Jets grant Zach Wilson permission to seek trade.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GREG, Feb 28, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I think he’s gonna be a last minute cut, giving him very few options on the market by that point, so yeah I could easily see him signing as a 3rd string/practice squad deal because he’ll be so late learning the playbook. Honestly I think we’re gonna wait last minute to see if an injury possibly creates a trade opportunity, and frankly I don’t think the FO likes him and just does him dirty.

2. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Except he's now seen as selfish and a cancer so I think that ship has sailed.

The pre-draft "talk" was correct and why he wasn't a Captain was also: the guy is hard to like.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  3. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's where I am as well. I was surprised for how little Fields went. 2025 6th round pick. Frankly, I would not mind doing this deal myself. I know Zach hasn't done much here, but Fields wasn't bad at all for Chicago. And he was picked #11, so only 3.2 hit on the CAP. I like Tyrod, and he costs no draft capital, but he is injury prone, and Fields for 2025 6th is a good value. Costs less too. Frankly I think he is better than Howell and Pickett, who were traded for more. Perhaps it is the fact there is only one year left on the contract instead of 2-3, which appears to be lowering the value more drastically than I expected.

With all that, that brings us back to Zach. It appears unlikely he will be traded before that draft. After that draft, once teams get settled with the rookie QBs they selected there will be another window of opportunity. These who missed out might look at younger guys available via trade on the cheap. After that, like you said, it's the training camp and preseason. But I still would not waive him and just eat the cost. Even if no one trades for him, as a 3d string QB, I would just leave him.

4. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Well there is something to be said for that, but you can also make a case that cutting him and moving on has an intangible value in terms of team focus, morale, etc.

You’d have to weigh that versus any potential pick you could get back, and if it’s during training camp or preseason, then you’re talking about a pick in the 2025 draft instead of this one. Value of a late pick like a 6 or 7 next year is pretty low, and may not matter much, or may not matter as much as just cutting him and moving on clean.

We’re paying him regardless and until training camp starts all that intangible stuff is kind of meaningless, so yeah, there is no need to cut him now.

But man, that QB draft class sucked out fucking loud. TL has been good and elevated his team to the playoffs…he hasn’t been “Peyton Manning” good and solidified the “once in a generation” type accolades, but he’s been good. But every other QB in that draft has been mediocre at best and most of them have sucked…Zach, Mac, the SF kid (can’t remember his name now), etc. They’ve all been terrible.

LAJet likes this.
  5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I am not sure how keeping Zach as a 3d stringer hurts morale. It's a 3d stringer. His agent got a head start on a trade and could not find a partner. I think the situation from before has changed, and with that expectations change. As it settles in with everyone that Zach is a 3d stringer in NFL now, if no one wants to trade for him, there should not be any morale issues. He will be in the appropriate spot, accepted by all parties involved.

As far as getting a pick this year, if Fields, whose salary is less, fetched only the 6th in 2025, Zach's trade if it ever happens, is not happening before the draft. Things can change after the draft though and if Zach ends up playing well in preseason. Cutting him and eating all the cost to me just does not make any sense. Btw, the other kid is Lance, who is probably even worse.

6. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Because he doesn’t want to be here. That matters significantly. #3 QB runs scout team. Who would you rather running the mock offense we’re going to face that week? A bitter kid who’s half ass going through the motions because he doesn’t want to be here (and probably feels running scout team is beneath him), or a young wide eyed kid who views that chance as a once in a lifetime opportunity? You need players that are all-in on their role and the philosophy of the team. You can’t carry around a malcontent who is nearly worthless to the team just because of his contract. It’s not good for him or the team.

BrowningNagle, SOJAZ and Since1969 like this.
  7. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

There doesn't seem to me much interested in him and I agree with NJJET...he needs to go and we as a team need to move on He would be a distraction that we do not need.

8. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yeah something there about closure for sure…just admit the mistake and move on…he’s not the first busted QB prospect and won’t be the last

Going into this draft…every mock I see has Williams, Daniels and Maye going 1-2-3 in whatever order

the only thing we know for sure is that not all 3 will pan out…in fact I think the odds would be higher that all 3 bust as opposed to all 3 succeeding.

Most likely, 1 will be good and 2 will suck…which one succeeds is the question

In 2021 Trevor was good and then the next two sucked. Last year, the top pick Young was not good and the 2nd guy picked did great. We’ll see what this year brings

9. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I just don't think he is that malcontent you speak of. His teammates seem to speak highly of him: https://nypost.com/2024/03/02/sports/jets-sauce-gardner-shows-support-for-baller-zach-wilson/
    The only information that is negative about him is a speculative report than claimed he would have declined to play if asked. However, when in fact he was asked he did play. Wilson wanted to look for a trade where he can play. That is completely understandable too. However, if he cannot find a trade ANYWHERE, to any NFL team, I don't think he will be half assing it and just be a professional.

