Fire Joe Douglas 2023-24 Edition

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HomeoftheJets, Nov 19, 2023.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Injuries are a part of the game, every team deals with them and plans for them. Joe Douglas has just built a bad football team.

JohnnyJet and REVISion like this.
  2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

being built around him isn't the same as running the show. russini said something completely different which rodgers called her out on and she backtracked it and denied ever reporting it.

3. GasedAndConfused

we'll never really know. maybe next year if everyone stays healthy we'll get a chance to see how close we really are
    the reality is when teams are winning they become overrated and when losing they become underrated.
    fans perception of players changes drastically based on team record. especially for the middle tier guys. solid starters are seen as "trash" on a losing team but "gems" on a winning team

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

yup there are others too- George Fant will start sunday for Houston against our Jets. And Morgan Moses is starting for the 1st place Baltimore Ravens

Bellys Lies likes this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

signing fant and moses over what we had at the time was good moves. letting moses walk over fant was a bad move, then not resigning fant was a bad move too.

KY Jets Fan and Jets79 like this.
  6. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

We can make assumptions. There were plenty of people, myself included, who felt that they weren't Super Bowl material even with Aaron Rodgers. I felt that with a decent quarterback, they would contend for a playoff spot, and with him they might almost be assured of one, but that was the extent of it. They still needed more pieces.

Jets fans are like, in the words of Eddie Murphy, people who have been stuck in a desert for months. At that point, a cracker is like the best food you've ever had. We as Jets fans are so desperate for anything good that we immediately jump straight to Super Bowlthere's a lot that can be the case in between. Jets fans tend to be all in or all out, fire everybody, or we're going to the Super Bowl and anyone who doesn't think so is a hater.

And since that turned out to be the case, I will take credit for having been correct about it.

So final answer, they weren't really as good as some people felt they were.

JohnnyJet and GasedAndConfused like this.
  7. The_Darksider

Truth!!! With a fair amount of bad luck thrown in, but as you stated yesterday on a different post, sometimes you make your own good or bad luck.

8. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

9. The_Darksider

10. GasedAndConfused

I mean it's hard to tell how the "on paper" how it would have worked out. I don't think anyoen can be right. it's like a rookie who sits his 1st year, you can't judge it without seeing the product. we never got to see the product
    as far as fans go you pretty much nailed it. but because jet fans are like that there is no patience. they are tired of waiting.

11. GasedAndConfused

12. The_Darksider

Dude, we are not living in a cosmic science fiction novel where we can view alternate universe, so you go by empirical evidence. Darksiders like myself talk about how the Jets never get anything right, things don't go their way, and we're constantly ridiculed for being negative. But we're usually right.

In this case, after seeing what happened with this team after Aaron Rodgers went down, I can't possibly give any credence to a theory that states they may have been OK with him. From the coaching staff, to the front office, to the offensive line, there's no way they would have been OK.

JohnnyJet, Ralebird and Mehl-56 like this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

we won after rodgers went down. and we were 4-3 with a backup QB. it's been the last 5 weeks when we were losing o-line like crazy. AVT was the straw that broke the camels back. when he went down we haven't won since. same thing happened last year when AVT went down. the whole offense went to shit. we lost too many lineman

14. The_Darksider

Back to this again. We were handed those wins and while they count, we didn't have ONE SINGLE impressive win this year. Not one.

JohnnyJet likes this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

neither do the steelers. and they've been outplayed in every game. and they haven't suffered a ton of injuries. barely any really. yet they are 7-5. giants were the same last year making the playoffs.

16. The_Darksider

[​IMG]

Uncle.

JohnnyJet likes this.
  17. GasedAndConfused

lol

18. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

No doubt but it also means doomed to misfortune and there's a whole lot of doom around this franchise.

19. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I’m going to take a contrarian view which may not be of the majority right now and throw a bone Douglas’ way. I think he has done a better job of bringing talent to the Jets than any other GM I can remember since Parcells. I don’t fault him for Wilson. I believe that’s on Saleh. Even some of the top picked players that have come and gone have shown flashes of talent such as Mims, Moore and Carter. Sure he has made mistakes like Robinson and Cook, and the failure to provide adequate backup for a 40 y.o. QB. It’s hard to know whether Rodgers was him or Woody, I suspect the latter. The failure of Wilson to develop led the team to take the shortcut to success which has blown up in everyone’s face. I wouldn’t be adverse to retaining Douglas, but Saleh’s consistent faith in Wilson, when the entire football world could only scratch their head in amazement that Wilson still had a job after last season and this, means he has no clue as to what makes an offense run (Hint: it’s the QB) and should be shown the door.

20. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Frankie Luvu out hitting like a truck for Carolina too..

The 'tear down' is a lazy ineffective strategy that just buys GMs more time, and the false narrative that they 'had' to change 95% of the roster (when they didn't have to).
    Makes no sense while trying to elevate a young QB in Darnold followed by Wilson.
    Costed time and wasted draft capital in the long run.

JohnnyJet, ouchy and BrowningNagle like this.