Self-Reflection Time

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The_Darksider, Dec 27, 2023.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Kinda harsh dontcha think?

The_Darksider likes this.
  2. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Been watching the Jets since the 70s. But they are not my number one team I followed closely, thanks to the Yankees.

The team had some high moments, ok “few” high moments but they disappointed me too many times where I just learned to realized that heck this team doesn’t have the lucks. I don’t get bitter about them in the last 10-15 years. I just live with the fact that this is just a NY Jet team that we continue to wait for them to turn the corner. Over the last few years I have turned more to watching the Ravens and rooting for them to succeed. Unfortunately, the Ravens build the teams correctly over the years, props to them. Maybe someday the Jets will a force and get to the posts. I continue to watch them as I have done in the past, but no surprised if they disappoint. It is what it is, the team is not a successful franchise.

barfolomew and ouchy like this.
  3. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

I was listening to Jim Miller and Patty Kirwan talking last week or so and they had a whole segment on this. You can directly target the player's union for this problem. CONSIDERABLY less practice time, team time and time where things such as fundamentals are taught and practiced. I get it, injuries are a problem. I guess the real question is whether or not reducing practice/teaching time is ultimately CAUSING more injuries than they are preventing. I can't remember a time where there were this many in season injuries. It "feels" as if it has increased a couple hundred percent. As we know all too well, a record number of starting QB's played this year. Just a specific statistic. We also talk about our o-line all the time and the injuries. If you take a look, league wide, nearly ALL the teams have some type of patchwork o-line in place. (why we are always bitching about coaching...other teams can get serviceable o-line performance, why can't we?) But I digress...went way off the rails.

As they were saying, Kirwan and Miller, nearly all the time spent on fundamentals etc...is gone. All the time is spent on game plan etc... You lose what you don't practice and tackling practice is at the bottom of things covered.

ouchy likes this.
  4. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

the problem with the Jets is that when they turn a corner you just know it is going to be into oncoming traffic, or down a dead end or into a train tunnel etc. nothing ever goes right for this franchise

SOJAZ, LogeSection2RowJ and Cman68 like this.
  5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I wonder which odds are better... Jets winning the SB OR a person hitting the PowerBall.

jets_fan likes this.
  6. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

mezzavo likes this.
  7. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I honestly believe there is a personality flaw in myself and all Jets fans. Everything is a lesson. Perhaps our lesson is the strength to ultimately walk away from a toxic relationship.

Up until this past regime the ineptness I’ve experienced from this team as a fan since late 70’s/early 80’s has been just that, ineptness. It was coaches/GM’s/Players that tried their genuine best, but they weren’t good enough. This regime is not just inept, they’re deceptive and manipulative. They lied to a fanbase and to ownership about how good the team was. They did the one thing that would preserve and prolong their employ here. Not because it would make the team better, but because Rodgers was the one player that no matter how bad things went this year, they were not going to lose their jobs. If they signed Carr and he struggled the way he would’ve here, everyone gets fired. Carr doesn’t have the clout to make demands. But Rodgers….. Rodgers is here under the premise that everything stays the same, and the cost of him guaranteed they stay. I truly believe that was the most important factor in Douglas and Saleh wanting him. That’s how low I think of both Douglas and Saleh. Sure, Rodgers had the best chance to succeed here, but they knew damn well the roster was not in fact championship level. It’s not even close. I truly believe JD and Saleh knew it was not nearly as good a roster as they sold to the public and went right to preservation mode. You’ll all know this for certain if you have any doubts now when you see Douglas giving up picks and big contracts for FA’s to try and last ditch his career for one year with Rodgers. After that our cupboard will be bare and we will have another 5 years trying to recover. Trust me, in 2028 you’ll look back at this post realizing I’m right and just how awful Douglas and Saleh really are, not just as employees but as deplorable human beings.

mezzavo, SOJAZ and HomeoftheJets like this.
  8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

The Jets would never win either, because you have to commit the right resources to win….like buying a ticket. Jets invest only in selling tickets….not buying winning tickets.

mezzavo, ouchy and Cman68 like this.
  9. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

I'm a lifer, but it is changing for me. The change began when MetLife and PSL's caused me to part with my tickets. I've been to well over 300 games, so not being there all the time changed my perspective. I had contacts in the sports photography biz, and was "lucky" enough to have had sideline credentials and be there on the field in Denver and Pittsburgh. I also had SB ticket vouchers awaiting me had they beaten Miami (1982) and Denver (1999). So, I had my chances and came really close. I've lost. I accept that it probably will never happen for me. Even if it does, the way things are in sports, it'll probably be one and done, and they will be 6-11 the next season. It won't be the same for me as it would have been in the 80's, 90's or even the Rex years. We all see the players laughing after losses, mingling with the opposition. And the money! Wait until they add more playoff spots. It's practically a gimmick - like college "Bowl" games. The NFL wants all teams to not be eliminated as long into the season as possible so we all keep spending. Think what a joke it already is - the Giants were still alive until last week. C'mon. That's another bad team. I'm not implying they don't care and they're not giving it their all on the field. but it's just different. There's no reason to beat ourselves up over it. It should not effect our family lives. And yet, I always hope. I didn't see this season coming, but should have. However, if I go about it expecting the worst life becomes more miserable. I won't do it. All I can do is to allow it to matter less, knowing it's only us fans who are paying the price.