With all that said, if we do draft that young kid you speak of, I do see your point as well. Let's see what happens during the draft.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

No, he doesn't stay on the roster. It sets a bad example. Cut him loose and move on

Look at what the Patriots did with Mac Jones. He busted less than WIlson but still a bust. The Patriots kept him in the dark and moved him appropriately first chance they could.

the Jets ...One week they tell Wilson he's done, next week beg him to start, they tell him they will move on, the owner even says he sucks, and ....then they keep him??? WTF. You cannot roll into the season with a lightning rod of a 3rd quarterback like that.

Know when to fold them Joe Douglas

#210 BrowningNagle, Mar 18, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2024
  11. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I think the whole point is that we are trying to do with Zach exactly what the Patriots did with Mac Jones. But do you think NE waives Mac if they can't trade him? We kept Moore and Mims the year they asked for the trade. And Zach is acting more professional than these guys. If we draft another QB based on talent, I can definitely see it. But short of that, waiving him, picking up some other scrub who is even worse and end up paying more total, makes no sense to me. Besides, if we keep him for longer, I think the trade will materialize after the draft or during training camp when some injuries start happening or if Zach has a good camp/preseason.

ouchy and ColoradoContrails like this.
  12. BrowningNagle

yes you cut him

Wilson is the main cog in the dysfunctional relationship that exists between Saleh and Joe Douglas. Saleh doesn't want the kid, he sucks, it lead to him having to fire his best friend. Saleh made that sacrifice, but Joe Douglas refuses to move on. Accept that your most high profile draft pick is a bust and move on already.

Waiting to see if Wilson is going to have a good camp? he's 3 possibly 4th on the depth chart. He's going to get like 3 reps a day. Teams aren't going to be impressed by beat writers tweets that Wilson completed a pass to TJ Luther or Jerome Kapp in the dog days of august and suddenly want to make a move for him

SackRecord99 likes this.
  13. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Putting the guy as a 3d stringer is accepting he is a bust. Cutting him and signing another scrub, so you end up paying MORE total by getting even worse player like Siemian, to me is not smart. If you draft another QB based on talent, sure.

As far as training camp, remember how no one wanted Teddy B and we signed him, then traded for a 3d? Preseason is where 3d string scrubs play. A young guy with tools has a good preseason, maybe we can trade him. There is no rush to pay him not to play for us. We don't have to cut the roster until August. You make him sound like some sort of cancer. He has not been. The report that he "would have" refused to play "if asked" is speculative horseshit. He was in asked and he did play. Facts matter more than speculation. Which is why you see Sauce defending him, while shitting on Hardman. This should put the end to this.

Of course he wants an opportunity, but if no one wants to trade for him, and he knows it, then I don't see this being a distraction. He can't just ask to pay him 5.5 mil and cut him. We can cut him at any time, and simply see no reason to do it now as the ones you listed above (he is a bad person) doesn't make sense to me.

14. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

If Justin Fields is worth only a 6th round pick, what the hell is Zach Wilson really worth?

15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

From the language of the announcement, it sounds like the Jets are leaving this up to Zach's agent who doesn't want the black eye of an outright release. I haven't seen anything stating the Jets are negotiating for a trade so there is probably a deadline before he is released.

SackRecord99 and BrowningNagle like this.
  16. BrowningNagle

I hope you are right. Set a deadline and if no one wants him by then, just cut him and move on.

if this is the case though his agent is doing him a disservice. A black eye from being cut is temporary, but at least he could've hit free agency when every other available player hit it. Now teams are already stacking up backup QBs, Zach Wilson is going to be cut and looking at competing for QB 3 somewhere

17. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

I would re-sign him after cutting him just so that I could cut him again.

18. BrowningNagle

very satisfying

HackettSuxTNG likes this.
  19. BamaDoc

BamaDoc Active Member

He is a sunk cost. If a team plans to add a qb but doesn’t maybe you can swing a deal. Due to the cost, you very well may give better picks than you get. Something like giving a 6 or 7 in 2024 draft and get a 7th in 25 or 26 wouldn’t surprise me. Very stupid to tell media he is gone. Ok on seeking trade but now owners comments make it very awkward/impossible to keep. Expect some training camp story about looking great/offseason improvement as prelude to last effort to do something before release

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. AtlantaJet

AtlantaJet Well-Known Member

You nailed it. There is no rush to cut him. Hell after some training camp/ pre-season injuries his trade value may go up (become existent).

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.