Fire Joe Douglas 2023-24 Edition

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HomeoftheJets, Nov 19, 2023.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The only thing I can think of as to Douglas's moves this year is that it was his way of telling Woody to fuck off and keep his hands out of things. Basically, if Woody forced him to get Rodgers and short circuit his "blueprint" approach, Douglas decided to give Woody the full treatment, and show him what his shortsighted thinking would result in. That's probably not what happened, but it would provide a logical reason for why Douglas would seemingly abandon his previous "slow and steady" approach for this disaster.

teamgreen likes this.
  2. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I mean even if Woody forced JD to get Rodgers, that by itself was not where JD fucked up. He could have still built a line to protect him instead of giving up a pick swap and then using 1st rounder on a redundant player. Plus everything else. There is just no excuse IMO.

3. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Again, it's not Rogers, it's the lack of getting a backup after injury and tripling down on ZW

ouchy likes this.
  4. jjt4201

jjt4201 Active Member

Actually, you know what, I am going to change my position. I am going to say go ahead and keep calling for his head. Let's do it.
    Hold on to your tickets, cause if you get fans clamoring for the GM's head and coach's head, and you get your wish, that mean this time WILL be different. You will absolutely break the cycle, because this time there is no way anything gets swept under the rug. We will know the truth of the situation and I suspect more than some of you on here will have some nifty statistical redirection, to get back to the power cycle of loserdom that you so enjoy.
    If Woody remains owner, I would want the team exactly as it is now, with new QBs and fresh OL and WR*; IF the GM and coach can do so without slow Jack making technical decisions about the product on the field. Otherwise, if you fire whomever; what you will see is an amazing circus, and if you are truly a fan, no amount statistical evidence about this coach's tenure, or that GM's abilities, will make you feel better about the outcome when the whole world is laughing at you for the NEXT decade.
    If Woody comes out and says, "this mess is mine, I made bad decisions in spite of the warnings from those I hired and subsequently displaced to make this decision in the coach and GM, I did so for reasons that even though I thought were in the best interest of the team, may have been shortsighted and obviously, devastating to our season. From this day forward I would like to give this team without my unprofessional interference and try to become a better NFL owner; a job of which, I am still learning. As a result of this, I will be giving a 30% ticket discount to PSL owners and preseason will be free for all. Thank you, no further questions." If he did this, there would be no reason to fire anyone, and we can go back to the business of a bunch of guys trying to win a trophy.

#344 jjt4201, Dec 4, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2023
  5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

this franchise has struggled to find a QB for over 4 decades and fans think it's easy to just find one after the 1st week of a season? Even with rodgers we expected at best a 3-3 start due to the tough schedule and we reached that with zach. we were 4-3 at 1 point. now we dropped 6 in a row as the o-line injuries piled up and took away any run game we had. we benched zach for boyle who was worse. then we benched boyle for simian this past week who was worse. no QB was succeeding here that we had a chance to get

6. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

The logical reason for Douglas abandoning his previous approach is that he knew he'd be fired if we did poorly again this season. He had to make a splash move no matter how detrimental it was to our long-term prospects in order to save his job. This happens with every bad GM when they near the end of their run, they sell the future to try and save their jobs for a couple more years.

7. GasedAndConfused

it doesn't have to be a GM on the hot seat. all GMs sell the future for win now when they feel they are close. Rams did it and won a SB, TB did it and won a SB.

8. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

I look at Woody and see the root problem at the heart of pretty much every franchise failure happening right now. I've said it for years now, and his enhanced level of meddling this past offseason only re-enforces it 10 fold for me. We as fans are ultimately stuck rooting for the constant long shot chance that this franchise essentially succeeds by mistake, and while then placing an unfair amount (not that they are ever completely blameless mind you) of the rage blame on the guys that can actually be fired when that doesn't happen. Can't fire Woody or the QB he over-empowered to the point we can't/won't even put one competent offensive mind in the coaching room for next year for example, so instead it's <insert whatever "it's all THIS or THAT bumbling idiot's fault!" blame game narrative here that allows you to sidestep that reality and at least trick yourself into thinking things are getting fixed anyway>.

