2024 NFL Season - Superbowl LVIII

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Brook!, Feb 6, 2024.

?

Who are you rooting for?

1. 49ers

68.0%
  2. Chiefs

32.0%
  1. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

I have to hand it to the football gods for getting one last kick in the groin to all Jets fans with that one. Didn't see that one coming at all.

JetBlue, stinkyB, Dierking and 5 others like this.
  2. ProfJets

ProfJets Well-Known Member

Well, prophecies are tricksy like that. The Oracle of Delphi says "Cross the river and a great empire will fall." Turns out, its your empire that falls because you lost the battle after crossing the river. Some witch tells you "No man of woman born will kill you," and you think you're invincible- until some guy born via c-section kills you. Now, "a Jets receiver will win the Super Bowl with a game-winning catch" and it turns out it is some guy you cut who went to the Chiefs.

sozopol and Jetrik like this.
  3. SOXXX2

SOXXX2 Well-Known Member

Great game. Mahomes and Purdy were both great today.

Felt like the 49ers errors hurt them. The McCaffrey Fumble hurt early. The killer play when the game was 10-6 was the special teams punt turnover. Up until that point the Niners defense was winning the game. It gave the Chiefs short field and allowed the Chiefs to take the lead. The extra point miss hurt but I also don't think it mattered as much because if the Niners had gone up 4 instead of 3 then I think Mahomes scores a TD anyway. This was Mahomes defining moment imo. They just could not be denied.

Felt bad for Purdy, I think he played a good game but the errors around him piled up and the defense at the end could just not get the stop. That 4th and 1 was the game. One play away from a title but couldn't seal it. Mahomes is just every bit as good as Brady in these spots. He's on the same level and it's become more evident. Idk how many titles he wins but I do expect more in his career. Andy Reid is one of the best coaches in NFL history now. Guy won so many playoff games with different QBs and now is winning the titles.

JetBlue likes this.
  4. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Sick of the Chiefs but Mahomes either already is or eventually will be the GOAT QB

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

If we are following the Super Bowl colors/logo conspiracy/predictor, it looks like Jets and Vikings next year in the Super Bowl

6. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

So this is what earns you a spot next to Taylor swift at the superbowl? Go nfl. All class

7. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

The botched punt by San Francisco reminded me of the NFC Championship against the Giants when Ginn couldn't play and his backup fumbled two punt returns. Jim Harbaugh first year there I believe.

8. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Edit: My mistake. I misread your post.

9. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

Well that was a fun game. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Not sure why people are criticizing Shanahan for taking the ball 1st in OT. You're against one of the most potent offenses and skilled QBs in the NFL and the defense was gassed and needed a rest. I think it was the right call, but people judge everything on hindsight and hopes of a different result with no actual reason to think such.

They wanted a TD on that drive and they almost pulled it off. If they did that, there would have been a tie and it would have gone on to double OT or Niners get it back for a quick chance at a FG.

Bottom line: They didn't lose because of that decision. They lost because the offense couldn't put it in the red zone when it mattered most and their defense couldn't stop Mahomes when it mattered most.

#129 Jets OG fan, Feb 12, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2024
  10. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Thought this was interesting (from Schefter): In the 2017 NFL Draft in which they held the second overall pick, the 49ers did not study Patrick Mahomes because they believed they would be able to sign Kirk Cousins during 2018 free agency and reunite him with Kyle Shanahan. Those plans were scuttled when the Patriots and offered and traded Jimmy Garoppolo to the 49ers in October 2017. But the one QB the 49ers did trade up to get in the 2017 draft was C.J. Beathard, whom they selected in the third round, 104th overall. Beathard eventually left San Francisco to sign with Jacksonville and, in return, the 49ers got a compensatory 2022 7th-round pick that they used on … Brock Purdy.

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The 49ers also lost because they abandoned the run for virtually no reason in the 3rd quarter. 9 straight plays on 3 three-and-outs in a row and only 1 designed run. They had the lead and they turned over Mahomes to start the half.

That was the opportunity to shorten the game and give it to the OPOY.

Next year is the last big chance for the 49ers and they’ll presumably be weaker.

After next year, Deebo is perpetually hurt because of how he plays and getting older, Trent Williams is pretty up there in age and very expensive. They’ll have to make a payment decision on Purdy.

#131 Jonathan_Vilma, Feb 12, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2024
  12. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

Didn't watch a snap...listened to most of first half on the drive home from work... 10 zero wasn't enough.i knew that...... Kyle choke a han, eh?

13. BrowningNagle

It is hard for me to blame Shanahan. McCaffrey fumbled in scoring position and the kicker missed an extra point. We are talking possibly 7 whole points there that the players themselves squandered away.

Not to mention the botched punt return, which essentialy gave KC 7 points.

49ers should've walked away with nice double digit victory with his gameplan and playcalling, flawed or not, you have to execute

14. typeOnegative13NY

Yup, didn’t get that at all. They set the tone in the first qtr with mccaffrey. And then ditched it.

15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Eh. Pacheco fumbled on the 49ers 9 yard line and the Mahomes pick set the 49ers up at the Kansas City 44 so they had their own gaffes too.

The fumbled punt was brutal though.

When it comes down to it, Shanahan had second half leads in all three Super Bowl’s he’s coached in and his teams have lost all three games.

JetBlue likes this.
  16. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Reminds me of Shanahan's play calling in the Super Bowl when he was OC for Atlanta.

JetBlue and Since1969 like this.
  17. BrowningNagle

I think that's the biggest thing right there. Shanahan doesn't get the benefit of the doubt anymore, and rightfully so, cause of his previous choke jobs.

Last night was the least egregious of all and I think if he was some new coach and it was his first superbowl we might not even blame him at all for how the game unfolded

18. typeOnegative13NY

Hey.. this is working, ….. so let’s try something else.

Sounds like the jets too

Ptflea2 likes this.
  19. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Absolutely. And there was no more egregious example of this than on their game tying drive in the 4th and facing 2nd and 5 he calls two straight pass plays. McCaffrey is your best player; put the ball in his hands with the game on the line. Instead they have two incompletions and have to kick a FG. Why Shanahan has a propensity to abandon the run is dumbfounding.

20. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I thought I was watching Jets play calling for a minute there.