The actor who plays Kent starts to strangely resemble Vincent D'Onofrio, haha.

I'm always on the fence about Eli Roth. Thoughts on that?

9. abyzmul

Bone Tomahawk was great, I don't get scared from horror movies anymore the way that one got me.

I thought Eli Roth was really going to start making some good stuff after Cabin Fever but he never delivered for me unless he was swinging a bat.

10. jetophile

When I first saw 'Bone Tomahawk' I was going, hold on, is this kinda racist? But then when the Native American guy goes they're savages, they're troglodytes, we don't mess with them kinda thing, I felt better about it.

And no one says what's a troglodyte, hahaha. The blind and pregnant cripples were the most terrifying part of the flick, IMO. Why didn't they just shove those wooden spikes all the way into their skulls on the way out? A head scratcher.

Speaking of troglodytes . . . Post #28. I'm really stupid, and I probably didn't do it right:

https://forums.theganggreen.com/thr...lcome-critique-away.89295/page-2#post-3619148"]

11. jetophile

Another 'Nosferatu' remake. Could be good. I know the Director used Willem Dafoe because he used him in 'The Lighthouse'. Lover or hate that movie, I really dig when Directors do that.

So here's where this gets really fun. Willem Dafoe played actor Max Schreck in 'Shadow of the Vampire', who played Count Orlok in THAT movie in a fictional account of the making of the original 'Nosferatu' (1922). I know that sounds really confusing. Anyway, Willem Dafoe played Nosferatu, and now he's in 'Nosferatu'.

'Shadow of the Vampire' is great, btw. Don't
    be fooled by the shitty trailer or anything else. The movie is more about being obsessed by your art. It is very well done and there are some parts that are creepy af. Eddie Izzard, that's all I'm gonna say. The filmmaker is an acquaintance of mine.

"The filming of Nosferatu (1922) is hampered by the fact that its star Max Schreck is taking the role of a vampire far more seriously than seems humanly possible."

#411 jetophile, Jul 15, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2024
    abyzmul likes this.
  12. jetophile

'Longlegs'. I love Maika Monroe, and I will see anything with her in it ('Villains' was great). Can't wait to see it, will report back.

13. abyzmul

He was a dead ringer.

14. jetophile

Haha, I had a Max Schreck/Orlok avatar back in the day with Count Orlok dying in the sunlight in my signature. Go Jets!

There's a reason why the original 'Nosferatu: A Symphony of Horror' has stood the test of time, even though Count Orlok runs around with his coffin during the day, ha. It was very groundbreaking.

He was named Count Orlok in order to avoid copyright infringement from Bram Stoker's estate. The new flick keeps the same name.

Warner Herzog's 1979 version is very good. Klaus Kinski slurping Isabelle Adjani's neck interminably is pretty nauseating.

15. jetophile

'Shark Side of the Moon'. Blehhh, it had so much Sharknado potential, but got grounded by the suck. Mutant shark hybrids are catapulted to the Moon by Russian scientists. A space ship full of Americans crash lands there.

Russians, 'Murica, bad acting, terrible effects, skip this one unless you feel like committing suicide by Moon dreck.

I love Tubi, btw, haha.

16. jetophile

'The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb' (1964), not to be be confused with 'The Mummy's Curse' (1944). I give tons of leeway to Hammer House, which I generally adore, but this movie is terrible in all the wrong ways.

It's about some damsel in distress, who is either French or Italian (her accent varies). Her archeologist father gets his hand cut off by some (white) Egyptian marauders.

Boredom and head-nodding ensues with obligatory cleavage. A Richard Burton wannabe resurrects his dead brother from the ages (the mummy), has his own left hand cut off in a door. The mummy is also missing a hand. I don't know what the hand significance is, and I couldn't care less. It's not like they were Muslims cutting off left hands for stealing, but it has something to do with stealing? The mummy was from 5,000 BC or some shit.

Sadly no Christopher Lee here. Just some back lot jackass. Avoid unless you have insomnia.

17. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Zacherly had a New Year's Eve special in the late sixties where he cut up what he claimed was the last surviving print of some movie as it came off the projecter; it might have well been one of the Mummy flicks.

jetophile likes this.
  18. jetophile

Holy Smokes, John Zacherle/Zacherley, hahaha. He kicked the pail at the ripe old age of 98. I actually know who he is because . . . ya know . . . horror . . . .A precursor to MST3K!!!

19. jetophile

'Alone in the Dark' a movie based on a video game, what could go wrong? EVERYTHING.

Christian Slater and Tara Reid pair as a paranormal detective/investigator (whatever) and an archeologist to stop an ancient race called Asshole (or something like it) from releasing demons upon the world.

Avoid at all costs unless you're so bored it's either this or stabbing yourself in the face for entertainment.

20. jetophile

'Frankenstein Conquers the World', hilarious good fun. Will ANYONE ever get that Frankenstein is the DOCTOR and NOT the monster?! I mean, goddamn it (see 'Frankenstein vs the Mummy post).

So Dr. Frankenstein's heart is stolen from a laboratory in Japan. A kid who is half retarded gets the heart transplant??? Who is to say, I can't catch up with the dubbing. He's also part ape and wears a diaper.

'Frankenstein' grows exponentially and cannot be controlled! He also battles some shitty monsters.