Should the Jets draft a QB in the 1st round next year?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by REVISion, Dec 3, 2023.

1. teamgreen

teamgreen Well-Known Member

Nope. They should draft an edge rusher that can play 10% of the snaps and get a half sack, THen, they'll have d-line depth to groom for 3 years for when JJ's rookie contract is up.
    oh wait....

blackssmagic, mezzavo, jixxjr and 5 others like this.
  2. kevda5n9ne

kevda5n9ne Well-Known Member

We just drafted Willie McDonald IV, drafted Jermaine Johnson II last year, we already have Q and JFM locked up, and we should pay/franchise Huff. So there's only one possible thing the Jets can do in the 1st Round of next year's draft... select a D-Lineman. Anyone who's "The Third" in their family line would fit the bill.

3. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

Wrong thread, take it to Off-Topic bud

4. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Yes. You clowns think Davante Adams would make a difference with Desmond Ritter or Tim Boyle throwing them the ball? Hi get Jayden Daniel’s.

egbert souse likes this.
  5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

See, here is the problem: JD also proved incompetent in drafting QBs as well. Zach was #2 overall pick, and after 3 years it is not even clear if he can be a back-up, like Sam. Morgan was drafted in the 4th round, and you would not expect him to be NFL starter, but a 4th round NFL pick should be better than 3d stringer on Pittsburgh Maulers: https://www.rotowire.com/usfl/usfl-depth-charts/pittsburgh-maulers-depth-chart-pit Small sample size, but both times JD picked a QB wh turned out significantly worse than their draft position would indicate.

At the OLine and WR, he at least had some decent hits, like Tipp, AVT, GW. Still he missed more than he hit. Which brings me to the point that he should not be making this selection, whether it is a QB or OL. And Hack cannot be a play caller - for Rodgers or otherwise. To me, it is critical we get rid of these guys. And if the new GM evaluates the QBs (I haven't yet done that) and determines say Daniels is a great prospect, then go for it. He can develop under Rodgers for a year or two. However, I am just not sure if there will be a prospect like that after top two are gone, so likely I would go for the Oline. But I do not want JD to be the one doing this.

6. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

You beat me to it. I was going to start a thread asking this question.

Should the Jets draft a quarterback with their high draft pick?

I say NFW - no fucking way. You can't do a 180 from the direction that was taken in the off-season. The Jets do not have a second round pick, which means if you take a quarterback who is obviously not going to play, nor should he, you are looking at the third round as your first opportunity to get help for the team that you forced into the position of going all in to try and win. Add to this the fact that there is very little cap space. They can only create so much by cutting players.

Couple that with the fact that you don't have anybody there who can choose the right quarterback, or develop any quarterback, and the clear answer is no. You draft an offensive lineman, or top receiver, give your quarterback some help, and go for it. Or you trade back to accumulate even more picks. If the Jets are in the top 5–6 which it looks like they certainly will be, someone will pay them for a quarterback. They can stay in the first round and get a couple of other picks.

You push all your chips into the middle of the table and do everything you can to win in 2024 because whichever direction you take, you're in a rebuild after that.

If you want to take a quarterback in the mid to late rounds, hope you strike lightning in a bottle and let him sit and learn, then I'm ok with that. Cool with me.

But no way in hell you do it with the first round pick.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

I had a similar view, but at this point I've lost all confidence in the team. I believe that there will be too many holes next year for the Jets to make the playoffs. I also think that Rodgers is a prime candidate to get hurt again, given his age and the incompetence of the Jets line.

Let's face it, without a true franchise quarterback, no team can begin to compete for a championship. I think Rodgers can still play, but he's on a bad team. I think we will be without a franchise quarterback in 2025, so let's get the quarterback solution started in the 2024 draft, when there are a number of promising first round quality quarterbacks. We will be in worse shape to get a franchise quarterback in the 2025 draft if Rodgers piles up a few meaningless wins next year.

So I say, if there is a can't miss quarterback there at pick 6 to 8, draft him and have him sit for a year behind Rodgers. Go for a tackle with the 3rd round pick, and then look frantically for late round sleepers at WR.