WHEN it does happen it will still be great. By not getting as upset and worked up over them in bad times plays a part in me staying alive long enough TO see it.

#49 LogeSection2RowJ, Dec 29, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2023
    papapump, mezzavo, SOJAZ and 2 others like this.
  10. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

A person has a better chance of being struck by lightning while hitting the PowerBall than the Jets do of making it to a Super Bowl.

In fact, I think a person might have a better chance of being attacked by a shark in a 50th story penthouse in a Manhattan highrise than the Jets do of making it to a Super Bowl.

mezzavo, SOJAZ and Cman68 like this.
  11. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

But we clearly don't gameplan. We just run the same stuff on offense and defense every week, so we should be able to use the saved time to practice the fundamentals, shouldn't we?

mezzavo likes this.
  12. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Good offseason? They’re cap strapped, have no 2nd round pick, and are probably going to use that first rounder to bring in the last of the old guard to make Rodgers happy in Adams, who won’t be anywhere near his old self by then. We have the worst OL and coaching in the league. The devastation of JD and Saleh will be felt throughout the end of this decade.

papapump and mezzavo like this.
  13. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Douglas was Gase's friend. Frauds of a feather flock together.

mezzavo and The_Darksider like this.
  14. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

The actual question I meant to convey in this post was whether or not you think you might lose interest once the Jets win, if they ever win, because so much time and energy was invested in the negativity that you have nothing to root for anymore.

But I got my answer. A friend reminded me of the Rangers. 54 years, a lot of false starts and heartbreak along the way, and it was amazing. Never really lost the hunger for another one, and after a year or two, it's like it didn't happen.

I believe that would be my answer and probably would be for most of us.

mezzavo likes this.
  15. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Listen, my alias use to be SOJ for a reason. That I had to change it to SOJAZ. I posted many times, I hope for the best and expect the worst but I have to tell all of you... these two (JD/RS) incompentant stiffs have now made me understand that under their leadership (yes that is an oxymoron) this team is one of the worst and undisciplined teams I have had the misfortunate to watch over the years.

I mean when you make AG seem competent, that in and of itself is an accomplishment.

papapump likes this.
  16. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I honestly think it depends. Right now, if the Aaron Rodgers experiment clicks next year and the Jets go on a tear and win it all... it won't really feel like it's the Jets. I know that sounds strange, but I would want it to be with a quarterback we had either drafted and developed (HA!) or brought in and had been with us long enough to feel like a Jet, like we did with Vinny.

If the Jets actually became sustainably good, I would not lose interest, I would love it. The England rugby team were awful for decades... then they got a great coach, won the World Cup in 2003 and were a force in the game for a sustained period and I loved it.

ouchy and The_Darksider like this.
  17. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

That's funny, I was there a couple of years ago. I think we go through stages of Stockholm syndrome. At one point, I wanted it to be on my terms. Sustainable winner, develop a quarterback, in the mix every year. Now I'm like, I don't give a shit if we have to buy everybody, cheat, pay off the refs, just get me a Super Bowl. Lol

ukjetsfan and barfolomew like this.
  18. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

understanding this type of attachment is difficult.

i havent eacthed, yet i follow along via the internet. its less painful. so , for me, its about pain management. am prety sure that even jetophile has re,moved herself enough that she is not watching the games later on in this abysmal year.

19. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

the ny rangers taught me alot.... the unexpected run in 1979 then getting soundly Canadienned .... the the Islander dynsasty and 1941 chants...

but in 94 they broke through and i;ll tell ya... its anti-climactic... then my Bosox broke through and went ,multiple to my astonishment. each one less important than the one that preceded it,

just random, true, info

20. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

At this point, relative to the end of the 1998 season when Vinny actually got us to within a game of the Super Bowl, Rodgers has actually been here longer (by a little over a month), so he'd be just as much of a "Jet" as Vinny was at the time.

I don't belabor the point, though, that it wouldn't feel like the Jets because I get it and, kind of, agree. At the same time, though, we're never going to develop our own QB, so any future championships (I can't even believe I just typed that phrase in relation to this team) will have to be the result of a clownish GM stumbling his way into a mediocre team and then bringing in a future Hall of Fame QB to put it on his back and drag it kicking and screaming across the finish line.