With the 10th pick..

Discussion in 'Draft' started by KY Jets Fan, Jan 7, 2024.

?

Who do you pick if all these are still available at Pick#10

1. Rome Odunze (WR)

30.2%
  2. Brock Bowers (TE)

17.5%
  3. Fashanu or another OL

41.3%
  4. I rather trade down if these are my choices

11.1%
  1. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

The host is Will Parkinson. They were just supporting Hogan. (DJ Reed and I think Breece?).

[​IMG]

Will has ran a pod called Turn On the Jets (TOJ) for years and has legit sources within 1JD. You may not like his voice, but he is absolutely plugged into the team with sources and I would take what he says with credibility.

2. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

You comment on someone or something having sense and then state that they need to take a BACKUP QB at 20?

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Great points! I was gobsmacked when I heard that JD seems to prefer OL with upper body strength over those with quick feet. It makes sense now why the OL has been so bad. I now have to hope that JD can and will trade down and that he's not in love with Fuaga. It would seem ideal if he could sign two veterans to man the starting OT spots and then use the #10 pick on one of Nabers or Odunze. If they aren't able to sign two OTs in FA, but get an LT, the second best option would be to stay put and take JC Latham. The third best option if they are able to sign one or two starters at OT seems to be to trade down into the mid-to-late teens or early 20s, add a 2nd round pick and hopefully get one of Tyler Guyton or maybe Amarius Mims, and depending upon where they're ranked maybe Suamataia and Kiran Armagadjie, and hope he develops faster than what is being projected. Those are the tackles that in my early reading seem to have the athleticism, movement skills and light feet that the Jets need at OT. The Jets definitely need OTs that can play this year, but I'd hate for them to pass on taking an OT like Guyton, just because he needs more work and probably needs to sit for a year.

I hope that you're wrong about JD taking Fuaga, but sadly you're probably right unless Connor Rogers is wrong or JD has learned his lesson.

ouchy and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Thumbs down on Bowers. It's a position the Jets do not feature except for blocking. We have had some awful TE picks.

Borat and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. dawinner127

That segment is making Fuaga out to be a bad player. That isn’t the case at all. Fuaga is still a very very good player but just not a blue chip prospect like Alt or Foshanu. Let’s not get it twisted and act like the kid sucks. He can be a very solid RT in this league.

boozer32 likes this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Maybe, but what do you think will happen if he's drafted by the Jets? Based on historical evidence I can only see him failing through no fault of his own.

boozer32 likes this.
  7. dawinner127

Yeah I'm not down with the woe is me everything the Jets do sucks ass so I'm not playing that game with you. If you want to live like that be me guest, but the tape says Fuaga is going to be a very good player. He is the best pure run blocker in the draft and is an instant starter at RT. This dude is not Becton.

8. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I’m no expert on OL but I can see that we need two starting caliber tackles, so to me, you take the best one available at 10 and go from there…I’m not gonna nitpick. If the team believes that when we are on the clock, there are lets say 3 tackles on the board all about the same, I can also see a trade back, but I’d be wary of dropping too far because we absolutely HAVE to come out of round 1 with a tackle who can start right away. So I’m leaning to sticking at 10 and taking the best one there, even if he’s a right tackle for now.

NY Jets68 and ouchy like this.
  9. NCJetsfan

No, it wasn't. That's just your interpretation. They said that he was good, perhaps very good during Sr. Bowl practices. They just said that he didn't dominate like they would have expected. They also said that while better than Becton as a prospect, he needed to get his feet working with his upper body.

He'll be a great run blocker in the NFL, and probably decent or pretty good pass blocker in that he'll be able to handle power rushers, but unless he can develop quicker feet, he'll probably struggle against speed rushers. Solve the LT position, take Fuaga for RT, and put a good blocking TE beside him when the Jets are playing a team with speedy edge rushers, and he could be just fine.

SOJAZ likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

I agree that we need two starting-caliber OTs. I'm hoping that JD will get the LT in FA, as unless Alt or Fashanu drop, there's almost no chance we'll get a starting LT out of the draft. Jordan Morgan could possibly be a starting LT in 2024, but he isn't worthy of the #10 pick. Based on what I've read so far, it sounds like Tyler Guyton and Amarius Mims might be able to eventually start at LT, but almost certainly not this year. Guyton has little experience period at OT, and only at RT. Based on what Rogers and Parkinson said in the podcast, and what I've read, Guyton needs to sit and learn this year and work on refining his technique. Mims has more experience, but not a whole lot more. He could conceivably play this year, but probably couldn't be counted on as a starter. Kingsley Suamataia may be able to play LT eventually, but he needs to put on weight and work on his pass protection technique. At this point, he's a much better run blocker than pass blocker. I don't recall seeing that JC Latham could possibly play LT, but outside of Alt, Fashanu, and Fuaga, is probably the only other OT who could come in and start this year.

