Let's trim some fat for next year...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HackettSuxTNG, Dec 19, 2023.

1. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Low end starter? He leads the league in sacks allowed and has absolutely no push in the run game anymore. Normally you could live with the sacks if you could get something out of him in the run game, watch the tape. You aren't even getting that anymore. I thought becton would get a 1/10 yr deal a few weeks ago, over the last few weeks he would be lucky to get 1yr for 5-6.

wewantsapp, SOJAZ, Borat and 3 others like this.
  2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I have. he's leading the league in sacks for OGs but I seen a lot of miscommunication. not sure if it's on him or the OC or OTs sometimes. hard to say without knowing the playcall. the whole line is out of sync and it's hurting everyone. he's not being bullrsuhed into the QB every play like mitchell at OG and turner at OG were. the o-line looks confused and lost more then being physically beat. except becton who's had issues with speed rushers most of the year but those are more obvious

3. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

At least he doesn't get hurt and actually plays in the games......

4. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Didn’t we get a new OL coach this year? He sucks just as bad as the last one I guess

I know the talent is poor as we’re putting practice squad guys out there, but there is so much confusion and free runners so often…some of that is coaching and guys not knowing what the fuck to do. It’s bad enough to get bull rushed into the QB…that’s a physical talent lacking thing…but the mental aspect sucks just as bad.

I do agree that the 5 guys do feed off each other though…one bad OL can make the guys around him worse. When you expand that to 2-3 bad OL then you do get this clusterfuck we have with a fucking jailbreak to the QB every third play

Acad23 likes this.
  5. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

He is DeWayne Robertson level of bust.

wewantsapp and blackssmagic like this.
  6. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

Sorry guys, just because he doesn't get hurt doesn't mean he's good. He needs to go, no extension, no nothing. Its time to clean, fuck it this is the year to clean

7. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

This is going to sort itself out -- the Jets play the NFL's worst defense this week. If they are getting by our line, they all need to go. Oh, then we get to play the Browns on a short week, and we are likely to need 6 or 7 QBs on the roster just to make it through that game.

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  8. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

The Commanders' defense is right smack in the Middle of the NFL pack when it comes to sacks.

9. TwoHeadedMonster

Sure, but they have 38 sacks, and 11.5 of those are from guys who are no longer on the team.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Their defense is bad and agreed on sacks but we have an interior on the offensive line that is probably going to get abused by their only two remaining stud players at the defensive tackle spot (Allen & Payne. Sounds like a cool law firm).

Most teams should be able to put up 4 touchdowns on this Commanders team. I’ll be shocked if the Jets score that many times let alone put touchdowns on the board.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  11. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Of their 38 sacks, 42 came against the Giants ;)

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I'd bet those 2 combine for double digit TFLs.

13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The Commanders also have a lot of guys playing for contracts next year or roster spots in an organization with a new bright young owner.

I expect a pretty lackluster effort by the home team on Christmas Eve.

Jets69 and abyzmul like this.
  14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

But does he rock personalized bling, stumbling drunkenly around the stadium while he gropes cocktails waitresses with damp baby hands?

15. Centiment

Centiment Well-Known Member

Not being bullrushed? they run straight past him!

wewantsapp likes this.
  16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

CJ is good, but he is getting up there in age for a LB - 32 next year. 17 mil next year is a bit steep. If he can take a significant pay-cut that would be most ideal. I really think that no one will offer him 17 mil on open market anyway, so keeping him at a lower # would be a smart thing to do.

As far as Laken, over the last two years he proved that he is a durable back-up, nothing more. I am OK to keep him at a back-up salary - maybe around 5 mil or so and he also can compete for starting spot. But 13 mil is way too much.

Lazard unfortunately is here to stay as his 11 mil is fully guaranteed for 2024. Much like Hardman, great QB play made them look a lot better than they really are. But at Lazard's salary, he is not getting traded. We are stuck with him for another year.

17. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

I remember us thinking exactly this way earlier this year and we got the shit kicked out of us. I’m not falling for that again!

18. TwoHeadedMonster

There's nothing to fall for-- the test is "is anybody on this O-line other than Tippman at all servicable?" A defense with no pass rush against real football teams will tell us if our OTs and OGs are backup quality or don't-belong-in-the-NFL quality. There's no trick to it.

19. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Need to get rid of:
    - Tomlinson
    - Lazard (though his cap hit is brutal)
    - Uzomah
    - Mosley needs to get restructured
    - Conklin
    - Becton

20. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

you could pretty much say this about every high priced free agent the Jets have signed in living memory