The Return of the Rodgers..

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Nov 26, 2023.

1. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

Oh I got a laundry list of push back posts floating around elsewhere and since day 1 of that "WTF just happened?" Hackett hire. Not that you probably care or will take the time to read it, but here is just one sample dated April 26 fresh off the Rodgers trade and before the draft FWIW:

https://www.sonsofsamhorn.net/index...treat-my-old-friend.39001/page-7#post-5515288

Underappreciated? In pretty much every single one of mainstream media influencer case I've seen, and within the thousands of hours of air time that has been dedicated to covering it this offseason, it's simply being flat out ignored in the process of pushing the much more desired buzz narrative. Same goes for that accompanying acknowledgement on a decline year Aaron Rodgers' inability to take a somewhat equivalent top-to-bottom talent level team to the playoffs last year coming out of a cupcake division. Or any deep dive trip into the Jets' 2022 season game tape that might otherwise suggest the 1-7 record down the stretch (with a lot more team sport failure points going on then simply bad QB play) was probably the much better sample size evaluation indicator at where this team truly is at this point in time then that early 6-3 run. Which other then Josh Allen having his worst game of the season consisted of wins over Jacoby Brissett, Mitch Trubisky, Skylar Thompson, broken by our new OC Russell Wilson, and decline year Aaron Rodgers himself.

As a going on 40 year Jets fan last offseason was supposed to be the great turning point coming off that draft. My John Henry bought the team and things are finally changing for the better moment. The tangible beginnings of a 49ers East team build model that wasn't going to be end up ride or dying on Zach Wilson panning out. Was i disappointed at seasons end that we ended up missing the playoffs? Sure, but at the same time there was most certainly an encouraging step forward being made in that which shined unique promise on the future with some keep grinding away tweaks. Tweaks more in line with what I'd expect out of a well run franchise with an approach grounded in it's surrounding reality, and not in some black hole of despair driven desire to desperately chase after their 15 minutes of rationally projected relevancy.

Instead I get an ocean of Koolaid pushed at me this winter in the follow up. I get what arguably amounts to the worst high profile player-in-decline personality fits in NY sports media history at QB in anything outside an extreme best case scenario outcome. I get the rough equivalent of the Bobby Valentine hire at OC, and now spear heading the attempt to fix our offense fresh off his tenure in Denver being one of the most historically bad showings in of such in NFL history. I get a GM that literally makes it an baffling point to release public comments in the media undermining any chance we might have had to negotiate a better case scenario for ourselves on the Rodgers' compensation front. Then as a kicker I get a market high overpay on a WR we really had no pressing need for and who I'm pretty sure I don't recall being mentioned once in your guy's potential WR option thread here.

I mean I get it from a strictly what makes 2023 more fun to watch as a fan pov. But beyond that and this Superbowl contender pipedream? Failing to properly read the room (the AFC is looking stacked) and jumping the gun here by surrendering high value building block assets to make a 1 year chase at what more realistic then anything else ends up being a 3rd place finish in the division might be the most Jets Being the Jets move ever imo. The reality cost of which starts tomorrow when we likely end up missing out on the foundation building OT we ideally would of rather wanted before settling on somebody else, and who is going to be around long after Rodgers retires or wants out after this year.

mezzavo likes this.
  2. Kronoking

You would know. You are arguably topping that list here atm/imo :)

But sure. Let's just go with a claim that nobody who was capable of processing what might of been the most easy game of connect the dots game in sports history was chalking Rodgers-to-the-Jets up as an inevitability from the moment that hiring happened. It's the twisted up technicality aspects that matter there! Not the common sense.

3. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

No I am not. I am sticking to the facts. You are connecting the dots that are not there and only in your mind. What's even more - you yourself brought up the fact that Rodgers was nearly retired. Yet when it fits your narrative, you connected the dots in such way that nearly retired Rodgers, whom we could not even talk to much less know he is coming, brought Hack and not the other way. Facts be damned.

4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

It's good to get him back out there, if only for the last 3 games of a wasted season. I get he may get hurt (again), but same argument for Garrett, Sauce, et al getting injured. And those cats are playing, so throw 8 out there too.

If he plays poorly, well, there's a lot of rust. Didn't have time to shake it off.

If he plays well, he'll throw gas on the flames of hope for next season. Being a fan is all about hope.

5. Kronoking

If 'sticking to facts" is how you want to see it, and best helps you avoid any narrative bubble bursts, i have no illusions at this point I can say anything to change that.

But that said I never stated that I thought there was even a slight chance Rodgers was ever going to retire. What I said was "1 foot into retirement", and which again was in reference to any projected career production arc of a guy turning 40 and coming off a decline year. Granted some of the things he was saying prior to going into his darkness room weren't exactly giving me the same warm fuzzies i might of got out of Tom Brady at that age saying things like "Retirement? What do you mean after football? There is no after football", but I still saw that as yet another red flag to throw on the pile in terms of questioning whether it was actually the love of the game that was ultimately going to be the driving force behind his decision to keep playing.

I think it's a pretty fair assumption imo given Rodgers'off-field need to seek attention (that has only grown as he's aged) that he has essentially been waiting his entire career to finally get out from under Tom Brady's shadow and claim that top story spot at the center of the NFL universe. No chance he was walking away from that, or allowing some "GB was fed up with a declining player's baggage and was looking to turn the page" narrative to dominate his own swan song story (to the point the guy even gave up $35m to avoid that and make a jump to one of worst run and least desirable landing spots in professional sports).

