Boyle being relased, Rypien next tackling dummy up

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The_Darksider, Dec 5, 2023.

1. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Well this just brings back all the memories from the Paul Hackett days where the talk track was “his system is complex…it takes players a couple of years to really learn it” bullshit…I seem to remember a TON of draws to Curtis Martin on 3rd and long…of which we have many!

God fuck the Hackett coaches…I hated the hire then and I hate it more now

BrowningNagle likes this.
  2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

same has been said of cleveland and pitt (especially pitt) but both are in the playoff picture right now and have playoff spots at 7-5. same was said of the giants last year but they made the playoffs. there is always the "worst X-X" team to point out a team that sucks on the eye test but keeps winning.

While I agree from a fan point it looks unsustainable and usually it is, but sometimes teams defy any odds or logic.

3. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

No team defies the odds that the Jets were trying to defy. In a general sense, an overmatched team playing above their heads and winning, maybe. Getting extremely lucky by turnovers, or ridiculously stupid clock management by the opposing team? Not sustainable under any circumstances.

4. GasedAndConfused

the steelers have been doing it for years. giants did it last year but collapsed this year. the steelers have been outplayed in every game, their Offensive situation is almost as bad as ours is, yet they are 7-5 by keeping it close and creating timely turnovers at the end of games. the giants roster is pretty trash. they have barkley, a 3rd string QB, shit for WRs, a decent TE, and a shit o-line and still won more games then us in the last month.

it's a bad idea to do it or attempt it, but it is possible and likely saleh seen it as more possible then trying to score a lot and making mistakes.

5. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

We all knew Boyle wasn't the guy when we saw him in preseason.

When Rodgers went down we really needed to get a reliable QB to at least back up Zach if not to start in his place..

Brook!, Jets79, Ralebird and 6 others like this.
  6. The_Darksider

I know you will argue that it's subjective, but the Steelers always made things happen. The Jets had things happen for them. Again, that is not a sustainable model.

7. GasedAndConfused

sometimes luck plays a factor. balls take funny bounces. how many fumbles did we make happen this year that bounced in a shitty way, look how many pitt had bounce perfect for them. even as shitty as we are, we are a bounce or 2 away from an even record.

with that said the steelers are a much better coached team and have an overall lesser D but more primetime game changers on D due to watt who is arguably the best edge in the NFL currently and at worse top 3 (watt, nick bosa, garrett) our d-line is really good and deep but we don't have a player on that level

8. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Sorry... that's not in the playbook.

Pepsiguy5 and Savatage like this.
  9. The_Darksider

You hit it on the head, they are a much better coaches team. But beyond that, they are a far superior organization at every level. How they treat their players, how they evaluate their players, how they develop their players, hiring of coaches, everything.

So yes, sometimes pure blind luck plays a factor like it did with the Jets, or several times for the Jets over the years, but with the Steelers, and organizations like them – the Ravens, the Niners, the Packers. They seem to get a lot more luck and it's not on because they're lucky. It's because they are smart and put themselves in a position to take advantage of things when they happen.

#69 The_Darksider, Dec 5, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2023
  10. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

11. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Is Saleh telling Hackett not to move the chains too?

BrowningNagle likes this.
  12. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Can't say i'm all too excited... to be a Jet one must have an average arm, be shorter than 6'2" and have a propensity to throw 2 ints for every 1 td...

This is Tim Boyle +/- 10%.

The oline is a problem, why not sign an athlete:

Alex McGough
    Kellen Mond
    Chris Oladokun

Heck, these guys are all better options:
    Will Grier
    Jake Fromm
    Max Duggan
    Trace McSorley

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The Hacketts have always sucked. I cant believe they hired Nathaniel Hackett I was so pissed at that news last January. He sucks so much

14. GasedAndConfused

which is why we need to run our organization like they have.
    I'm not sold on saleh but I don't mind giving him more time but unless there is a much better proven option I don't see a point in firing saleh for another saleh. but If a guy like tomlin or ried was available i'd gladly give him the boot for that

15. The_Darksider

The problem is it's not easy to run an organization like that or everyone would do it. It requires proper scouting, proper diligence when hiring a management team, patience, and so much more. Woody is in his late 70s now, the ship sailed 25 years ago when he bought the team for any chance he had of being able to run an organization like that. He doesn't have enough time left to do it. Lol and that of course assumes he would even be able to in the first place.

16. GasedAndConfused

hackett is doing a good enough job of that by himself lol

17. GasedAndConfused

all he needs to do is hire 1 right person and let them work. Most owners do very little especially the ones with the better teams (outside of the cowboys) they just hire the right FO people and let them do their jobs

18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Nah there's always time. Leon Hess was like 90 or some shit when he finally paid for results* with Bill Parcells.

Woody just needs to hire someone who has done this before..... successfully of course

*no more excuses. Results matter

19. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

This is our season in a nutshell.

It was beyond obvious to everyone except JD and a small handful of posters here.
    And yet nothing was done, and here we are.

Jets79 and Ralebird like this.
  20. The_Darksider

You guys totally misinterpreted what I meant. I'm not talking about catching lightning in a bottle and hiring a good GM ala Parcells when he was here. I'm talking about sustained success at all levels and making it a solid, well run organization. That can't happen in a couple of years.

The Steelers, Ravens, Packers, with very rare exceptions and in some cases no exceptions at all, when was the last time these teams had a losing season? When was the last time they weren't able to just reload when players at certain positions left? When was the last time any of those teams were a dreadful organization? Even when they've had down years, they were solid down years where it came right back up.

Sure, we could do a Parcells type of thing and have 2–3 years of success, make a couple of runs, but unless that guy stays around, unless the scouting department is built, unless unless unless… It won't last. You can't judge something like that for a decade. Maybe Woody's here when he's 88, as much as we all dislike him he'll probably be here until he's 108.