Should NYJ make a move for Stephon Gilmore?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by IDFjet, Jun 15, 2024.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

We traded for Cromartie in the prime of his career, I don’t really consider him a mercenary.

Chris Johnson worked out for the Jets? Jason Taylor?

LT played 29 games for the Jets and rushed for 1,132 yards and was a decent third down back.

I mean you’re talking about guys at the end of their career that cashed in and were role players at best for us.

We’ve also had the below since then…
    Plaxico Burress
    Derrick Mason
    Darrelle Revis (part II)
    Tim Tebow
    Yeremiah Bell
    Kellen Winslow
    Percy Harvin
    Buster Skrine
    Matt Forte
    Demaryius Thomas
    Trumaine Johnson
    Le’Veon Bell
    James Carpenter
    Kelvin Beachum
    Avery Williamson
    Jarrad Davis
    Corey Davis
    Carl Lawson
    CJ Uzomah

I mean we got two decent years out of Eric Decker, one out of Brandon Marshall, 3 interceptions in half a year from Ed Reed and maybe a couple others I’m missing here and there. But for the most part none of these guys were serious contributors. Most were over the hill and underwhelming performers to their career averages.

It’s tough to bring in over the hill veterans to trash cultures and get more out of them like winning teams do.

HomeoftheJets, Jets79 and dawinner127 like this.
  2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The Jets are like the most popular craft coffee shop in the NFL. Everybody has a cup of coffee with us!

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No, the Jets have the best CB trio in the NFL. Why would they want to break that up in an "all-in" year? Football is a team game and chemistry/communication are key. It's not an all-star game, where one can just bring in anyone and things will be the same or better. Even if Gilmore is better than Reed, which I'm not sure I agree with, he may not be as good in this scheme and with Sauce and MC2. Players have down years, or as dmw suggested, other factors such as Reed having to cover other team's top WRs could have accounted for his lesser play last season. If Reed has another off season this year, the Jets can let him walk in FA next year, and that solves a problem of whom to pay and helps the cap.

I think there's a good chance that Stiggers develops and he becomes the Jets #2 CB next season. I think Echols may be gone after this season. He commits a fair number of penalties when he plays, he's a FA next season, and with his off-field issues, the Jets could just let him walk, especially if Stiggers continues to impress. Having a true ball hawk like him in the secondary would be amazing.

I also disagree with the idea of moving MC2 outside as a couple of posters suggested. He's the best slot CB in the NFL. Why would the Jets want to move him outside? That makes zero sense to me. Leave him where he is the best. He could be much less effective outside. There are always good FA CBs available, there are usually plenty in the draft, and Stiggers could be ready to start by next season.

#23 NCJetsfan, Jun 20, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2024
  4. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Agreed.

Although the fact that it's not something that they should do almost means that we should probably expect them to announce this very move sometime next week. :D

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I'm not saying your take is incorrect but you left out the 5mm extra cap space that would be gained by adding the Gilmore contract and merely jettisoning the DJ contract.

Gilmore is borderline HOF-his learning curve in any defense will not be steep.

I think for the reasons you state and others, its 55/45 to keep Reed for 1 last year if they were making the same money, but since they're not, its something to consider imo.

6. NCJetsfan

I agree that it's a valid thing to consider, and it was a good thought on your.part to bring it up for discussion. I can see why you and others might be in favor of it.

IMO in an "all in" year, chemistry and continuity are more important than saving $5 million on the cap. If this was just about any other year, if they'd save $20 million rather than just $5 million, or if they really needed the money to sign another starter or backup, then yes, I'd be much more inclined to make that move, but not when they're trying to get to and win a SB in what may be Rodgers' last year. At least it's not something I would do, but I could see others making that move.

It isn't the learning curve with Gilmore. As someone said, he's more of a man cover CB rather than a zone CB. This scheme may not fit his talents/skill set, and he could be much less effective in this scheme, and he may not mesh well with Sauce, MC2, Ulbrich and Saleh. Chemistry, communication, and being on the same page are critical imo.

For me, based on the info I have of the situation, it's more like 95-5 to keep Reed. IMO it's just too risky and the positives of making that move are just too small. It would be typical Jets luck to make that move, then Reed have a huge bounce-back year with his new team, and Gilmore either not mesh well in this D and have a bad season, or get seriously injured and miss 2/3 of the season or more.

EDIT: There's one caveat to the foregoing. We don't know all the details of the situation. If the Jets saw or think that Reed's talents are starting to seriously wane/fall off a cliff, if there is some injury to Reed that we don't know about, or there's some other extenuating circumstance, then my mind could change.

#26 NCJetsfan, Jun 21, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2024
    IDFjet likes this.
  7. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I still feel violently ill that Jason Taylor wore a Jets uniform. He did get a safety vs the Steelers in 2010, but I was too busy trying not to hurl to care.

Jets OG fan, mezzavo and jets_fan like this.
  8. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I’m in the camp of keep Reed, forget Gilmore, and if we have money to use, let’s go get a WR or TE…someone who can contribute on offense
    The defense is fine

mezzavo, NCJetsfan and jets_fan like this.
  9. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

That would require a complete 180 degree switch in the philosophy of this front office. :D

10. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

The point is you do not have the money if you keep Reed--you get the money if you switch to Gilmore. Just adding this.

11. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Ok fair point…I don’t know enough about where Gilmore is at now and if he’d be as good as Reed or not…personally, I’d stay the course and just keep Reed…

12. NCJetsfan

I'm not so sure. They focused on the offense in the draft, and largely also in FA. They know that they have a top 3 D. They can't say the same about the offense.

13. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

There aren’t really any meaningful options at most positions right now so clearing cap space is somewhat useless.

James Washington is allegedly working his ass off to get back into the league. I’d throw him a camp invite right now to be WR5/6.

Jedi mind tricks likes this.
  15. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I always thought the Steelers used him too much for his talent level in the sample of games I saw him in.

Regarding cap space, it carries over--I wouldn't call is useless lol.