Bill Belichick out per Schefter

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Savatage, Jan 11, 2024.

1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Why would he want to go anywhere but home, kiss his daughter on the lips, lounge on his couch made of airless footballs and put his feet up and the TV off?

blackssmagic, SackRecord99 and Acad23 like this.
  2. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Guys, Belichick is a good defensive coach, and with the best QB in the history of NFL who always took less money so they could bring more talent he achieved great results. He deserves a lot of credit for this. It was also pure luck he got him - in the 6th round, not like he knew something about evaluating QBs (see Mac Jones). Without said QB though, in 11 years he made play-offs twice and won one game. He had another 11 win season where he missed play-offs, but that was with a lot of great players being signed to wanted to play with Brady, but he got hurt.

His recent record is also not that great and he is getting old, while even old and diminished Brady proved that basically any coach could have won with him. I can definitely see why Kraft let Belicheat go. 1 play-off appearance in 4 years, and even there he got blown out, 4-12 last year's record, getting up there in age... For me personally someone like Ben Johnson is a lot more appealing, let's hope Patriots don't end up with him.

SackRecord99 likes this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

What would really suck is if the Bills lose Sunday, Fire McDermott and get Belichick to coach up Josh Allen

doubt it though

abyzmul likes this.
  4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Be careful what you wish for. The biggest accomplishment he has was stumbling onto Tom Brady in the 6th round. What was he going to do - win another 4 games next season? Or make play-offs twice in 11 years, like he did without Brady, winning a single game. I am more worried that they can get a real upgrade here over old cheat.

blackssmagic likes this.
  5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Josh Allen seems a little fragile for Belichick. Emotionally speaking.

Since1969 likes this.
  6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I remember back in the 2000s when teams played the Patriots, it was Belichick they were scared of more so than Brady. For sure, Brady made Belichick look better than he was, but it's also true that Belichick's coaching prime coincided with the years he had Brady. The Belichick of the last few years isn't what he used to be irrespective of his quarterback.

7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Not saying Belichick was a bad coach, he was and is a good defensive coach. But was it a coincidence that Belichick spent 11 years without Brady before and after (and even during two years with Brady on the roster and not playing) and didn't do shit, while with Brady won so much? While even a very old Brady made play-offs every year, won play off games 2 of 3 years until he got completely old, and even won a SB at old age? A good defensive coach with the best QB to play the game is a dangerous combination. Without such QB though we have a significant sample size of 11 years, which he was nothing special.

Even lately defenses were good. But without Brady the offense is sht. And without offense you can't win in today's NFL. An old school defensive coach in today's NFL is not the best coaching option. He is better than Saleh, but who isn't? But would I be more scared of him over someone like McDaniels or Ben Johnson, god forbid he comes to NE? Absolutely not. I would prefer him to stay in NE and have another 4 win season, but unfortunately now they can actually do a lot better.

blackssmagic and SackRecord99 like this.
  8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Belichick made some bizarre moves in regards to offense with the whole Patricia/Joe Judge co-offensive coordinator shit. Bringing in three well paid tightends and then not really building an offense around them.

I don’t think the Belichick versus Brady thing is ever really fair because the Patriots even lose the most recent Rams/Patriots SB if not for Belichick’s brilliant game planning that stumped McVay with the six man defensive fronts to stop the zone.

He was also a good GM (not great) until he recently say around 2018ish maybe? The last five years he’s been dreadful.

Pepsiguy5 and blackssmagic like this.
  9. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

This is not unlike Bowles as a DC wining a SB with Brady where he stopped Mahomes. Like I said a good defensive coach, all the credit for that, it is important. But not someone to be feared whatsoever, particularly now.

10. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Oh, God.

[​IMG]

SackRecord99 likes this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

ESPN has been unwatchable for at least a decade

12. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Good riddance. Glad the last memory he'll have on that field is losing to the Jets.

13. kevda5n9ne

kevda5n9ne Well-Known Member

Hahaha that was the best part, I had to do a double take after he said that. Anyone of the beat writers mention that comment by Bill?

14. SOXXX2

SOXXX2 Well-Known Member

Thats been in the back of my mind for months.

It would be a match made in heaven. I do wonder if Bill agreed to be released as long as he doesn't sign in the division....

15. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

The guy has been to 11 Super Bowls. I’d say that would qualify as “accomplishments”.
    We hadn’t beat him with our without brady, as they’ve won on defense forever.
    Was guaranteed two losses every year, I’d say him leaving is a VERY good for our team. Literally can’t get any worse than it’s been.
    Chowdas are in for some rough karma ahead.

16. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

Fuck Bill, I hope he rots in hell.

17. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

We were terrible basically for 13 years. Beating these sorry teams we had doesn't prove anything. I am not denying Belichick is better than Saleh. But even then we just whooped his ass, he won 4 games. Without Brady from winning the division he went to #3, and now #4, even worse than us. One play off appearance and a blowout loss in the last 4 years. Brady leaving was a good thing for us. Unfortunately we couldn't get our shit together and it's the Bills who took over the division. You can't deny the fact Belichick just wasn't great without Brady - and we have 11 years of data, not a couple. Again, good defensive coach, which is important. But he old and hasn't had the results without Tom. Him leaving is not a good thing for us, because they can actually get someone better.

18. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

From what I've heard, the Chargers cap situation is absolutely abysmal. He may have the quarterback and nothing else.

Washington and Atlanta seem like decent bets, Washington has a very high draft pick, Atlanta isn't far behind.

19. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Ouch, baby... very ouch. :p