So it's possible that the Jets could get their starting RT from either Fuaga or Latham, or maybe Mims, but it's not looking like it's possible that they could get their starting LT from the draft. It's looking like the only way that could happen is if one of Alt and Fashanu fell to #10.

The scary thing about getting their LT in FA is that the only two real prospects are Tyron Smith of Dallas and Jonah Williams of the Bengals. Tyron Smith is older, but still playing at a very high level. The problem with his is that he can't stay healthy and on the field. The problem with Jonah Williams is that for most of his career, he has not been very good. He was very good this past season at RT, and I think started a few games at LT and played well. Thankfully, neither should be that expensive. So if the Jets sign Smith, they have to pray he can stay healthy the entire season, or if they sign Williams, they have to pray he can repeat his play of this past season. Thankfully, there are more options at RT in FA. If I was JD, I'd sign one of Smith/Williams to start at LT and I'd sign a starting-caliber FA RT as well. Then as much as we need another top WR prospect to put opposite of G. Wilson, I think I'd still try to trade down a little and take one of Latham, Guyton, and Mims, and look to take a WR in the 3rd round. If, however, I thought Suamataia or Armagadjie could develop into a starting-caliber OT by next season, then I'd still trade down a little in the 1st, take a WR then hope to get one of Suamataia or Armagadjie in the 2nd round.

11. dawinner127

Daniel Jeremiah has Fuaga over Olu by the way. DJ is one of the better draft analysts out there. The fact that earlier you said the second best option would be to take JC Latham shows how little you know about these prospects. CR doesn’t even have Latham in the first round! Taking Latham over Fuaga would be Becto over Wirfs type move

12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well I don't live in Missouri, but they're going to have to show me before I believe they know what they're doing.

SOJAZ, NCJetsfan and dawinner127 like this.
  13. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Please pass the stuff you are smoking. 9 or 10 wins...get the hell out of here with that nonsense! Tell you what, how about 9 or 10 PLAYS. That's about how long Rodgers will survive in 2024, doubling his snap total from 2023. 9 or 10 wins...fucking eh...I REALLY need the bud in your pipe.

14. dawinner127

They won 7 games with the worst quarterback play in the league. You don't think below average to average gets them 2 or 3 more wins? Pats, Atlanta, Raiders or LAC. Wake up.

15. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

With the current CS in place? They'll be lucky to repeat 7 wins even with Kal EL. We're not beating the Chargers and probably not the Falcons or the Raiders. This team is more than Aaron Rodgers away from being mediocre. OLine rebuild, shit coaching alone will keep the win total close to '23 levels. If we're lucky, they will come in under 7 wins and Woody blows it up.

16. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

In the Jets case it's not that linear. That's not how it works. The Jets are a shitshow from front office to coaching to personnel. They are in a real tough spot going into next season as teams all over the league are making moves to upgrade their coaching and personnel and it's going to be that much harder to make the playoffs. The Jets need to make a lot of really good moves this offseason just to field a competitive squad next year.

17. dawinner127

The woe is me shit on this board makes this place unbearable at times. It's quite sad honestly because this place used to be one of the better places to talk ball and Jets.

I wouldn't even consider myself an optimistic fan. I have no faith in this regime at all. I think the HC blows. I think the owner is a moron. But some of you guys are just so ridiculous and let the 60 years of misery cloud your judgement. If you ran this same exact team back with zero additions or changes, going from Zach effing Wilson to Aaron Rodgers is enough to win at least 2 more games in itself. Even if he isn't MVP Rodgers, his mind, control, and understanding of the game alone beats Atlanta, New England, LAC, and LV last year. How can some of you be so clouded and not realize that? It's truly baffling.

I feel sorry for you guys, I really do. If the Jets ever won a superbowl some of you still wouldn't be happy because you guys are so broken and beaten down that you may actually just enjoy being miserable.

Enjoy your Sunday. Go Chiefs.

Ptflea2 and Nyjets4eva like this.
  18. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Yeah well, don't hold your breath on that Superbowl appearance or a winning season anytime soon as long as this FO/CS is in place. No amount of hope can overcome the sheer stupidity exhibited by JD, Saleh the Mascot and lest we forget, Rodgers' hand picked OC and legendary coach Nate Hackett. TGG will still be here and until this team shows itself to be competent, don't look for any pompom waving. Just not gonna happen here.

There's gotta be a messageboard out there someplace where things are bright and hope springs eternal no matter the record. There's few on FB where you get bounced for even uttering a discouraging word about the Jets and Aaron Rodgers will fix everything. Good Luck in your search..

#458 Cman68, Feb 9, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2024
    SOJAZ and mezzavo like this.
  19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

You do that all by yourself

20. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Jeremiah also had Becton has the best OT in his draft.

SOJAZ and NCJetsfan like this.