Has anyone seen this guy Jemarcus Russell Play??

Discussion in 'Draft' started by tanknyc, Jan 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

I seen recently that the raiders are now considering taking him with the number one pick. if so he's gonna bring a big change in Oakland. he throws 80 yard bombs standing throws 60 yards from his knees and sitting down throws 40yards he's 6'6" 250+. they compare him to doug williams of the redskins or bryon leftwich of the jags(he hates this comparison) i think of him more like a peyton manning but much more powerful let me know what yall think

'

#1 tanknyc, Jan 16, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2007
  2. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I have, I'll be curious to see how he does in the pros. Comparable to Vince Young, best-case scenario.

Definitely a good chance for NFL All-Name in 2007. :up:

3. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

I would be surprised if the Raiders took a quarterback number one.

If they took Russell, I don't think it would help them all that much.
    Per a friend of mine with access to that locker room, that team is an absolute mess, and that organization is rotten from the top down. I wouldn't be surprised if any of the top quarterbacks rejects them.

-X-

4. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

I don't think he's the caliber of athlete that Young is. Young made most of his plays with his legs this year, and was able to keep his team in games without being a quality passer. He did not really progress as a passer as the year went on.

Russell is big and physical, but he's not going to be the threat to run that Young or McNabb was when they initially came out. He has a cannon arm, but he's going to have to adjust to making reads at the next level, and that takes time.

-X-

5. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

You mean a cannon arm isn't a punched ticket to "the next level"? Interesting.

6. ATL-JET

ATL-JET Active Member

All I'll say is BROWNING NAGLE ... dude had a CANNON arm and was one of the WORST QB's in JETS History.

Another is RYAN LEAF. Big arm does NOT mean big success.

7. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

I really don't think he'd be a better pro than brady quinn

8. Coach K

Coach K New Member

Jamarcus Russell is gonna be garbage for about 2 or 3 yrs. I think he definitely needed 1 more year of college. right now hes just a huge body with minor mobility(nothing special) and a cannon.

For all the talk of Jamarcus Russell the best player on that team is LaRon Landry. who will be a premier safety probably his rookie yr.

hes pretty inaccurate and will take serious time to develop. People see him chucking bombs with ease and act as if he'll just jump right in and do it on the next level cuz of his physical stature.

he has amazing physical tools but this is one player who really needed another year of coaching before going to the pro's

#8 Coach K, Jan 16, 2007
  9. JetRhodes84

JetRhodes84 New Member

He will be a better pro than Brady Quinn, just not right away.

10. Crowder52

Crowder52 New Member

He's a Dante Culpepper clone. He's got a rocket for an arm but makes the worst descisions in the world and he's a fumbler. Oakland is probably going to take him because of the hype factor and if the team him up with Moss he will be a monster.

11. PRPitbull

PRPitbull Active Member

where the hell do you get the Peyton Manning comparison from?

12. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

I heard he is a beast. Any videos of him actually throwing from his knees and sitting?

13. Welcome to J-Ville

Welcome to J-Ville New Member

I'm pretty interested also.. i wanna see a video. Couldnt find anything on youtube.

14. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

he has a great arm but poor mechanics and footwork, too often relying on his arm strength and throwing off his back foot instead of stepping into the throw. he crumbled against Auburn in the face of a good defense, and missed a sure TD to an open receiver in the 4th with 3 minutes to go that would have given them the lead (and possibly the win). it will be interesting to see how he handles NFL defenses.

shouldn't this be in the NFL forum, not sure what it has to do with the Jets.

15. Borgata

Borgata Active Member

Proably one of those guys who becuase of his great arm strength has never anticipated pass in his life. Always has just seen the player open and rocketed the ball, which in the NFL will get picked off.

#15 Borgata, Jan 16, 2007
  16. Coach K

Coach K New Member

rofl yeah i was going to address it but knew someone else would.

obviously he hasnt seen Jemarcus Russell play.

17. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

I don't particularly love Brady Quinn, but I don't see anything to indicate that JaMarcus Russell will be a better pro quarterback either. That's kind of an absurd statement, based on, really, nothing.

-X-

18. Crimson Cane

Crimson Cane New Member

in my mind a much better prospect than Brady Quinn

I've seen some of JaMarcus and have been very impressed. I've seen him beat undefeated Alabama in overtime last year (one of the top defenses in the country) and based on his INT numbers, I don't know how people question his decision making. The SEC is full of unforgiving defenses, and Russell has done incredibly well. There is no question in my mind he is a far better prospect than Brady Quinn and is the best QB prospect since Peyton (remember Carson Palmer was a bit of a question mark coming out, and I don't think Carr, Eli, Couch, Smith, or Vick would have been considered better prospects than this guy)--though I felt Leinart was that good a prospect last year and obviously the NFL disagreed.

I also see no comparison between him and Vince Young other than size and color--he is definitely not a scrambler, more a pocket passer who is very hard to tackle because of his size. He'll have to learn pocket mobility, to protect the ball and improve his accuracy on short and medium passes. I've read he can throw the ball the length of the field.

But my favorite Jamarcus Russel fact is he shared an apartment with Fats Domino after Hurricane Katrina. (Fats was his girlfriend's grandfather)

19. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

Imagine Chad with an arm like that its sad that this kid throws as far in his seat than Chad throws throws standing, oh well

20. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

Would be very surprised if he is not the first pick in the draft. He seems to be a perfect fit for what Al Davis wants in a QB, whether or not he is the best overall QB prospect. There could be 4 or 5 first round QBs taken this year. Will be interesting to see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.