Welcome to the Jets Braelon Allen (RB)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Hemi, Apr 27, 2024.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I love big power backs

westiedog1 and abyzmul like this.
  2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

He's already being shuffled to the side. They are just saving face for him by keeping him around. Saleh has to babysit him now.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I wanted Allen, but when I brought him up a month or so ago, someone said that he wasn't a good pass protector and I think that he had a bit of a fumbling problem. Does anyone know if either of those things are true?

4. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I’m Scott Dierking and I approve of this message.

5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I liked the way he ran through defenders and stiff-armed DBs.

Joe told him to 'stay violent'!

6. NCJetsfan

7. abyzmul

Can't wait to see this dude run over some of those big-mouthed undersized defenders in Buffalo.

Ptflea2, NY Jets68 and Footballgod214 like this.
  8. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

Another weird pick. We needed a fullback?

9. NCJetsfan

What's weird about it? He isn't a fullback, he's a powerback, who also happens to be fast. We needed a 3rd RB, as the Jets had Breece, Izzy, and two wannabes on the roster. He can get the tough yards, save some wear and tear on Breece, and God forbid, if Breece should be injured again, we'd have a viable starter at RB. I think this was a great pick. The pick that was weird was Isaiah Davis who isn't nearly as good as Allen.

10. abyzmul

We needed to fix the Rhamondre Stevenson mistake. We passed on him to take Michael Carter. Just Joe Douglas patching holes that he created again.

Wahoo and BacktoQueens like this.
  11. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Hey, just be grateful we didn’t draft a fullback in the first round.

Wahoo and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

No chance you mean this right?

13. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

I'm really happy about this one. Kid is young, Kid is big. Kid appears to be athletic. Kid might not not be done getting better at everything. We have not had a player like this in a long time. I'd say this pick was the most "un-Jet-like" so I love it.

NCJetsfan and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  14. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

This isn't 2004, hell this isn't even 2014. Very large running backs (Braelon Allen) don't fare very well in today's speed dominated league. Unless your name is Derrick Henry and he is the rarest of exceptions as a future first ballot Hall of Famer.

Allen is not considered a speed back at the NFL level at all. He projects as a road grader type getting the tough yards up the gut and bowling guys over. The Jets scheme has to match his strengths and I really have no idea what the Jets scheme is with some of the odd choices that Douglas made and continues to make as they don't seem to be in alignment.

There's no clear direction with his drafts.

I would've much rather drafted another quality OL, Safety or DL over a RB with that pick. RB's are so marginalized in today's league unless you're one of the top 10-20 backs and this guy projects to be nowhere close to that.

Another strange pick by Douglas.

Wahoo likes this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Henry had a lot of these supposed question marks coming out too. Obviously he was a better prospect and drafted higher, but he still rushed for 2K yards, won the Heisman, All-American, best player on a national championship team and only got drafted at 45.

Point being is that Henry wasn’t a shoe-in to be a good player by any stretch.

Ptflea2 likes this.
  16. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I second that. It has to be disconcerting for a defense having had to content with Breece Hall, to now have to contend with a 245 lb running back replacement. I like this pick.

17. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Davis is for special teams.

18. JetsNation06

I hear ya but Henry was a generational player in college as you alluded to. There are levels to this thing and I just think Allen is largely a byproduct of one of the most RB friendly systems in college football at Wisconsin. I just didn't like the pick and thought there were too many other holes on the team that needed to filled as mentioned before this guy or any 240+ pound RB.

Clearly as you can tell, I'm done with Joe Douglas. There's no rhyme or reason or blueprint to his drafts. He's all over the place. I can't wait for the Jets to find a good GM. It will change everything.

19. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I have no idea how you think there’s no rhyme or reason or blueprint for this offseason. We signed John Simpson and traded for Morgan Moses which signifies a scheme change considering their strength and weaknesses. We drafted Olu who also fits a gap scheme better. We drafted the biggest power back in the draft and then took another one. What’s left to figure out?

I’m not saying it’s gonna work like a charm, I’m saying it’s really not that hard to figure out what the gameplan is.

NOVAJET and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. JetsNation06

So you're saying the Jets are going ground and pound a la 2010? Well if that's the blueprint then it's a real shitty one. The league has gone in a different direction since then.

They are going to win by scoring points and throwing the ball, not 3 yards and a cloud of dust. The rest of the league has laid out the blueprint for the offensive schemes that win in the NFL, the Jets have yet to pick up on that.