2024 NFL Free Agency News and Rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Mar 8, 2024.

1. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

All roads lead back to Rodgers. IF that guy can keep his damn head on straight, the off field bullshit to a minimum AND stay healthy....this team "could" contend for a SB. They certainly have the defense for it. I just don't know how "long" he can keep any one of the 3 on the straight and narrow. He goes down and it's all over, yet again, for the season. We shall see...

2. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Jordan Schultz tweeted (or X'd?)

Following Jadeveon Clowney’s visit with the #Jets, he and the organization have remained in constant contact, with one source describing New York as “highly motivated” to try and secure a deal with Clowney.

Sounds promising..

SOJAZ, NCJetsfan and IDFjet like this.
  3. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

1 regular season game. We are literally 1 game and what probably amounts to a literal coin flip away from the start of everybody writing off a 41yo Rodgers as being too old to succeed in this league. Like every other all time great not named Brady before him at such an advanced age.

There is a much much better probability chance of that happening here atm then the Jets squeezing into a very competitive AFC playoff field. Much less going to any Super Bowls. I mean lets call spades spades here. There are 2 teams above us in our own division that are clearly better then we are. The entire NFC North with Burrow back and healthy is a good to absolute given to be better then us. The AFC South get to bathe full time in their cupcake division and likely creates 1 inflated win team behind their divisional winner. And KC is KC.

The Jets could see a healthy Rodgers, and a reasonably projected best case scenario play out that somehow manages to rise above it's terrible offensive coaching foundation, and still likely find themselves picking in lottery rounds of next year's draft.

It's path of rough uphill sledding outside the bubble.

mezzavo likes this.
  4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

They had an advantage yes, no state tax, and Tampa where he lives now is closer to Miami than NY, etc... I understand the Jets tax, which we didn't have to pay btw with Huff, because we could have tagged him and had his rights and avoid all this. But do you notice the pattern here? The Jets are pretty aggressively pursuing good Edge players. Almost got Shaq, brought in Clowney. Still in contact with Clowney, highly motivated to get it done.

Clearly it's important to the team to get a guy like that after a fuck up of pissing away Huff. You may not care less, but clearly the Jets do, and I can see their point here. Pass rush already took a major hit, and we are one injury away from having practically no pass rush at all. And I don't see too many better options. Cheaper, yes. Better - no.

BacktoQueens and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  5. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Clowney would be an exciting addition.

Though it is relatively concerning regarding how they see Will McDonald. IMO if they trusted him more I would think they wouldn't be looking to invest as much money or in a guy who would play as much as Clowney would

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Clowney can be an impact player but he is the definition of an NFL merc, looking for his 6th team in 8 years.

My concern with him is when he is motivated he makes a difference, but when he's unhappy with a team, or their record, he takes a lot of plats off, and sorta dogs it. That is not a good mixture on the Jets. His numbers last year indicate he could be worth up to 10 million a year. Given all this I agree with @Borat. We already had a player and its concerning that we would pivot from a home grown long term solution like Huff, to a short term old merc like Clowney. I guess we'll have to see what contract he gets.

7. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

The fact that you think there aren’t or won’t be a better option than Shaquil Barrett is laughable dude. Seriously, you’re way overreacting

8. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I meant Florida. I was referring to the fact that he has played In Florida for however many years. It just makes sense that he would stay In Florida If the money made sense, with a team that Is on the up and up.

Thanks for being super anal about It though. Really saved the day with this post! Good work, mate. Unreal.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  9. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

No, I think they clearly view It as a need. I just don't see the sense of getting worked up over a dude that didn't want to truly be here anyway. Fuck em, let him go where the grass Is greener. I'm hoping we stomp the shit out of them this year.

10. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Am I missing something here? We’re all butthurt because of Shaq Barrett? If we sign Clowney we’ll have gotten the better player (or at least better fit). But even so we can’t be ok with that because it means they are worried about McDonald. Vintage SOJF stuff here.

SOJAZ likes this.
  11. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

They should have just kept Huff…homegrown undrafted talent

I hate letting good players leave…it’s not the way you build a winner

McDonald better come through to justify the pick at 15 last year

12. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

Keyshawn
    Moss
    Vilma
    Abe's
    D, Davis
    Snacks
    L, Williams

Why stop now?

NCJetsfan, cval, Jets79 and 1 other person like this.
  13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Is Clowney a real possibility? I like him a lot, i think he creates turnovers which is an overlooked skill for his position

but, he’s got a reputation now as a mercenary type who wants to play 1 year deals with contenders. Idk if that blocks us

Borat likes this.
  14. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

I'm basing this on nothing but a gut feeling, but I think he goes to the Ravens.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  15. BroadwayAaron

https://x.com/nfl_dovkleiman/status/1772250153929392129?s=46&t=eaLIxbRmBqelegocbpHIVQ

Assuming we’d have to overpay him to get him here and at that rate we should have just given Huff the fair deal he got from Philly. Massive botch.

BacktoQueens, Ralebird and Borat like this.
  16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Indeed - it still baffles me. I simply don't get it. 4 mil of CAP room was needed. The rest can be pushed down the road - basically like a no interest credit card and inflation now is pretty high, so it is advantageous to do. Paying something a few years from now with CAP much higher then. Instead we created a hole, and filling that hole with someone worse than Huff, but still solid is not going to be cheap either...

BacktoQueens and Jets79 like this.
  17. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Eh. I don't think we would be overpaying. I could see 1 for 8 with incentives. He's been a mercenary his entire career. He's better off taking 1 for 8 with incentives from us on a D that will be top 10 vs a 1/12 from Carolina on a D that will be shit. He gets to play in a good scheme and next to Q, JJ and JFM. If he plays well on a good D he can set himself up for another contract in the same range. If he signs with Carolina and their D sucks ass he prob only gets a 1 for half that next year.

18. BroadwayAaron

It’s not Carolina I’m worried about. It’s Baltimore. The team he was just with that is an actual contender.

19. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

That's fair. I was just using Carolina as an example of a team overpaying like lunatics since we saw it with Robert Hunt. I did see earlier Harbaugh said he feels good about Clowney and Van Noy returning but they don't have much money or wiggle room with restructures this year and need to sign their draft class. We could probably offer him more it it came down to it.

Hopefully JD and the FO can close this deal like they did the Tyron Smith and Mike Will deals.

20. BroadwayAaron

Oh yea Carolina did everything the absolute wrong way this offseason. A team desperate to say “see we didn’t screw up trading the first overall pick!”

I guess it’s somewhat promising that the visits all happened last week and there’s still no word. If he wasn’t interested he would have been back in Baltimore or taken the Carolina money immediately.