I’m tired of defense

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NJJets, Nov 27, 2023.

1. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

I’m all for defense first. And my biggest fear with the jets is wasting this one. The most frustrating thing is that all we wound need is a decently functioning offense. We don’t need the greatest show on turf. But no, we have to have what might be the worst in history , to completely dilute the talent we have on defense .

BrowningNagle and Acad23 like this.
  2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

but that's simply recency bias. if we had good offenses and no defenses the last 20 years you'd say the opposite. a well rounded team is better overall and the game is shifting right now. O-line talent is down, QB talent is down, and Offense as a whole is down this year. at their lowest point in over a decade. the NFL is a copycat league ever changing.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The 2019 Jets only allowed 3 more points per game than the SB winning Chiefs and SB loser 49ers and that defense literally had Jamal Adams, Marcus Maye, rookie Q and a bunch of guys who aren’t even on practice squads let alone in the league.

Point being - the defense needs to have ok talent with good supplemental signings, a good scheme, and ideally one game breaker (defensive end preferably).

4. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Defense first has resulted in us being the worst franchise in football over the last 13 years. You can win with a bad defense and a good offense. You cannot win with a bad offense and a good defense.

5. typeOnegative13NY

I don’t understand why it’s so hard to have a defense like ours, and then field a decent offense within 3 years. They have had 3 seasons now to build up the oline, and see what the rest of the world has seen with Zach. I can’t imagine any other organization would have gone about it this way.

6. Jonathan_Vilma

I think it’s a lot more balanced than you think. The Jets just can’t identify talent outside of the first round at any position group except apparently fucking hybrid safety/slot corners (MC3, Pinnock, Echols for christs sake).

Below are the top 25 receivers excluding tightend and the round they were drafted.

7. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

AS CC said, unless there is a FIRM comitment to fixing the OL, it doesn't matter who is behind center. They will fail. THis has to be the priority for next year's draft...

I understand the desire to pick a QB but unless you have a healthy and dominate OL, like Philly , 49ners and maybe KC, you are not going to win, period.

Now, I believe we do not have the correct HC/OC and maybe even GM anymore. JD record is 24-53 or .438 BUT if you remove 2019 (AG 7-9 record) it is 17-44 or .386 a shade better then Mac... RS record is 15-30 .333. Now a little perspective only Ken Shipp (.200) Lou Hotz (.231), AG (.281) and of course RK..have worse records. That in and of itself should get you fired.

He is stubborn fool who plays underperforming players and will not make changes even though reality dictates that you MUST, not should but must. His soft camps and management style has allow the imates to run the asylum ... and did I mention that he is a loser. F him and JD for this dysfunctional team...

8. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

We haven’t been able to do that in history. What we’ve done time and again over and over is turn a putrid D around to a damn near elite one in a year or 2 timeframe.

typeOnegative13NY likes this.
  9. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

15 of that list of 25 was drafted in the first or 2nd round.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Yup and we don’t have a second round pick or any NFL tackles on the roster. So I think unfortunately we’ve backed ourselves into such a bad corner where it’s tackle or nothing in the first round.

I also think there are some good 3rd-4th round receivers out there every year that teams miss.

11. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

It is funny to see this thread. It was literally only yesterday that I was thinking pretty much the same thing. Would I rather be like the Chargers from the 80s, where we could score 40 at any time and be constantly involved in shootouts because our defense didn't exist? Or would I rather be in this frustrating cycle we've been in for the last decade where if we don't win 17–13, we don't win at all. No comparison, I would much rather have the fire power to keep up with anybody and take my chances on defense over this. No question whatsoever.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Olu Fashanu it shall be then

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  13. The_Darksider

Queue the Trent Dilfer and the 2000 Ravens rebuttles.

#33 The_Darksider, Nov 27, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2023
  14. The_Darksider

As an aside, I was never a huge type o fan, but always appreciate fellow metal guys!

typeOnegative13NY likes this.
  15. The_Darksider

There is no way the Jets can draft a quarterback early this coming year. There's just no justification or even any solid reason to do it. They have built the defense, there are pieces on offense, it is now veteran quarterback or bust for the next 2–3 years at minimum because you can't saddle this squad with another rookie. Draft one in the mid to late rounds, hopefully he turns into something, let him develop over a couple of years, and move from there.

Since this is such a heavy quarterback draft coming up, the Jets would be insane not to trade out of their almost certain to be top 10 draft position. Trade out, acquire a few more picks from some team in the teens or higher who is hungry for one of the quarterbacks, and build that way.

They should have done that in 2021, they now have another golden opportunity to do so.

Pepsiguy5 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

In these debates you always go full swing strawman in the opposite direction to make your point... and then you throw out some bullshit term like "bad jets bias".

We had a shitty defense two years ago... and a shitty offense.

The Chargers? They're as paper thin as we are... we couldn't score a td on them and they blew us out by three scores.
    Ten points against the Pats & Giants... four field goals against the Raiders... all losses that would have been W's with even
    below average offensive play.

I'm not asking for a top 10 offense... I'm begging for average. Just average.

Just average would have us sitting on top of the AFC East.
    Just average got us back to back AFC Championship games in '09/'10.
    Just average would mean we wouldn't be calling for heads to roll.

Just average would be a good start... and we wouldn't have to sacrifice a goddamned thing.

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Well said

the Jets offense is now officially in dead last btw. Carolina passed us for 31st and subsequently fired their coach lol

Acad23 likes this.
  18. Jonathan_Vilma

We probably would’ve beaten the Raiders and Pats with the 2019 Jets offense and been in the hunt in December at 6-5.

Acad23 likes this.
  19. typeOnegative13NY

Still like them a lot , but they dont quite have the allure at 48 as they did at 18 lol. But classic metal will always be my favorite.

The_Darksider likes this.
  20. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

If you don't have a good QB, you need either a very good OC or a very good offensive-minded HC. We've had neither, combined with not investing enough into offense via the draft and FA, which is why we can never field even a decent offense.

ColoradoContrails likes this.