Should the Jets draft a QB in the 1st round next year?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by REVISion, Dec 3, 2023.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

he doesn't

2. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

With Rodgers coming back and picking in the top 5 this is the perfect time to draft a QB sit him and let him learn from the best. Maybe a year or 2. As we know guys don't come in and crush it at that position in this town for whatever reason. The class this year seems likely to succeed. Lots of good options. JJ/Pennix/Bo

Jets79 likes this.
  3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

The problem is when the "professionals" who run the operation A) Make the wrong selection, B) Fail to prepare the draftee for the reality of the NFL and C) Throw the guy on the field when they want him there, ready or not. Darnold and Wilson are just the two most recent, and flagrant, examples. I give little to no credence regarding accuracy to "the draft community" - they have shown they don't deserve it - as you said "most QBs bust."

And franchise quarterbacks are not found, they are created over a longer term than most fans are willing to abide. Perhaps the next management team will be better prepared to make such judgements.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  4. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

1000000%

What are the Bengals without Burrow? What are we without Rogers? Hell, even Desmond Ritter was horrid yesterday.

Devate Adams and Marvin Harrison JR could be on this team and we'd still suck. No OL or Wr will mak eup for poor QB play.

Rogers is gone after next year and we need to address this because we still have a good roster.

5. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I mean, if they can get Drake Maye I don't think they should pass on him though I think they'll miss out on the top 2 QBs and seems there's a drop-off after that.
    Yeah I don't trust the Jets/this regime with a QB either and yet they need one. So they have to try some time some way.
    I think a top OT would be fantastic though. Not that I'd be mad about a top 10 WR, but this team will for sure need some OL help, especially at OT. Not a position to mess around with

My hope (short of Drake Maye) is to draft a top OT early and then a developmental QB in the 3rd or 4th along with another WR in the 3rd or 4th.
    And then sign a legit backup QB (and a solid vet WR)

6. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I'm not sure if I agree with the bolded in this day and age. Gone are the days of QBs needing to sit for a few years. Let's just look at the frontrunners for NFL MVP:

Hurts: Only started 4 games as a rookie but then threw for 3144 yards and ran for another 784 yards and accounted for 26 total TDs in his 2nd year.

Mahomes: Started 1 game as a rookie but then threw for 5000 yards and 50 TDs and won NFL MVP in his 2nd year.

Lamar: Started 7 games as a rookie, threw for 1200 yards, 6 TDs, and ran for 695 yards and 5 more TDs. Then threw for 3100 yards and 36 TDs, ran for 1200 yards and 7 TDs, and won NFL MVP in his 2nd year.

Dak: Threw for 3667 yards and 23 TDs as a rookie and has either put up similar stats or better stats every year (except 2 years where he got hurt and only played 5 games and 12 games respectively).

I'm sure there's more examples but I feel like over the last decade there's been a major shift in terms of starting/sitting rookie/young QBs. I don't know what to attribute this to but it seems like the good QBs are ready to hit the ground running in the NFL. They may not be elite in their first year, but usually by the 2nd/3rd year, they've reached their ceiling and you know whether they're gonna be "the guy" for you.

7. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I guess there's a much bigger question here - "exactly what is a franchise quarterback?" There are probably a dozen or more definitions being thrown around. For me, it's not his stats, it's about the whole franchise - hence the name. I'm not looking at quick individual accomplishments reflected in statistics, but more to a classical definition that he is a guy the team can not only be built around but he makes those around him better creating a lasting culture of winning. It takes more than a year or two to earn those stripes.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If this is true - and I doubt this is what influenced his decision to take Zach - then it's even more reason he isn't qualified to be a GM.

Ralebird likes this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

Unless you own the #1 pick, you're almost certainly not going to get a chance to draft "an amazing prospect", even in a QB rich draft (if there really is such a thing). The last two times that drafts were considered "loaded" with top QB prospects, only two QBs emerged as elite, and one of them - Allen - is looking more human this season.

And yes, there are the Mahomes', Lamars, and others who were taken later in the 1st round, even a few who were taken in later rounds, but consider:

1. None required using a top 5 pick.
    2. All were identified as the result of competent scouting and assessment, things the Jets haven't ever exhibited regarding offensive players in general, and QBs especially.

