Sauce Gardner’s trade value

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by CTJet22, Nov 20, 2023.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

PFF isn't necessarily a bible but he isnt ranked that low. he's graded an 81.0 overall and his run grade is lower so his coverage grade is higher. I remember seeing a thing a week or 2 ago he was top 10 I want to say 7th overall. it was saying we were the only team with 3 Cbs in the top 20. MC2 was somewhere in the late teens and reed was top 3-5

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

He's been shoe-horned into a role designed for midget corners who camp out in zones all day because they lack closing speed. Teams are game planning the hell out of that and catching him in scramble drills and short comebacks every week when they bother to throw to his side.

This team can only use elite talent if it fits perfectly in their scheme.

3. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

This begs the question why would you draft a CB 4th overall to play in that scheme. Ideally you take a CB that high to lock up in man.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

That was a reason I was so surprised that they took him. Like taking a pass rushing OLB and asking them to play coverage as an OLB in a 43 front. I'm still happy they took him but sore a little flexibility. Mangini did that to Vilma, although he didn't draft him. Herm did it to Farrior. That's bad company when it comes to scheme flexibility. Those guys were made of wood.

stinkyB likes this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

pitt has done that several times with TJ and he has some picks.
    We did it with JJ too and he knocked the ball out which led to Qs INTs

I know it's different then full time but still. we also drafted sherwood a safety to bulk up and play LBer. talent is talent sometimes. JD felt sauce was BPA and took him and he's been great for us.

6. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

He will still be on his rookie contract when we get a new head coach, so there is still a chance we can optimize his usage when he is in his prime.

7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Is it absolutely necessary to get rid of him to rebuild the offense? We have a lot of solid guys under contract next year and 1st round pick, which is probably going to be pretty high. Another opportunity to get a good OT. Then trade a 3d round pick for a good WR. And we gotta hit on lower picks too once in a while and free agency. One good thing is that a lot of our dead weight FAs will be gone, such as Cook, Duane, and others. We are trying to win in the next two years, we cannot be trading away a superstar player on a rookie deal.

Ralebird likes this.
  8. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I just don't think we have the ammo to fill every hole on offense without trading someone good from the defense. We don't have a 2nd round pick this year.

We need:

2, probably 3 OL
    1 WR
    Nice to have: a TE

So let's say we need to fill 3 holes at a bare minimum and probably more like 4. A first and a third fills 1 of those with an outside shot at maybe 2. Add another first round pick and maybe a couple 2nds and we're in business.

There is a chance we could trade down from a very high first round pick if we lose out this season, but our front office has shown none of the foresight to make me believe they'd actually do that.

9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Whatever faults and complaints I have against Douglas, he is a veteran pro football guy steeped in most aspects of personnel, so I have some faith that he can do some things that most of us fans aren't aware of. So to answer your question, IMO, no I don't think he has to trade Sauce, just that given what I know (which isn't much) that would give us the biggest ROI.

But frankly, even if he got good, high draft picks for him, I'd almost prefer he use them to acquire good, young vets rather than draft more rookies that may or may not pan out. And that goes especially if he decides to get another QB - they just can't find and develop good ones, period.

The depth of this mess is measured by the real possibility that they could finish with 6 or less wins after 5 years of JD's best efforts. We're staring hard at yet another rebuild.

10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I was thinking about that. We need to hit on OLineman in the draft in the 1st round. JD was such a moron for not keeping the 13th pick and doing it this year. Instead of protecting Rodgers and setting up a future wall, he focused on Huff's replacement. Just idiotic. But that aside, assuming the pick is high enough, there should be a way to get a starting tackle with #1 pick.

WR I think we need a veteran one. Lazard is basically WR 3/4 now. Maybe one of the youngsters we have can become #3/4 also? We can trade 3d rounder for a #2 guy. Trades like this happen all the time. The remaining linemen I think can be addressed via free agency and also we gotta hit someone with late round pick. There are going to be options. Heck, even Becton I think will find out soon that his market is not going to be great. He is not exactly killing it this year. Fant is having a good year again and will be FA. Cleveland will be available.

My point is that there are going to be options to add two really good offensive players (1st round and a trade of 3d rounder). Then the rest in Free Agency. Losing Sauce will create a massive hole, and we don't have to go that route just yet.

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  11. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

It's in no way necessary. The only reason that you'd do it in order to get Douglas more picks to use to rebuild the offense is based on the fact that you know that Douglas would screw up some of those pics so he needs more chances at it in order to rebuild the offense.

Joe Douglas is paid to scout and evaluate talent and put together a winning football team. He just needs to actually do his damn job and build the offense, not blow up the one side of the ball he's actually done something with in order to try to fix the side of the ball he's blundered in historic fashion. That would be peak Jets, to get rid of the one strength we have to fail at improving the other side of the ball, resulting in a team that still can't compete with real NFL teams.

NY Jets68 likes this.
  12. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Where'd you get that from?

Based on what I'm seeing right now PFF has Sauce as the 11th best CB via their "Defense" grade and 5th overall on their "Coverage" grade.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  13. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

Good plan.
    Get rid of one of the very few decent players on the team.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  14. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

We have fielded multiple high level defenses over the past 20 years. All of those defenses took a season or 2 at the most to turnaround. We have shown time and time again that not only are we capable of putting together a good D, we’ve proven it’s easy. We have never had a potent offense. Never. If we’re going to lose, at least let’s be entertained by our losses. I’d much rather lose games 40-30 than 13-6 every week. We need to continue to pour all major resources into offense at least until we have an offense that can regularly pop 30+ points on the board. We keep hiring defensive coaches, how about Saleh shows us his value as a defensive mind without having to field superstars all over it.

REVISion and ColoradoContrails like this.
  15. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

close this thread please

JetFanInNE and BrooklynJetsFan like this.
  16. york61

york61 Well-Known Member

CTJet raises an interesting idea. Let me say this on Sauce, he is overated. This year has not been a repeat of last year. My impression of him is that he does not have fast start up or horizontal pivot speed and he is way to grabby. Moreover he plays off of the line quite a bit. I think Reed would be better than Sauce if he had Sauces arm length. having said the cons on Sauce but who would you replace him with? He is still one of the better corners in the league and as the league is passing first, than having a strong corner is a must. If you could get an incredible amount of draft picks and be able to get a good CB replacement than I would be up for it. The reason being we are going to need to replace almost the entire OL and get a quality #2 WR.

Anyway, at this point,the jets are going to need to make some creative moves if they want to be relevant.