Aaron Rodgers: “There is a rat in the building”

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by CTJet22, Dec 5, 2023.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

people are saying that in hindsight but the reality is there is nobody to get. no team is trading their backup to us. no good QB is sitting unsigned. we started off 4-3 with zach when fans felt we would have been lucky o be 4-3 with rodgers due to the brutal schedule to start the season. after 7 weeks we weren't that bad off. things went really downhill when the o-line injuries piled up specifically AVT and all the interior backups.

2. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

Most of the fan base backed off from Zach after a little while. In fact, a good portion of them defended him even when they thought it was true.

Me, I just looked at the bigger picture of what it means than I did about him being afraid to play, angry and spiteful, or anything else that was speculated.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  3. The_Darksider

H
    Hindsight!??! People were screaming for weeks about not finding someone. I remember assuming Douglas would be on the phone by halftime, then assuming maybe by Week 2, and then the accusations started, and then eventually Namath said his piece and the press went nuts - and then Siemian - to the practice squad. Everyone saw that bullshit move for what it was immediately.

There's no hindsight here.

Ralebird likes this.
  4. GasedAndConfused

right. I think people tend to forget players are human. they look at them like robots. just shut up and play and nobody cares about it. it's a nonsense take. zach is only 25. he's probably the same age as or younger then most people's kids here. he's a bad QB but doesn't mean he's a bad person. for all we've seen he really is trying to be better he just doesn't have it. it doesn't mean people should pile on the kid for simply not being good enough to be a starting NFL QB

5. The_Darksider

I said that in my post - the "if" was taken out. But the "he wouldn't be here" wasn't taken out.

6. GasedAndConfused

yes but again we were 1-0 and then 4-3. there wasn't anyone out there either. everyone was screaming dobbs but he wasn't available to the deadline and he's very overrated due to people liking his story. he's really no better then zach and honestly probably not as good

7. GasedAndConfused

yes. thank you for that. that 1 word that was purposely cut out changed the whole thing. that was a great catch. just another example of why we can't trust the media.

8. The_Darksider

That's the hindsight - not the fans wanting a backup. Hindsight, 4-3 looks good. Reality - the only impressive game was a loss. lol Denver was mildly impressive, but no real offense. The Giants and Philly wins were two of the most giftwrapped wins you'll ever see - and through all of it, people were screaming about having a safety net.

9. GasedAndConfused

yeah but again who was available. nobody thought dobbs was available at all at the time. it was a surprise when arizona traded him at the deadline. even then they weren't going to trade him week 2. the only ones we knew to be available were wentz, simian, ryan, flacco. all the free agents nobody wanted. we signed one of the 4.

10. The_Darksider

I've stipulated that they all suck. But the EFFORT wasn't there. They were content to roll with Wilson and that's the issue to me. He's so bad that you go spend draft picks and kill the cap to replace him and hopefully let him learn, but then throw all that away and resign yourself to the fact that it's him or nothing? Nope. Not acceptable. And what started this line of the convo was the Douglas thing - was it him? Was it mandated from above? If it's him, I no longer have his back. If it was above, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised. That simple.

11. GasedAndConfused

they did sign one though. we signed simian. that gave us 3 options. zach, simina, and boyle. zach is the bets of the 3. people just don't want to accept we weren't getting anything better then zach at that point for whatever reason. people can't seem to understand someone can be bad but still be your best option.

12. The_Darksider

I said three times that they signed Siemian after what, four weeks? Five weeks? What good did that do by then? And it's not like he was a decent option, they never even pretended to give him a shot. So that only proves my point further.

Stop taking the debate from week five back to week one and then back to week five again.

The poster formerly known as broomulack - was time for a change.

13. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

The Jets said multiple times they wanted Zach Wilson to take a year and sit behind AR and learn.

How can you have that mindset, and accept ZW as your backup QB going into the year? Especially with a 39-year-old QB who potentially could get hurt.

This isn't even about after AR went down, or the trade deadline. Those were just more chances for JD to make a move but he decided to sit on his thumbs. The entire offseason fans were asking for a QB2 not named Zach Wilson.

"Who was available" A GM's job is to work the phones and make calls on players they could potentially be interested in. That does not need to be public information to you and me.

Ralebird likes this.
  14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I’m not sure the record would be much different if Rodgers was healthy all year.

Clearly the Jets were wrong about the talent on the roster and on Nathaniel Hackett’s ability to use it

15. GasedAndConfused

they said they expected zach to have to start a game or 2 and were fine with that. they didn't expect to lose rodgers 4 snaps into the season
    I understand more people could be available then what we as fans know but again you don't know if JD did make calls or not either. it works both ways. at the end of the day all we can say is he signed a FA QB. the fact that JD does seem to do these little moves all the time like cutting boyle to sign rypien as soon as he could, means it's possible he did make calls. maybe he liked rypien and tried to get him and the rams said no thanks. who knows?

16. GasedAndConfused

we signed him sept 26th. aaron rodgers went down sept 11th at night. so the earliest we could have signed him was sept 12th the next day. so exactly 2 weeks later. we also don't know who he was talking to those 2 weeks prior to simian. he could have been trying to get someone else and when he couldn't defaulted back to simian. he was also in talks with wentz but didn't seem like we had much interest.

17. The_Darksider

Definitely thought it was later than that.

You make a good point, and then you go back to random speculating again. Funny how you love to speculate when it suits you, but you are black-and-white when it doesn't. Lol

18. GasedAndConfused

i'm just saying we don't know what happened in those 2 weeks. thats all. and 2 weeks isn't that long at all. fans have this idea that JD is sitting on his ass eating donuts all the time and doing nothing which is insane.

19. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

I don't recall hearing anything about the Jets wanting Zach to start 1-2 games with a healthy Rodgers before the season. If you meant after Rodgers went down- yeah that is fine, he was the backup QB? No one is going to come in that fast and learn the offense. But then you have outliers like Dobbs who came in the week he got traded and led the Vikings to a victory without knowing the playbook. Who knows what could have happened

"they didn't expect to lose rodgers 4 snaps into the season" No one did, but it's a GM's job to have a contingency plan in place. You can't just say the season is over, our QB is hurt. I don't know if Joe D made calls throughout the season, but I do know Joe D was confident in ZW being the backup QB coming into the season with a healthy line. That is bizarre to me.

Hopefully, he gets asked at his EOY presser about his strategy with backup QB, and I am very curious to hear the answer.

Ralebird likes this.
  20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

We don't know. All we can do is go by results. His QB went down and he didn't do shit except bring in a practice squad guy two weeks later who wasn't ready for a month after that. Terrible roster management

The_Darksider likes this.