Heck if you really want me to lay it down there I'm not even sold he'll willingly walk away and leave it at that after next year's incoming disaster plays itself out either. Even if/when getting himself out of town and finding some other team out there willing to cling to the same equally shallowly "it was all his team's fault he looked declined!" will most certainly require that Rodgers check a lot of his bs baggage at the door this time around. Not even Arthur Blank in all his desperation is signing off on the amount of empowered nonsense Woody did this year.

6. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I get that you don't like Rodgers for some reason (COVID Toe?) but the narrative you are paining is pretty out there that you even portray him taking 35 mil pay cut as a selfish move. But yes, there are facts you are evading like a plague, such as Hack coming here was before JD could even talk to Rodgers, who had "1 foot intro retirement", much less secure his commitment. Denver hired Hack last year, and Rodgers didn't follow. As sad as it is, JD and Saleh hired Hack because they thought he was a good OC, with some outside chance of helping increase probability of Rodgers. If you think it was so obvious to them Hack sucked, you are giving them too much credit. Much like signing Lazard/not matching OBJ: facts suggest JD does have free will after all.

The long and short of it that you place the blame on the guy you don't like, and then ignore the facts and evidence presented without being able to evolve in light of of these. You refer to something as common sense, which is not very common at all. To give you an analogy, say a dentist called you and moved the appointment by 30 mins, you got delayed at home and then get into a car accident with drunk driver, you blame the dentist, because had dentist not called you would not have encountered the drunk driver. All I can say is, evolve based on facts, don't ignore them and then spin as hard as you can to invalidate them.

7. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

I nominate Kronoking as the board's wordiest member.

Cman68 likes this.
  8. Kronoking

In all fairness a lot of that is me just having to keep repeating debate points that go purposely unchallenged, then ignored as if i never said them in a follow up reply, and finally asked for again as people keep trying their best to circle away from a lot of otherwise damning things they'd rather not acknowledge.

I was basically tapping out on that last post though. Other then Rodgers falling upwards into what ironically turned out to be the real best case scenario for his attention tour, I'm basically batting 1.000 so far in my complaints and predictions since the team decided to pull the plug on the rebuild and go get dumb drunk on at the koolaid fountain. At this point I'm more curious how many of those posts calling me out as being delusional will still exist a year from now when the need for revisionist history hits, and if/when I get the itch latter to point out some "THIS is what you were actually cheering on at the time" examples. Like you can do with that Hackett hiring now :)

Ralebird and The_Darksider like this.
  9. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

I've been there. I'm pretty wordy myself so I get it.

10. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Second verse, same as the first! Yip! A complete mulligan!

11. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Really? Do have next week's lottery numbers? I could see your point if our QB was Mahomes, Roger Staubach, or Michael Vick. But Rodgers is a stiff and until the Jets address the offensive line there will be no QB that could survive behind them. They are awful.

12. boozer32

Perfectly laid out. The only thing that might work is drafting a QB every year until you find one. Be it 5th round or even free agency. Bring a new one into camp and see what happens.

ouchy likes this.
  13. boozer32

I liked everything except the teardown. The Jets have done 2 dozen of those. Enough of that hire some better scouts and make sure whoever the next coach needs to have a clue, Unlike Saleh who is a major part of the Jet's problems. Sick of his dumb looks on the sideline and the team looking lost every week.

14. boozer32

Is he gonna pick up the blitz? Rodgers ain't making anything better on the Jets. The guy wasn't the most athletic when he was young. The Jets need a QB that can run for their life because the offensive line is trash. The pocket passing QB ain't working with this team as it is currently configured. Rodgers to be successful here needs a strong running game. We aren't there. So the WR are being pressed more because Zach, Boyle, and Siemian have nanoseconds to throw. Breece has no holes so it's easy to key on him because nobody else can hurt the defense. Defenses can just tee off and head for the QB or stack everyone in the running lanes. Conklin is no threat and neither is Ruckert.

BrowningNagle and Cman68 like this.
  15. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

One? Why not two? And the last Saturday night in April the Jets need to sign at least three undrafted free agent QBs.

16. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

this is non sense. If Rodgers was under center. They would not be loading 8-9 players in the box. If they did, he would see there is 8-9 players in the box and then find the player that is 1-1 or open post snap. If you think hes played behind pro bowlers the past 5 years you dont know what your talking about

KY Jets Fan and stinkyB like this.
  17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

40-41 year old Rodgers ain’t gonna be a savior, people gotta give that up

Ralebird likes this.
  18. nevbeats319

yea, drafting the 3rd or 4th ranked rookie QB this year and let him learn with a win now defense will save them

19. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Maybe with luck the Jets find their CJ Stroud. Next year if healthy Rodgers is the starter obviously but the Jets do need to address their issues at QB long-term. This draft class for QB's this year is a supposedly a strong one.

Ralebird likes this.
  20. nevbeats319

So you want to use the biggest asset to help them win in a ALL IN YEAR with A-Rod - on a QB that can't help them in 2024. They don't have a 2nd either.

As far as " this is a great QB class" - this is used every year around this time. 2 or 3 will be picked in the top ten and only 1 will pan out. Outside of Drake Maye and Caleb Williams, none of the guys are ranked like CJ Stroud was coming out.