The Rodgers's Gambit... High stakes gamble

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Nov 28, 2023.

1. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I certainly do. I think it happened soon after October 16th, 2022 when the Jets knocked the Packers down to 3-3-- A game that demonstrated that Rodgers could still play but he had no playmakers and no defense, and, conversely, that the Jets looked like they had everything except a QB (Wilson was 10/18 for 110, 0TD, 0INT).

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Perhaps you are right.. Woody is just that naieve.

SOJAZ and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Maybe it was Rodgers who *wink wink* approached the Jets.

TwoHeadedMonster and Cman68 like this.
  4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Now there's a thought to ponder..

5. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Trading that much for him is such a bad idea that you just know the Jets are going to do it.

dawinner127 and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

You are certainly entitled to your opinion of Carr today and in your forecast, but he has been a serviceable quarterback this season - something the Jets cannot say for any quarterback they have the rights to. I did not bring Carr into the conversation, I simply responded to another poster who did. Your projections for Carr's future are no better than your past projections for the future of the Jets - pure guesswork.

But this thread is about the "Rodgers Gambit" - how's that working out?

7. Ralebird

Don't tell anyone what can be compared or not when you're the one who first made that comparison. Fact: Carr has done more for the Saints this year than Rodgers has done for the Jets.

I responded partially because you said Carr and Rodgers cost the same - that is totally incorrect, and that is just about the cash and the cap - do you choose to simply ignore the value of lost draft picks incurred by trading for Rodgers? Do you want to even talk about the Aaron Rodgers/Wile E Coyote tunnel the Jets train has slammed into at top speed or will you tell us the Rodgers/Wilson track to the Super Bowl is still clear?

8. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

thats such a dumb argument. matt casell did more for the pats in 2006 then brady did lol. it doesn't mean anything other then 1 of them got hurt

9. Ralebird

Matt Cassel and Tom Brady have absolutely nothing to do with this. If you want to talk about a "dumb argument" why not support your repeated claim that Rodgers and Carr cost the same amount? Then you can move on to how much Rodgers has helped the Jets this season.

JohnnyJet and BrowningNagle like this.
  10. GasedAndConfused

they do. they both make 37.5m/year
    you can't compare a healthy players production to an injured players production

11. Ralebird

Carr makes an even 30 million. Carr's cash and cap hit are smaller than AR's. Carr cost nothing in lost draft picks, but you keep on keeping on. Why would you even introduce Carr to the discussion if you need to create your own bogus fact base to do so?

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

And a pile of backloaded cash for a recently injured and recently released David Bakhtiari.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

what? this is pretty factual stuff here so IDK why you are arguing it. it's just numbers. pay goes by average per year. both are at 37.5. Rodgers got 3years/112.5m carr got 4years/150m it's the same average.
    even if you go by "this year only" which is decided by the cap hit carr is costing 7.2 and rodgers 8.8. next year carr is 35.7 and rodgers is 17.1.
    I brought in carr to talk about our QB options prior to the draft and prior to the trade of rodgers. carr was one of the ones that was possible for the jets to get in the offseason and really was the best option outside of rodgers but he hasn't been his normal self this season.

14. Ralebird

Of course I'm talking about this year and of course you don't want to because the only thing that is sure is this year. Forget the averages - all that can change at any time by somebody restructuring. At least be honest enough to acknowledge the value of draft capital that went to Green Bay and will never be replaced. And congratulations for finally admitting you started talking about Carr when the topic was Rodgers.

15. GasedAndConfused

you be honest dude. you said carr was a "flat 30" and he isn't. also averages don't change on restructers. the average stays the same unless a paycut or raise is given. restructure just changes what money hits the cap in what years. It doesn't change the average of the total deal. now you are going to change it all again. you are impossible

16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Acknowledge the draft picks dummy

Ralebird likes this.
  17. BrowningNagle

I wonder how serious they even were about signing Carr

18. Ralebird

Carr's total cash this year is $30 million. His cap hit is $7.2 million. Perhaps I should have called anything in the future a renegotiation rather than a restructure. It happens all the time and therefore any averages you look at in the future don't mean a thing today - but you know that, you just don't care to be accurate.

#58 Ralebird, Nov 29, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2023
  19. BrowningNagle

we shoulda known at the time that if we could beat Aaron Rodgers with a whopping 10 completions all day that he might be declining

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

No, he had Lazard as a #1 WR, struggling day 2 rookies behind him, Cobb, and no line. Imagine that. It's like our offense but without GW. They did much better when day 2 WRs they drafted got up to speed a little bit. Now that we know who Lazard is, having him as a #1 WR is insane. I mean that is brutal. If we just had a line, I think Rodgers could have made it work. He still can, but probably in 2024.