Shohei Ohtani to the Dodgers(10 years/$700M)

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by NYGalPal, Dec 10, 2023.

1. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

Wow...............

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It is fun for baseball but I think it's gonna be a bad deal in the long run for the Dodgers. Potentially really bad

for one, we dont know if he is still going to be able to pitch at a high level. So you are spending an insane amount of money on a DH. He can't play the field so he's going to have to maintain elite hitting levels for the next 10 years. I don't think he will but I like the kid

Savatage and stinkyB like this.
  3. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Now I know why my dad was mad I quit playing baseball so I could surf more....

Savatage likes this.
  4. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

This contract is insane.
    [​IMG]

5. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

With the way the contract is laid out I wouldn’t be surprised if the Dodgers get Yamamoto.

dawinner127 likes this.
  6. dawinner127

100000% agree. Ohtani only counting for $46m on the CBT is BS. If Cohen did this there would be pitchforks and a strike coming tomorrow.

Jonathan_Vilma and NYGalPal like this.
  7. dawinner127

If you go off of $ per WAR. Ohtani is underpaid by almost $10 million dollars/year. You can legitimately argue that he is underpaid for what he does

8. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Agree with all of this: it will be shocking if the Dodgers don't sign Yamamoto, this accounting trick on the tax is utter nonsense (and I expect that the loophole will be closed), and the fact that people aren't screaming about how the Dodgers are ruining baseball is striking.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yeah this is utter bullshit what they’re doing. I also don’t understand how the state is OK (especially a state like California who taxes everything) letting all that tax revenue disappear.

Then again he’s rich and famous so it’s cool. :D

dawinner127 likes this.
  10. dawinner127

Yeah I'm not really sure what they are going to do about that (if they can do anything?). My buddy who follows this way closer than I do mentioned that because Ohtani isn't a business or corporation California can't really do anything about it. Maybe they can go after the Dodgers for something instead, but he said Ohtani is in the clear with the taxes for California.

On the topic of the contract and CBT.

The Ohtani deferral is just so crazy b/c it has never been done to this magnitude. Not many players want to take $2m/yr. Ohtani is that rare case where he's making $50 million in advertisements off field so it doesn't even matter that he is taking the money a decade later.