Fire Joe Douglas 2023-24 Edition

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HomeoftheJets, Nov 19, 2023.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I didn't blame gase for the draft. i just broke it down into "phases" of JDs tenure

Phase 1. Hired in 2019 after the draft and FA with a coach who recommended him in his 1st year. Couldn't do anything really to the roster and has a new coach and new scheme to build for but at this point isn't able to do anything to improve the team. inherited a failing top pick QB going into year 2
    Phase 2 2020 comes along. he has gase being given 1 more year but most knew he was a lame duck at this point. darnold is going into year 3 as a make or break year for him. starts building up a roster for gase. to do so starts tradiung players for assets (most notably jamaal adams) and cap room to build for his coach. team was devoid of talent and cap room due to bad contracts in FA (trumaine and bell mostly) and bad drafting. also was the covid year his 1st draft. no combine, not much face to face time with players. mosley sat out which made us lose more talent on the year and pretty much extended his contract by a year pushing everything back. after the season gase was fired so time for a new regime and new turnover
    Phase 3 2021-2023 this is where I feel like his tenure really got to begin. he gets to pick his head coach, jettison the QB and pick his own and starts have cap room form earlier cuts and some extra resources from trades. roster is still bad though and needs to overhaul the D due to new scheme.

2. GasedAndConfused

I have but it's dollars not wins. lots of companies took big hits due to covid on the books but owners were understandable due to the conditions out of people's control. thats why woody is understanding the situation and will give another chance. fans don't have to but thats why fans would make bad owners. too emotional and not logical. nobody is forcing you to be a fan either. fans are basically customers. if customers go away then ownership will make changes. it's the whole "vote with your wallet" of course fans won't give up their team because emotional attachment. it's a poor cycle because the same thing that refuses to let you quit the team, is the same thing that drives you crazy about the team.

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

uhhh what?

Woody is understanding that the Jets lose every year cause of Covid?

you try to think too much. Stick to "studs and duds" :D

4. GasedAndConfused

woody is understanding that we lost rodgers and most of the o-line this year so we get a "do-over" it's sad you can't grasp a simple analogy though. sorry for having to "mansplain" it to you

5. BrowningNagle

you gotta give the mansplain thing up. I never said it anyway, Vilma was just busting your balls for repeating things everyone already knows

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  6. GasedAndConfused

well you shoulda known the analogy above so not sure what to tell you there

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

And they’re usually not given four+ years to fix their massive profit losses if we’re trying to equate winning and losing games with the business analogy.

But that’s also why running a pro sports team in terms of on the field or court is nothing like running a business or managing a team in any other profession.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  8. BrowningNagle

I agree and you know its annoying as hell when that Colin Cowherd tries to make the same wacky analogy stuff on his terrible radio show.

Its a game we are talking about here, its not life or business, in those environments "winning" is more nuanced. Maybe you came in under target but still made a big profit, ok thats a win. In sports they have a clear score and they declare a clear winner so its a lot simpler. 24-53 is losing, a lot

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The Jets had a 10 year waiting period for season tickets when Woody Johnson bought the team. Great businessman!

10. GasedAndConfused

people like woody only look at dollars. he brought them for 625m back in 2000. I found 2021 values form forbes and they are worth 5.4B now. he's made 4.8B in assets in 21 years and increased the value by 9 times. were the 7th most valued franchise. I'm sure he sees that as a win from an ownership standpoint. The reality is though an NFL team is a "no fail" business and you don't need to do anything but own one to make a ton of money off of. Thats why the owners love goddall.

Acad23 likes this.
  11. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

The problem with that is the point of pro sports is to win the games, not the Forbes list.

Jets69, JetDan and abyzmul like this.
  12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Say what you want about Stephen Ross (who is definitely a gigantic putz) but the guy has proven that he will do whatever it takes to field a winning football team. Get fined, lose picks, get banned from the team, he doesn't give a fuck. He wants to win.

The Dolphins are an actual destination team now. Not that pretend bullshit we heard from the Jets this offseason.

Acad23, REVISion and BrowningNagle like this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

from a team and fan point yes. from an owners point it's about money and prestige. only 32 NFL franchises exist in the world. it's an exclusive club and that is the prestige. They print money with 0 chance at failure or loss in revenue.

14. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

And it took a miracle for the jets to win the Giants game.

Borat and BrowningNagle like this.
  15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I was thinking about this - and then took a closer look at JD. Basically JD had lower level scout job in Baltimore for 14 years (if you recall Baltimore was all about the defense) until he got to the Bears in 2015, where he was the director of college scouting for 1 year. Then in 2016 he joined the Eagles as a VP of player personnel and was doing this for 3 years, joining the Jets in 2019. This explains why there is such a stark contrast between JD and Howie Roseman. They only worked together for 3 years. I initially assumed JD was Howie's disciple, a mentee, but that's not really the case - at least not for long. This also explains why he hired a defensive coach, why the defense is good but offense not so much. This all comes from Baltimore roots, not Howie.

Howie btw has spent his entire career with Philly, and I am really impressed with his work. Then I started wondering, is there an actual younger disciple that Roseman has? I came across Alec Halaby. Alec started with Philly as an intern in 2007, became player personnel analyst in 2010, special assistant to Roseman in 2012, VP of Football Operation and Strategy 2016, Assistant GM (top position behind Howie) 2022. "He has focused on player evaluation, roster management and resource allocation, with a particular emphasis on integrating traditional and analytical methods in football decision-making." https://theorg.com/org/philadelphia-eagles/org-chart/alec-halaby . Next year will be 17 years with Howie, including being his direct special assistant/VP/assistant for 12 of them. That's the definition of the mentee, and appears to be a modern thinker as well focusing on analytics and personnel evaluation.

This is the exact freaking guy we need. Howie promoted him to assistant GM, even though he has another one already, so that other GMs don't poach him as their assistant. If I were Woody, at the end of the year JD and Saleh are gone (baring miracle turnaround) and I am throwing everything at Alec. Now would he come here? I am not sure how many GM openings there are, but I believe he will occupy one of them in 2024. But, I do think having Rodgers and a good defense with the opportunity to start on a winning note if he can address OLine and WR instead of full rebuild is an attractive one. To give JD some credit, he actually built some things well, just not good enough. That may be enough of a platform to entice a superior GM, like hopefully Alec will be here, to finish the job.

#295 Borat, Dec 2, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2023
  16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Agreed, he'd be a great candidate. Of course that begs the question - as we both posed: would he want to come to this perpetual bog of failure?

Jets79 likes this.
  17. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

As I said in the last paragraph, I don't think things are as terrible as in other organization where a GM is going to be fired. In fact, we are even debating whether to fire JD at all since he wasn't completely awful, though I am convinced that baring a miracle turnaround we should. Panthers' QB looks a lot like Zach did, they are the worst team in the NFL and don't even have their 1st round pick to show for it. Raiders also don't have a QB and overall I don't think they are as good as us. Also, Alec is East Coast guy - much lesser move to come from Philly. As much as some people want to berate Rodgers, he is still a very good QB, who is motivated to win at all costs. It's about his legacy.

Alec must realize that he comes here, there is a good defense already in place. QB is there, though short term, but winning to start his GM career is not a terrible proposition. We will not have a 2nd round pick, but he will have top 10 pick, maybe even top 5, 3d, and two 4ths. He can build the line with these assets, get a solid #2 WR, and win right away. This is a very valuable proposition for a 1st year GM. I think Jets opening will be very attractive. Not a guarantee of course, but we should have a decent probability of landing our top GM choice.

18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree...on paper. But you can't ignore the weight of Jets history and how it has destroyed promising careers, from GM down to players. Again, I out that on ownership between Hess and Johnson. If I were an attractive candidate like Alec, I'd demand that Woody put in writing that he stay out of all decisions and actions except for signing his name on checks.

19. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I think that's what Woody is doing now. He has 3d highest actual money spent this year. I know people shit on Woody a lot, and ultimately it's on him for not picking the right GM and HC, but I don't really think he stops a GM from doing what needs to be done. They key is to get a very good GM I think, which Woody is yet to hire one.

20. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

This is the exact kind of move a smart, aggressive, winning franchise makes. Sounds like a top candidate with a great background. Would love the Jets to be proactive and make it happen. Unfortunately he'll probably be gone by the time the current regime gets canned.