This is big part of why I ultimately keep harping on the fact that hitting on that OC hire For *US* was/is the much more important thing to get right then anything else. Including what specific upgrade QB was brought in that wouldn't require massive sacrifices everywhere else to make happen, or what GM you want to bring in after firing Joe D to do a job that ultimately boils down to needing a fair amount of educated guess luck to go your way in order to be deemed a "success". Hitting on a great/inventive offensive mind with a spine that comes in and succeeds too much right out of the gate to be immediately undermined after-the-fact is realistically our most likely path to that succeeding by mistake outcome. Which then hopefully at least might buy us a couple fun years of football to watch before they then inevitably parlay that resume into moving on to greener pastures.

9. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

How do you watch the game yesterday and say confidently "no QB was succeeding here that we had a chance to get"

Even Saleh came to Hackett's defense when asked why the Jets were sticking with him at his post-game presser

The pass blocking was not the reason the team lost yesterday nor was the offensive line.

A decent backup QB would have won that game, which comes full circle and falls on JD's poor roster management.

10. GasedAndConfused

he gave his normal coach speak and not a real reason with hackett. regardless though it's true. we have no run game or run blocking. we have 1 WR worth a damn, and we have a bad OC and a defensive minded HC who doesn't seem to want to change anything and is coaching the players not to fuck up and hoping to win it on defense which is insane in todays NFL. he'd rather lose close games then to take a chance

REVISion likes this.
  11. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The flaming I got when my first post after the Rodgers trade was calling Douglas selfish for giving up way too much for him...

Borat likes this.
  12. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I don't think it happened, but if Douglas tanked the season and ruined a year of the players' careers to teach Woody a lesson, he has no business working in football in any capacity. But again, I don't think that happened. I think he was just too arrogant to invest in the position groups he'd already invested in because he can't admit making mistakes.

Borat likes this.
  13. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I think you are entirely correct -- but I think that Woody accidentally bringing in the right people for ANYTHING is like the same guy winning multiple lottery jackpots on the same night.

Since I have been progressively more dissatisfied with each GM and Coaching Staff we've hired since Woody took over (and the bar DID NOT start high), I'm going to get ahead of the game -- I already hate the next GM and the next HC even more than I hate JD and Saleh.

As i posted elsewhere, Wood isn't going to hire anybody that's actually competent in any role unless, as you state, it happens by pure accident. Therefore, I support keeping JD and Saleh around on the grounds that Incompetence + Stability is greater than Incompetence + Instability. As long as Woody is in charge, Competence is not on the table unless we just so happen to pull in the Power Ball and the Mega Millions Jackpots at the same time.

abyzmul and jjt4201 like this.
  14. jjt4201

jjt4201 Active Member

This is the only answer. Well said.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

This is what I was talking before, when I mentioned JD is not a true understudy of Howie Rosman, because they worked together for a very short time: 3 years. His roots are in Baltimore, and he was a scout there for 15 years, a low position, and wasn't exactly working closely with Ozzie Newsome.

I think we can do better with the current Howie Roseman assistant GM, who actually worked with him for 16 years, 12 of them as a direct assistant.

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Hard to fight the logic in this post.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  17. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

In that scenario, with Douglas sabotaging the season to get back at Woody for bringing Rodgers, then Woody's the only one that made a decent decision.

He needs to make another good decision and fire Douglas yesterday. His handling of the QB situation this year is right up there with Idzik blowing 12 picks in one draft and Mac giving a washed up LeVeon Bell a contract.

18. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

Just heard a snippet from the Michael Kay interview with Russini. In a nutshell; she confirms that if Rogers wants this staff back next year, ownership will accommodate him.
    As we've suspected, Rogers is running the show.

Ralebird likes this.
  19. GasedAndConfused

we literally all knew this already. it isn't breaking news. it's her stating the obvious. the rodgers "regime" was going to be 2 years at minimum. it was confirmed in the offseason. after that it's anyone's guess. she's just enjoying her 15 mins right now. I wouldn't feed into it.

20. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

An organization run by a bunch of emasculated eunuchs has no chance of success. That's my point. They're allowing a man with no experience as a coach or GM to make decisions about the future of this organization. That's insanity.