Yes, I understand that you need a top QB to win a VLT, which is why I was so much in favor of them drafting Zach instead of trading back for a boatload of assets, but I was wrong. Maybe if I was a fan of a team with an Andy Reid coaching them, that approach might have worked, but the reality is I'm a Jets fan, and I've been rudely awakened from my delusion that they know how to identify and develop QBs. Until proven otherwise - and I personally would not give Douglas & Co. any more chances to prove it - they should forget about using high picks on QBs and use them on the OL and receiver corps. Looking to sign a decent FA would be a much better approach for them.

10. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I see your point here.

My only rebuttal would be that I think if those individual statistics/accomplishments continue to happen over multiple seasons, you answer those questions. If I've got a guy that is consistently throwing for 3500+ and accounting for 25-30+ TDs every year, it's pretty obvious you've got a franchise QB.

Jets79, Ralebird and REVISion like this.
  11. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

Only if they fire everyone in the front office and this entire staff - I don't want this F/O running another draft especially if they are considering drafting a QB and I certainly don't want this clown show in charge of another free agency period by any means - but the owner will likely run it back as is - which is INSANE. But, ya know, SOJ.

12. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

It will be a tough decision for sure…we absolutely NEED an OT, we absolutely NEED a WR, and we most definitely NEED a QB to replace Rodgers in a year, maybe 2.

Not having a 2nd round pick hurts options for sure, but to me, if we’re in a position to take a good QB I don’t know how you pass that up…I get Rodgers would be miffed because he needs OL and WR, but letting a rookie QB sit behind him is not a bad play. Depends on how miffed Rodgers would be, but also it’s not impossible to improve this OL a bit even before the draft in free agency. I don’t know who’s available, and I get cap concerns, but somehow, most teams figure out a way to manage the cap with restructures here and there…it can be done.

I also see the comments on taking fliers on mid round QBs, but our record there is even worse than with first rounders…look at Clemens, Morgan, Petty, etc. To me, us taking a 3rd or 4th round QB is just throwing a pick away. And while Dak was a 4th, Brady was a 6th, and Purdy was Mr. Irrelevant, there aren’t a whole lot of examples of that outside of a few.

I don’t know, we’re in a tough spot regardless…this offense is SO bad and we don’t have a 2nd round pick, so trading out of our first rounder if there is a QB there would also make sense.

Here’s what I don’t think will happen though…I think JD is smart enough to know he has to fix OL…I don’t think there is any way in hell he uses that first round pick on defense. It would truly shock me. I think he uses it on OL or WR, whichever is better…if Harrison is there when we pick, I think it’d be hard for him to pass that up…same if one of the top couple OTs are there. It’s not like he’s ignored OL like Mac did…he’s drafted several…AVT and Tippman look very good, Becton hasn’t been able to stay healthy so that’s a bad outcome, as well as AVT getting hurt because we keep playing him out of position…but I think JD knows enough to see he needs an OL.

But still 5 games to go…lots can happen between now and then…I would not be shocked to see Woody clean house if we lose out like this…can you imagine going the rest of the way and not scoring any TD’s? That would be a shit show…

13. ColoradoContrails

Yes.

14. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

no. we just need to load up on offense around rodgers. draft/sign o-line and WR

15. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

Anytime there have been two consensus top quarterback picks, one of them is usually a spectacular failure while the other one generally succeeds. Do you have any confidence whatsoever in the Jets being able to develop their guy? I don't.

16. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Our FO has stood on the podium saying we have a championship caliber team that was only missing a QB. Repeatedly. To jeopardize our future further by using our draft picks to somehow supplement the immediate needs of our “championship ready” roster would be extremely disingenuous and solidify another 5 years of awfulness on top of over a decade already. It’s stupid. The formula for sustained success in the NFL is to draft a quality level top 10 QB. They have to hit one. There’s no other way.

17. The_Darksider

This is the only way I'm good with drafting a quarterback. Clean house, start from scratch, then the fact that they already committed to going for it doesn't matter.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  18. The_Darksider

Anybody in a position to make a decision has already seen what they need to see. The last five games whether they are 0–5 or 2–3 should have no bearing. You're either committed to this and you follow it through, or everybody goes because they botched the entire year.

The Jets rarely fire anyone in season, so I'd like to think that the decision has been made and we'll know after the season ends. But liking to think and it actually being done are completely different things.

19. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Nope, but I'm going to assume if we lose 10 in a row to end 2023 there is no chance this regime is making that pick.

20. The_Darksider

We got him for a conditional first rounder, after another year on his body and's a season ending injury, we'd be lucky to get anything for him at all.

REVISion likes this.