The Tank Is On - Tankathon 2023 (Jets pick 10th in 2024 Draft)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Borat, Nov 24, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I'm so torn on how I want them to approach this offseason. If they somehow do get up to 2, take Maye and just spend money in FA for Rodgers weapons/OL.

I am in the camp that they somehow make an all in push for Adams, so if they do that. I would be okay with Foshanu or Alt and just being in the top 5.

OTOH, having MHJR with GW as WRs and being able to go after someone like Jonah Williams or Andrus Peat at T. Having GW and MHJR for 2 years with Rodgers with developmental guy also really intrigues me. You can keep throwing darts at QB in 2024 and 2025 (Rodgers retires here), and in 2026 you can sign some sort of stop gap with rookie and still have weapons like GW and MHJR where you can still score points. It would be a really good situation for a young QB to learn with elite weapons.

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Bo Nix seems like a classic Jets QB

3. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

With our Bo Nix would be fine.

4. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

I think we were just poop. Had we tanked, we would have a quarterback with the number 16 and long blonde hair along with a bunch of funny memes about women who look like him.

5. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Marvin Harrison Jr is almost in reach, especially since we will lose to the Pats yet again.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  6. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

it's going to depend greatly on FA but seems like OT will be a higher need and we'll get a veteran WR. rodgers prefers vets too. right now evans and adams seem like the main targets. higgins will be available too.

7. James Hasty

If Harrison Jr is off the board OT might just be the right call.

If we pass on Harrison Jr we will have a decade to regret it while he plays somewhere else.

With Garrett Wilson, Marvin Harrison Jr, and Breece Hall our QB would not need long to release the ball.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

and I get that. and it's a valid case. but we don't have another pick until round 3 and we can't go into the season with warren and mitchell at OT so alot will depend on free agency. We also aren't looking for "next decade" we are looking for 2024 to make a run. it could be rodgers last season and could be this regimes last season so It's not a year we will worry about the next decade from an organizational standpoint. protection rodgers has to be priority 1 and there are some good WRs in free agency but not quite as much at OT.

The other counterpoint is no team has ever been built around a WR. calvin johnson pissed his career away winning nothing with the lions and retired early. we built a pretty damn good team with the brick/mangold draft.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. James Hasty

The Dallas Cowboys built around Michael Irvin and had him on the roster a full year before adding Troy Aikman.

As a rookie Brett Favre had veteran Sterling Sharpe to throw to.

Ken O'Brien had Wesley Walker.

The list goes on and on.

Pepsiguy5 and BrowningNagle like this.
  10. BrowningNagle

Garrett Wilson and Marvin Harrison is an awesome combo. We ought to be able to find someone who can find them the ball

11. GasedAndConfused

thats a list from 30 years ago
    the KOB jets is far from what we'd want now. we didn't build nothing with slow B and walker. we had a losing record overall in a 10ish year span with 2 playoff appearances and 0 playoff wins. the 2009-2010 jets had more success in those 2 years then the KOB led jets in a decade
    the cowboys had 3 HOFers in aikman, irvin, and smith. also irvin didn't really do much until his 4th season. in todays NFL they would have been calling him a bust heading into that year. they were just a stacked team overall but it wasn't built around irvin

that list is pretty bad. todays NFL is still won in the trenches and at QB. rush the opposing teams QB, keep your QB clean and stay in front of the sticks with a good run game. Wrs are important too obviously but if we can't protect rodgers next year it's all moot

12. James Hasty

To be fair this was the team that lost the mud bowl in Miami.

When this team was in Superbowl form in 1985-1986 many of the players from the mud bowl were long in the tooth and got injured causing us to lose five consecutive games to end the season.

Ken O' Brian was the second best quarterback we ever had but he had a line and he had weapons when he got the start, we didn't simply throw him our there as the first building block.

13. GasedAndConfused

slow B was one of our best (arguable the best when you consider how long he played for how well he did) he was no marino though and those teams overall weren't successful

14. James Hasty

That 1985 squad was the best Jet team I saw in my lifetime.

To bad everyone got injured.

barfolomew likes this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

literally happens anytime we have a team that seems like it'll contend

James Hasty likes this.
  16. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Alt has a good bloodline. His father played OL at Iowa and was drafted in the first round by KC, plated 13 years and picked up two Pro Bowl selections and is in the Chiefs HOF.

Pepsiguy5 and barfolomew like this.
  17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

https://x.com/CWilliamsNFL/status/1732594134081257874?s=20

This would be a real monkey wrench into the top 5. I also could see Caleb Williams staying at USC and trying to get one more shot at a Heisman and championship if he doesn’t want to go to a specific team picking #1. His dad already said it’s an option.

This also might start happening more frequently.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  18. BrowningNagle

I wouldn't take that NIL shit if I were them. If I were their agent/family/confidant, I'd say don't do it.

A couple things:
    -they don't "rival" an NFL first round contract, they dont even come close. The NFL contract is a long term deal that sets them up for the next 4/5 years. the NIL offer is just $$ figures for 1 year
    -Lots of NIL promises being made and many times they are empty promises

the kid for Kentucky did it in basketball, but as a slower Center he likely didn't have as much of an NBA option. Marvin Harrison Jr. and Caleb Williams are surefire top 5 draft picks

19. GasedAndConfused

this^ the top one right now is 7mil I think and an injury could cost them millions. top 5 picks are getting 35m+ guaranteed plus the earlier you start your career, the earlier you get that second contract which for a top QB will be over 50m/yr and top WR will be over 30m/yr NIL aren't worth not going pro which is the whole end game for an athlete. but they are nice to pay the players since their names bring in money to the schools

20. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

ZERO chance this happens. NIL isn't long term security the way a #1 overall pick's guaranteed money is in the NFL. And even more importantly, it starts the clock on getting to his 2nd contract which by the time he gets it if he is good will be upwards of $60 million/yr.

Sorry, I quoted the wrong post...meant to quote Johnathan_Vilma's post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.