Welcome to the Jets Tyron Smith

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Frenbar, Mar 15, 2024.

1. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

It’s not just insurance, the guy WILL play. There WILL be injuries this year. He may even start over Moses who is just decent, but even if not, can provide a valuable swing role this year with injuries and still start and be the future next year and beyond. It’s more important for the jets to protect their 40 year old qb coming off an injury for these 1-2 years than it is for most other teams. Protect this man otherwise it’s another wasted year

2. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Then maybe we trade down a bit. But we need a young stud OT on the team and we don't have a 2nd round pick. And you know someone will get hurt, whether it will be Moses or Smith, you know the probability of not one but two 33 year old tackles not missing games. We will need a really good OT off the bench and someone for the future as well.

3. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

He might play, but you still don't burn #10 overall on a part time player/backup. A WR/TE starts immediately. And it's not like the WR/TE becomes obsolete after this year. You still have him for future years just like with a hypothetical OL.

The Jets have a bottom 5 WR room in the league right now. They do not have a bottom 5 OL in the league right now.

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Just fair warning with Tyron Smith. I have seen the Dallas Cowboys get away with A LOT of false starts, with Smith having many of them. Maybe he can clean that up but the Jets don't get the calls the Cowboys do.

5. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

Do you think we’re better off doing something like (roughly) swapping our pick with the raiders and throwing next years 2 or 3 in for Adams? I’m more partial to going this route as by the time Wilson needs to be extended, Adams contract will be expiring. If we drafted a top WR this year, we’d be running into cap issues resigning GW and the rookie.

6. Stevied

Let me ask, the ravens and the cowboys really don’t make too many lousy talent issues-should we be bothered that we got Moses for next or nothing, and smith and Simpson were allowed to walk without an attempt to keep them?

abyzmul likes this.
  7. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I'd lean staying at 10 and taking a WR. Highly drafted WRs hit the ground running at high rates in recent years. It's not a position that requires a ton of pro experience to be good at anymore. And Adams is dangerously close to the age WRs usually fall off a cliff.

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  8. abyzmul

Kind of feels like the Terry Bradway School of Diamond Hunting around here sometimes.

ouchy likes this.
  9. Stevied

Oh I agree, I’m just worried that if we drafted a WR and we hit on the WR, we’d only have them for a few years before having to trade GW or someone because we can’t afford to pay both

10. Stevied

Just playing devils advocate.

But for us schmuck fans that were 12 when he was here, what’s the Terry Brawday Sdhool of Diamond hunting?

11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

signing a bunch of rejects and praying they are still good (they weren’t)

Stevied likes this.
  12. Stevied

While I’m at it, why did he make the Doug jolley trade? And draft nugent?

13. abyzmul

A combination of low-cost low-ceiling acquisitions combined with overpriced aging acquisitions. Trying to find a diamond in the rough. It's all Terry Bradway was capable of doing. Plus he would try to find starters in the 6th round.

14. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

15. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

According to PFT it’s only $6.5 mil guaranteed and the rest are incentives. Thats a great deal.

16. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Holy shit, get some JD!

Pepsiguy5 and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

We lost a playoff game and he blamed it on the kicker and not the ball-less coach who f’ed up yet another crucial situation late in the game. So he was desperate for a new kicker. Doug Jolley was just to save face in the trade down

18. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

Outstanding deal. I read that even the Jets were surprised that he took the offer.

Lon Chaney, NCJetsfan and KY Jets Fan like this.
  19. Stevied

I hope he takes it, don’t want no Antoine winfields or Anthony Barr’s!

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  20. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

All valid points, but the jets will sign receivers. It won’t look like it does now. The draft is deep at both these positions, so as long as they get them both in 1 and 3 they’re probably fine either way they do it. I do think they’ll sign some receivers before the draft though.

blackssmagic and Lon Chaney like this.