Jets have informed Wilson that he will be traded....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The_Darksider, Dec 9, 2023.

1. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

If you constantly preach you need to build the trenches as a GM, and 5 full years later, we have ? across the line especially at the tackle position.

I just don't get how you don't get blame. He'll have an opportunity to fix it, you'd think he'd get it right this time.

SOJAZ, Borat, boozer32 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Becton needs to step up his game...

3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

it's not sad to go into the offseason with needs. that describes literally every team.

4. GasedAndConfused

we did though. we signed fant opposite becton. in year 2 we signed moses and had moses and fant. in year 3 we signed brown and had fant and brown. in year 4 we didn't have a good backup plan but becton has been healthy. AVT is also a backup JD drafted since he can play OT too. one of the things he loved about AVT and why he traded up for him was his versatility. he just also got hurt.

5. GasedAndConfused

again in real life it doesn't happen. the niners are a great example. they went to the SB. next season they suffered a ton of injuries and went 6-10. it happens every year. some teams get decimated with injuries and have a bad year. the issue with us it's its every year. we are one of the most injured teams in the NFL over the past 5 years. it's insane. you also take 0 account of roster spots and the cap in your arguments and just do the "there has to be a way" when in reality there isn't always. every team has something their fans complain about. thats why there is parity

6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

just bad luck I guess right LOL

they can't possibly just be a bad football team

Ralebird and JetDan like this.
  7. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

Yeah, it is sad, when you've had (5) years to address the position and you're in the same boat as you were 5 years ago.

How many teams go into the offseason without a proven tackle? Nevertheless, after you've had (5) years to address the position and you don't have a proven starter(Yes AVT can be considered your proven starter as the emergency tackle!)

Most fans share this same sentiment- it's not pulling a rabbit out of a hat.

I know everything takes time right, it takes 5+ years to rebuild when you take over a roster with so many holes.

No need to reexplain, I’ve heard everything besides holding anyone accountable.

There's already a thread on Joe D- so I won't hijack this one.

Borat likes this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

reading comprehension bud. being a bad team and having bad luck aren't mutually exclusive.

9. GasedAndConfused

are we though? I mean we started with shell and beachum. becton and brown are better. rookie becton and fant was better. moses and fant was better. AVT is an emergency OT as well.
    its just been hard to judge the actual outcome due to no continuity and all the injuries.
    he's had 4 offseasons with the team and we went from the last ranked defense to an elite unit.
    we went from robbie and crowder and the oft injured enunwa to GW, CD, and lazard. CD retiring killed it and lazard has been trash but GW is much better
    Conklin is one of the best TEs we've had in a long time.
    we got a HOF QB in a trade

it's still a much better team then when he started which is kind of the point. sadly we haven't been able to be reasonably healthy to reap the results fans would like

10. BrowningNagle

right but if you call it bad luck every time, its just making excuses for the bad team

11. BrowningNagle

There are teams that started out better, tore down and built back up another better team already in the timeframe Joe Douglas has had to "rebuild"

12. GasedAndConfused

explanation =/= excuse

13. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

If, and that's a BIG IF, IF Wilson plays anywhere near the level, over the next 4 games, as he displayed last Sunday then I will change my stance to keeping Wilson (I know...gasp!) and going out and getting a new O.C. It is clear the Wilson HAS what is necessary from a skill stand point. It is also clear that the intellect to actually employ those skills AND a game plan exist as well. However, what is also clear is, up to just before last Sunday, our O.C. has proven incapable of reliably putting together a plan to best utilize his QB's talents. So I'll ask, as I did in the other thread, which is harder? Finding a FQB or finding an O.C. that can manage, coach up and deploy a game plan that best utilizes the QB's talents. At this point in time, knowing what I know about NY Jets history, us finding a serviceable FQB is a LOT harder than finding the O.C.

This team's ability to obtain an FQB is impacted by so many variables. What's our draft positioning, how many games did the kid play in college, is he big enough to withstand the beating and the list goes on and on and on. When it comes to an O.C...outside of folks who are ALREADY O.C's, the entire word is our oyster with ZERO limitations. So, having said that, FUCK Rodgers AND the horse he rode in on and go find an honest to goodness O.C!!!! Someone who has done this shit before and not some green ass "newbie" looking for a shot. I want none of that.