8. CTJet22

CTJet22 Active Member

There is no such thing as a can’t miss QB. That said if you don’t have one you have to keep trying. Especially if you are at the top of the draft.

joelip likes this.
  9. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I agree that the best scenario is getting rid of JD, but I think JD will be here for the next draft whether we like it or not. I also think he fell victim to the Wilson hype like many of us did. A lot of people were fooled by Wilson, it was considered the right pick at the time. Maybe JD learns from the mistakes he made drafting Wilson and takes those learnings into picking a new QB.

10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Maybe - but again top two QBs will be gone. I just don't trust JD anymore. First clear and obvioud sign that the guy is slipping was agreeing to that pick swap with 3 days still to go before the draft, and it went downhill from there. He just kept making one incompetent decision after another. It's like a driver who fell asleep at the wheel. I know sometimes this job burns people out in short order. Maybe that's what happened to JD. But ... without evaluating actual prospects it's hard to say what they should do. I would keep QB under consideration if it really looks like an amazing prospect, but would probably lean OL otherwise. I just hope it will be someone else and not JD deciding, I think it will give us a better probability of success.

11. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

In JD’s defense, the 3 qb’s drafted after Zach haven’t exactly lit the league on fire either. The only one that worked out that draft was Lawrence and we had no shot at him that year thanks to Gase

Jets79 and Red Menace like this.
  12. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

Yes, this plan went swimmingly the last time his team tried it…

13. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Missing out on Lawrence is on Douglas, not Gase. Gase knew he wasn't coming back, so he wasn't going to tank for a QB he wouldn't get to play. Douglas was the one who was going to still be around, and so he could have easily fired Gase and Williams after the Raiders game, promoted Boyer to interim head coach, and told Boyer to play Falk at QB the rest of the way on the condition that Boyer would be back the next year. But he didn't do that because either he's too dumb to consider the possibility, or he thought Zach was as good as Lawrence. Either one is damning.

REVISion likes this.
  14. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Makes me wonder: if the Jets never wasted these first round picks on QB’s they can’t develop and just relied on free agency to bring in tier 2 guys, would they be more successful? The answer is probably yes. Over the last decade they’d have probably maintained the OL better giving the Minshew types more than enough to work with to put points on the board.

Or they would have doubled down on defensive lineman. First 16 man rotation in NFL history.

stinkyB and abyzmul like this.
  15. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Nope this franchise is inept in developing a QB and the fans have ZERO patience to want to develop one. Likely would be vilified the second he messes up like the others have. So I’d rather Ryan Tannehill and Gardner Minshew for the rest of eternity

16. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

A good infrastructure? Saleh, Hackett and Calabrese? In the immortal words of John McEnroe "You cannot be serious!"

teamgreen likes this.
  17. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I'd prefer to throw good money after bad than be on the bus that's doing 80 downhill with no one in the driver's seat and no one responsible for filling the seat. You won't get far leaving it empty.

egbert souse likes this.
  18. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I've been pretty anti QB in R1, but I didn't think we would have a realistic shot at a top 3 pick (especially if new england beats pitt on thursday night). If they can get 1 of the top 2, I'm in. It also means this team finished the season on a 10 game losing streak. There is no way the regime survives that.

19. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

QB is the most important player in any sport. What’s insane is to pass on one when you’re picking in the top 10 and instead putt all your eggs in the basket of a 40/41 year old coming off a torn Achilles and the worst season in his recent history, because he might play at some unknown level for one more year.

20. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

This is supposed to be a strong draft class for QB's. If the Jets are positioned to get one, then they have to do it. I realize they need OL help badly. I realize they need another WR to go opposite with G. Wilson. They struck out twice with the Darnold and Wilson picks, but they still need a QB for the future. Rodgers isn't a long-term answer. What is the plan for next year if he gets hurt again. More importantly what is the long-term plan. With Tua and Allen in the division how will we compete with the Dolphins and Bills.

Ralebird likes this.