Backup QB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mezzavo, Jan 20, 2024.

?

Backup QB options

1. Jimmy Garoppolo

9 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Jameis Winston

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  3. Joe Flacco

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  4. Trevor Siemian

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  5. Ryan Tannehill

12 vote(s)
    19.0%
  6. Jacoby Brissett

23 vote(s)
    36.5%
  7. Tyrod Taylor

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  8. Marcus Mariota

4 vote(s)
    6.3%
  9. QB not listed

8 vote(s)
    12.7%
  1. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Any would be upgrades from last year. Would pass on Flacco and let Seimian go.

Brissett is definitely the gold standard - great backup with upside versus say Tannehill or Jimmy G. He's been a very solid starter when given the chance especially in the past 2 years and could even be a bridge QB post Aaron Rodgers.

I also hope for a rookie QB in the 3rd or 4th to develop

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

been saying Brisset since Sams last year

SOJAZ and mezzavo like this.
  3. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Geez...if only! To be completely honest, I think Brissett has earned a shot at the starting job in a number of landing spots. I certainly wouldn't turn him away!

4. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

The problem with this list boils down to same glaring elephant factor in room most spent all of last year ignoring. That being Rodgers likely having final consideration sign off on who our backup qb is "allowed' to be. If Rodgers wasn't signing off on the threat of a guy like Carson Wentz coming in to potentially stealing some of his deserved thunder last year why believe that is going to change in 2024?.

Once you factor that in you can realistically cut that list down to:

Trevor Siemian
    Tyrod Taylor
    Marcus Mariota

As the other guys are either going to be deemed too high quality (thus more threatening to the strictly game manager type QB Rodgers has already declined into) of a backup option, or in the case of Flacco have experienced too much recent starting success. So with all that being said:

I'd want Mariota if we actually had a competent OC. I was actually hoping to see Hurts get hurt this year and for him to end up seeing a sizable amount of starter reps in the Philly system this year. As I'm curious what that would of ended up looking like there before the wheels completely came off at the end. But after listening to the fluff piece interview earlier today that seemed to hint at a Siemian return.

5. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

There's really no evidence that we're having trouble attracting talent, or that nobody wants to play for Woody Johnson; that's just the assumption disgruntled fans have. Aaron Rogers would have never joined the team if that was the case.

6. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Good ole Thorazine Joe.

7. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

No evidence other than pure common sense based on empirical evidence. Nice of you to cherry pick last year as the only example, probably in Jets history, but let's see who's right in two months.

mezzavo likes this.
  8. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

Rodgers was about to turn 40yo, was locked into a contract that looked regretfully bad in hindsight, and while coming off a decline year that saw him morph into a pure game manger type QB that nobody not in the market for click content was going to rationally confuse with a league MVP. There was also zero indication of any other outside interest, and sure as heck none that were going to bend over the extent Woody did in the name of making him happy.

Worst. Example. Ever

That said, at the end of the day i do believe a majority of guys aren't likely to turn down *more* money then offered elsewhere to sign here. But on equal terms? We are towards the bottom of any destination appeal list for sure.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  9. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

The mid-level guys will take more money to come here. The top guys will use us to get the better contract with the better team. Take the tackle in Kansas City a couple of years ago, Tyreek Hill a couple of years back, Kirk cousins a number of years ago, the linebacker/safety in Minnesota, forgot his name, Antonio something. It's happened a number of times. And we have consistently overpaid for mid level guys while very rarely securing top level guys.

But there's no evidence.

Jets79 likes this.
  10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I bet this looked like a great fixer-upper project for Rodgers all the way out there from California. In the dark.

The_Darksider likes this.
  11. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

I came up with what I think is a great option. It won't be everyone's favorite, but I think it makes sense.

Bears keep the 1st pick and go Caleb Williams. They trade Fields to us for a 3rd round pick, and a conditional 2025 pick.

They start over, we have insurance, and a long term solution.

Thoughts?

Sent from my genius mind.

12. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I'd try and get Alex McGough from the Packers...

13. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Who the hell is that? A guy from the 70s?

Sent from my genius mind.

14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Wow, I see Tanny at #2 right now after Brissett in voting. He just had an awful year and will be 36 years old, which means that it may not be a one off, but an actual decline. I mean Zach with our garbage of OLine had a better season than Tanny last year. Recent injury history too. Tanny could actually be a downgrade from what we already have. No thanks.

Jets79, SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  15. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Which is why it's almost certain to happen.

It's going to be either Jimmy G or Tannehill, which means we'll have to turn our attention to who QB3 will be, because that person will likely have to start some games for us (again).

Jets79 and SOJAZ like this.
  16. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

'23 USFL championship QB...

17. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

It needs to be a QB who can win a few spot starts if he has to. Jimmy G makes sense, but he can’t stay healthy. Brissett or Winston work for me.

Remember: If Rodgers goes down for a significant amount of time, it doesn’t matter anyway. This team will clearly fold. We’ve seen it before. So I do agree and stress the importance of a backup QB, at the same time if Rodgers goes down again it really doesn’t matter.

18. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

It won't matter even if he stays healthy. Rodgers is one of the best to ever do it, but neither he nor Brady or (fill in whatever all-time great QB you want) could drag this bunch of losers to anything more than the #7 seed in the playoffs.

We're going nowhere until the weight of this loser mentality that Saleh and Douglas have instilled in this franchise has finally been lifted.

19. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

My head says, no fucking way - but that same head once said, "No fucking way they hire Gase..."

stinkyB and The Dark Knight like this.
  20. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I’ve seen great QB’s carry teams plenty of times. The Jets Defense is good enough to win as long as Rodgers does his part. I’m not sold on Saleh either, but the Jets can succeed with him at Head Coach. Things can flop pretty fast too though.

SOJAZ and mezzavo like this.