I want the NY Jets to win football games before I finally hit my "limit" and throw my support behind this team in the trash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LAJet likes this.
  14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Well, yes bad luck to some extent (we are the Jets after all), but also like Dr Chao explained we increased our probability for injuries by rolling out poor line to begin with then scrambling to change everyone with one injury because there are no good back-ups at each spot. That causes more injures as injuries beget injuries. Again, if you listen to Dr Chao, who specializes in injury probability analysis it actually helps explain why we have so many injuries, and it is not just bad luck. especially since we seem to have this bad luck every year under JD.

Coaching is also to blame, but JD hired the coach, so at the end of the day to me JD is #1 guy who fucked up what should have been at the very least finally a play-off season. This year we would have missed play-offs for 13 straight seasons. JD was here for 5 of them. For my money even if do manage to win 6 -7 games again, JD simply hasn't earned another shot by merit.

15. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

Yes about the tackle position, we are in the same boat. We have (?) in both spots.

Of course, it's an overall better team, it HAS to be after 5 years and top 10 draft picks.

The results have remained the same. This offseason will be do or die, so we'll see if Joe D finally addresses the personnel he pledged he would build

16. GasedAndConfused

it's a theory. and while i'm sure it holds some weight, it's still odds based and he gives no numbers because you can't quantify it. like what if a normal play is 30% chance and in his case it goes up to 35%. at the end of the day it's all luck. I'm over 40 and have suffered no major injuries in my life. outside of a motorcycle crash i've only had sprained ankles and jammed fingers and stuff like that. I'm active i've played all sports throughout my life. I've wakeboarded, lacrosse, football, baseball, basketball, golf, bowling. This past summer I sprained my MCL. sometimes shit just happens and you land wrong and it's bad luck.

also 2019 can't be attributed to JD at all. he came on after the draft and FA. 2020 was his 1st offseason and he had to shed dead weight for cap room (bad contracts like bell and trumaine) and trade away players for future assets (like adams). we really had no talent, a 3rd overall bust at QB and bottom 5 on defense and offense with 0 cap room. so his 1st real offseason the only thing he could do was tear down to prep for the future. we also had mosley with a ton of dead money who sat out for covid. we also had a lame duck head coach. 2021 was when he was finally able to start operating because gase was fired and he paved the way to have some flexibility on the roster. hired his coaching staff he wanted, traded away the previous QB and drafted his QB and started building the roster the new coaches wanted. in that time the D went from shitty to an elite unit. the offense still has issues but GW is the best WR we've had since brandon marshall for 2 years at the end of his career, when the o-line was healthy it's the best we've had since brick and mangold retired. the o-line looked solid for about 3 weeks until injuries piled up. he noticed his mistake with wilson after 2 seasons and went out and traded for a HOF QB. the TE group with conklin and ruckert is also the best we've had since herndons rookie season. breece is also the best RB we've had since probably curtis martin. there has been noticeable improvement in the entire team. we have 5 wins but 4 were against playoff teams. all the evidence is there, that if we were reasonably healthy we'd be in the playoff run right now.

17. GasedAndConfused

we'll do somehting about the OTs in the offseason. right now we only have 2 on the roster with warren and mitchell. we'll have more room then we expected. we can sign one and draft one and sign a mid tier swing guy easily.

Jets79 likes this.
  18. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

OK, we agree there was some bad luck, but we strongly disagree that ALL of it was bad luck, and I do believe the opinion of the doctor specializing in injury probability, which suggests it was not all bad luck but also what FO/Coaching did contributed as well. We can end that part of the debate with our own opinions intact.

As far as 2019, sure it is not all on JD as he came late, but the pathetic thing is at least as of right now he had his highest winning % that year. Not everything can be excused by just saying JD is one unlucky son of a bitch.

Ralebird likes this.
  19. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Spot on, I said this in another thread. His 1st presser were about being DOMINANT in the trenches. we are anything but and JD is the blame... Like CC siad, good GM overcome injuries...JD hasn't.

JetDan and Borat like this.
  20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

LOL. 5 years and still waiting, GAC.