Jets have informed Wilson that he will be traded....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The_Darksider, Dec 9, 2023.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

hiring the right people is key. he's hired some of the right people and some not so much. so you look at the whole picture.
    also if a GM goes out and hires gorden ramsey to fix his restaurant and he slips and busts his knee and can't work for a year, you can't turn around and say he's ignoring issues

2. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

But you would think that in the same circumstances he would find a way to make Ramsey useful anyway or go out and replace him. He wouldn't just take the year off and shrug his shoulders saying shit happens, I guess the sales just won't be there this year.

3. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

9.5 win total before the season- same as the Dolphins, one less than the Bills. Vegas loves making suckers out of one of the biggest sports gambling markets.

Also, with Aaron Rodgers, agree this team is different. He is a HOF quarterback. I don't think we're SB caliber, but at least playing meaningful December football. But after 4 1/2 years of injuries, eventually, you need to overcome adversity.

"I think JD has been overall our best GM in a long time. after Parcells retired so since 2001 we've had in order bradway, tennenbaum, idzik, maccagnan, and douglas."

And I think this is what fans keep getting suckered into. Besides Parcells/Tannenbaum, Douglas is the best GM we've had. I don't disagree.

But that's because we've had some of the worst GMs in NFL history over the last 20 years.

Our expectations of Woody hiring a competent football mind are ground floor. As others mentioned, they are afraid of Woody firing Douglas. Not because Douglas is a great GM, moreso because Woody has shown he can do worse- it's impressive.

I want to be wrong on Joe D., I will be thrilled if I am wrong and we're an SB/Playoff contender every year. But eventually, you need to string together a full year of competitive football no matter the adversity you face.

4. GasedAndConfused

i mean sure you can find a decent chef but they won't be gordon ramsey. also there are more good chefs in the world then NFL QBs. there is also no salary cap at restaurants, there are budgets but it's not like you aren't allowed to operate if you go over budget. zach wilson as a backup QB is fine, people aren't giving him a fair shake because they are mad we used a 2OA pick on him that he didn't live up to. doesn't mean he's not a capable backup. we've seen much worse play from backups and even some starters then we seen from zach. we were 4-3 with zach after 7 games when most predicted we wouldn't have even been that well off with rodgers. the team exceeded expectations despite key injuries after 7 weeks. the problem is more and more injuries piled up and we got more conservative (poor coaching decisions) that led to a 5 game slide. not to mention throwing 2 of those games away on boyle who just isn't capable (again poor coaching decision). coaching went back to zach and did what I said all along (just let him play and stop being conservative) and we beat a 7-5 team 30-7 easily. The NFL is also very "week to week" and short seasons make it hard to have trends. the broncos have been a top 5 team over the past 7 weeks but they started as a bottom 5 team the 1st 6 weeks. sometimes teams have talent but haven't put it together. chargers are a great example. very talented team but can't seem to win. lots of people talked shit about herbert and his record and losing in close games without realizing he was the main reason those games were even close and that the coaching is awful. fans are looking for answers and since they can't quantify they scapegoat 1 person.

remember when ulbrich was an awful hire after 1 season? and most here wanted him fired and i was like be patient, watch the film, he's doing a good job but we are lacking talent and the players keep fucking up, we'll be good when we get some better players in. sure enough we did and the D has been amazing and now everyone loves ulbrich. I know the results haven't been good this year but I think he's earned enough to get a do-over on this season and hope we can stay reasonably healthy next year

5. GasedAndConfused

I get that at the end of the day, fans want results. we have the longest playoff drought currently in the NFL. it's frustrating. what I see with JD is the team is trending upwards, we have a great core and a lot of young talent. the roster is way better across the board then we he took over. so the question is do you give him a little more time, especially with all the injuries we had this year at our weakest positions (I mean shit at CB we were down to CB3,5 and 6 for a game against a top team and won) or do you fire him, have someone come in who could possibly set the team back and delay the results even further, then fire him and do it again, and again etc etc.

changing out pieces that aren't the big issue because "it can't get worse" is how you wind up starting tim boyle for 2 weeks

The_Darksider likes this.
  6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

another ridiculous analogy. A restauranteur injuring his knee is rare, an act of God.

A football player getting injured is part of the sport

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

lol Gordon Ramsay

gold, Jerry

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

the last time a team with SB hopes lost their QB to an Achilles week 1 was us over 20 years ago. something that happens once every 20+ years is an act of god
    in 2019 there were over 93k injuries to people in restaurants https://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2020/9...esses-in-full-service-restaurants-in-2019.htm
    it's actual more common to get hurt while working in a restaurant then it is to pop your Achilles 4 snaps into a season as an NFL QB
    stop being so ridiculous that the GM could have predicted losing his QB for the season 4 snaps into it and should have accounted for "just in case" that happens

9. BrowningNagle

hahaha okay

10. GasedAndConfused

see now this is actually funny.

11. GasedAndConfused

typical response to you being wrong yet again for the millionth time. either that or no response which is my favorite from you always and in every situation ;) you may be most improved poster if you simply never responded to anyone

12. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Gordon Ramsey to me is like the Stephen A Smith of reality restaurant TV. I just don’t understand why anyone finds that asshole entertaining.

Ralebird, stinkyB, NY Jets68 and 2 others like this.
  13. BrowningNagle

I used to like him but he’s just on way too many shows.

14. BrowningNagle

you actually took the time to look up the bureau of labor statistics. I was just laughing at your pathetic life

15. GasedAndConfused

I don't either but he is a renowned chef and i've been to his burger place in vegas and it's pretty damn good

16. GasedAndConfused

see you could have been most improved but now you blew it. shame on the mods for not having a backup plan on you still being here ;)

17. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

Longest playoff drought in professional sports* He's getting more time whether I agree or not.

I don't think a new GM would mean rebuild, it would give someone else the opportunity to address what Joe D hasn't to date OL+Franchise QB(No need to rehash the attempts & injuries) It could actually expedite the progress Joe D has made, but its all hearsay. The true wildcard would be Woody Johnson competence on hiring another GM

The Jets are going all in with AR next year. He will either Save Joe D + Saleh, or we could be looking at another tear down/rebuild

18. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

His first entertaining show will be the one where someone hits hit him in the face with a cast iron skillet

19. BrowningNagle

he’s no emeril

stinkyB likes this.
  20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Thus no GM has control over future predicted injuries. But apparently a few here believe JD should have predicted all particularly in the OL. Not to say he should not have brought more infusion of youth in that area in any event, but you can’t overload all key positions because of potential injuries.

#260 LAJet, Dec 15, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2023