Jets have informed Wilson that he will be traded....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The_Darksider, Dec 9, 2023.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Write to the NY post then and tell them you are our resident genius and they are wrong

2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

their job is to get morons to click their links by inciting stupidity. not to be accurate. seems like he's doing his job well ;)

3. BrowningNagle

Now you know what their job is too?

4. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Ok everyone, let's reign it back in with the name-calling.

Please stick to the topic at hand and be civil.

5. GasedAndConfused

yeah duh. everyone does.

6. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

It wasn’t “bad luck” that we didn’t bother to bring on a capable backup in the offseason.
    And it certainly wasn’t “bad luck” that JD continued to sit on his hands at QB week after week while it was apparent we were wasting another season.
    it also wasn’t “bad luck” that we rostered Billy Turner when depth and starters at OT looked either terrible or absent all camp and preseason, with Turner being the worst of them.

But the QB inaction in particular was the single most negligent act I’ve ever witnessed a Jets GM make.
    And it was so obvious since the offseason, making this wasted season all the more frustrating.

Borat, papapump, NY Jets68 and 2 others like this.
  7. GasedAndConfused

The OT spot was weak heading into the season. I agree with that, but every team has to have a weak spot here or there. we aren't the only one. We lacked depth at OT, our starters were mid at best case scenario and WR2 was an issue. I think we all knew that but every team has these holes. it's part of the cap and limited talent pool. we have probably the best secondary, the best d-line rotation/depth and possibly the best starting LBer duo in the NFL there are going to be holes elsewhere when you have that. turner was a bad pick obviously but you can get by with 1 bad OT using TEs and RBs to help. you can also use the OGs on 4 man rushes depending how the D lines up.

8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I often agree with you, but saying "The OT spot was weak heading into the season" is a massive understatement. It's BEEN weak for years, and any competent GM would've addressed - not TRIED to address it - but SOLVED it long before now. And that's just talking about the OTs. The rest of the OL and backups with the exception of AVT - who always seems to get hurt - and Tippman who didn't start the season as a starter, weren't even mediocre. It was that massive persistent, failure that made our QB situation worse (however anyone judged it).

If you play chess, you know that the King is the most valuable piece on the board, but because he can't move much he needs the rest of the pieces to cover him. Same with football and the QB position. JD has been checkmated repeatedly and still can't figure out what's wrong. He might a hell of a good checkers player, but he sucks at chess.

9. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Irrespective of whether the reports are true or not...it seeems to me that ZW tenure here is finished. Call it speculation on my part but it seems inevitable. Most know I am not a ZW supporter but the kid play well this past weekened and my hope for his sake (future) and our (value add - trade - if he balls out) that continues... He seens to have matured this year and with all the bullets that have been fired at this kid he is still standing...

Lets hope last week was an outliner....

10. GasedAndConfused

IDK about weak for years. when JD took over we had shell, beachum, and edoga as the top 3. beachum left and signed a min deal and he was pretty hated here. shell was too and signed for cheap as well. both were making backup money. in his 1st offseason he used his 1st on an OT in becton and he signed fant for 3 years 27mil. fant was better for us then beachum and shell ever were and was a low key great signing. becton looked like a beast as a rookie until the freak injury. i'd say form 2019 to 2020 he spent a lot upgrading the OTs
    then in 2021 we planned on running that back but also signed moses late as insurance and moses and fant wound up starting
    in 2022 we let moses walk and had fant and becton who again got hurt. we should have kept moses but instead signed brown late
    in 2023 we let fant walk and ran with brown and becton.
    I'd definitely say that letting fant and moses walk were mistakes but also JD has put some work into the OT spot. we signed 3 different starters (fant, moses, brown) drafted becton with a 1st, had a few swing backups too and used 2 mid round picks on developmental OTs

11. BrowningNagle

haven’t had a good LT since D’Brick

SOJAZ likes this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

With all due respect, I know full well the series of moves JD ATTEMPTING to fix the OL, but he failed, plain and simple. I originally liked the Becton signing, but warning flags went up when they decided to keep the Wide Zone Scheme given Becton's build. And sure enough he quickly got hurt, and has yet to return to anything like the form he was expected to deliver. I don't think it's a coincidence that we've kept the same blocking scheme. And Becton proceeded to not take his rehabbing seriously until a gun was put to his head.

The bottom line is that OL should've been fixed by now. That is the ONLY thing that counts.

SOJAZ, BacktoQueens, Borat and 2 others like this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

i understand that. I just don't think it's really fair to judge with all the injuries. the case i make is what if we took wirfs and he got rolled up on and becton was killing it in TB? becton looked like a pro bowler as a rookie until that. so I go, can't really blame the GM for that. the other point too is moses/fant were probably our best starting OTs in a decade. even with becton down, the 2021 OTs were really good. we really should have resign moses. with moses/becton right now we'd be looking good. weeks 3-5 our o-line looked pretty good. not great but at least NFL average. that was becton/tomlinson/CMG/Tippman/AVT. AVT going down the past 2 years has killed the o-line. with him in it, our line has looked mostly good. we also have open spots now so should be interesting to see what we do at OT in the offseason.

14. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Do people want Dobbs or did that ship sail??

15. GasedAndConfused

that ship sailed when people finally realized how wrong they were about him. I doubt a single person wanting him here actually watched him play a full game once

Mogriffjr likes this.
  16. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

Was Becton a good draft pick?

Or he would have been a good draft pick if he didn't get freakishly injured if I am understanding the above

17. GasedAndConfused

at the time he was. he looked great before the injury then missed 2.5 years. he's been up and down this season. did we get what we wanted out of a 1st rounder from him? no.
    but when people say "we should have taken wirfs" maybe he gets injured here and becton kills it in TB. thats why you can't do the "what if" game
    it does suck to think about if he had never gotten hurt though

Ralebird likes this.
  18. ColoradoContrails

G&C, please you're just shoveling sand into the tide. If you want to believe your take, fine, but I won't be convinced that Douglas doesn't deserve the blame. ALL GMs have to deal with injuries, and unexpected things, but the ones who are good find ways to overcome them. Douglas simply hasn't done that. He's doubled down on his bad choices in fact. It's great to believe on yourself and your plans, but when reality shows that you're wrong you need to adjust. Douglas hasn't done this successfully. If you can't agree with this point, then there's no sense in continuing the discussion.

Ralebird, SOJAZ, BacktoQueens and 2 others like this.
  19. ColoradoContrails

On this point, let me clarify. I'm not crucifying JD for taking Becton. IDT at the time he expected him to be used in Wide Zone scheme, but in any case, okay, he got hurt. But where I DO blame him is for his decisions - especially regarding Becton - after that first injury. Becton taking so long to rehab - which was clearly made longer and harder because he added so much weight. Why didn't JD at least make a strong effort to acquire a top flight Tackle in FA or trades, or the draft? It was clear to even the most casual observer that Becton would never be the T he drafted, and would never be reliable.

So the "crime" wasn't drafting Becton, it was in dealing with it once it became obvious that Becton wasn't a good fit.

20. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

Well before the draft, teams were worried about his weight. But agreed, we didn't get what we wanted out of a 1st rounder. If Wirfs get injured, he still turns out better than Becton, but that conversation is pointless to have since its hypothetical. That 2020 draft is looking poorer and poorer covid year or not.

We're going into 2024 season with both tackle positions undecided. You can name all the names you want, an all the roster maneuvering, the bandaid fixes, the injuries, but that is the sad fact.