Saleh admits to terrible planning

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Yankee6, Nov 21, 2023.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

It's clear now - even to me - that Zach wasn't ready to start, and maybe will never be at this point. But why wasn't this clear to Saleh and the rest of the CS? Are they really that clueless about how to evaluate good QB play? Apparently they are, and that's the really depressing and maddening thing. And guess what - for all those who are now clamoring for them to draft another QB? What are the odds of them even identifying a good one, let alone developing him? They've never done in over 60 years! Okay, if you want to count Kenny O go ahead, but they passed on Marino to get him. SOJ! At a minimum, to have any chance of drafting a good QB and developing him they'll have to replace Saleh and get an offensive minded HC in.

As to Saleh admitting he made a mistake, well why is anyone surprised that a defensive-minded HC - the only type the Jets ever seem to hire - would make a mistake like this? SOJ!

I had high hopes when they hired Douglas that he really would know how to build at least a balanced team, but once again we have a defense-heavy team. and an offense full of holes. It's inexcusable. At this point I've seen enough. clean house - AGAIN! - and for the love of all that's holy get people in who know how to build a 21st century offense-oriented team!

2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I've been watching Rodgers play since 2008. I still stink.

JohnnyJet, Acad23 and ukjetsfan like this.
  3. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

Keenum was in 2017

What is your point with this angle? Is your contention that the jets handled this well because this entire situation rarely happens?

Jets81 likes this.
  4. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

This one should have though.

And when I say "survive" I don't mean continue on at 100% strength. As soon as AR went down Super Bowl was gone. But this team absoLUTELEY should have been able to continue on and grind their way into a playoff game. To me that counts as "surviving" They should still be respectable and have a winning record because their roster is that good.

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  5. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I miss the press conferences the Jets used to slough off on lisping Pete Kendall. The guy looked like he just got back from 'Nam.

Coach Saleh is a puppet. C'mon, it's obvious.

6. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I've been blasting Saleh on this forum for his inability to coach the offense, but I don't think he should be fired. I say keep the current regime together until at least next season when Rodgers gets another chance. Also, Saleh is very bright and I hope he learns from his mistakes. And I also hope JD learns and gets a decent backup for Rodgers next season.

7. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

IDK man--he's had 4 years to gain some knowledge/influence over the offense and he seems as hands off as day 1. Guys like Tomlin, Reid, McDermott, Shanahan, etc seem to have influence on all aspects of the team.

Saleh's a great guy to have on the staff, great defense and intangible guy, but he's far from ideal as a HC.

JohnnyJet and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I hear you, but the Jets best chance at being a great team next season is with Rodgers and he came to the Jets with Saleh and company as the coaching staff. I don't think it would be good to overturn that relationship.

9. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

After absorbing all the evidence my uneducated guess as a fan is that they absolutely did "know" he wasn't ready to start but it was a combination of being frugal/going all in on the Rodgers push because Zach was essentially a free player this season AND they probably did harbor a glimmer of hope that with a full summer of mentoring, working with Hackett's new system etc that if Rodgers went down for a couple weeks in the middle of the year that Zach, as a free player, would be good enough to maybe split a couple games and survive a few weeks while Rodgers healed up whatever hamstring or bruise he went down with.

It is completely 100% clear that they didn't prepare for armageddon which is what ended up happening. And I guess even I can't kill them for that. But what they CAN and should be killed for is when armageddon actually happened just sitting on their hands and not getting Zach a parachute immediately in case he couldn't continue to fly the burning plane. To this very second I still can't believe they just left him out there to embarrass himself and everybody around him, even as it got worse and worse and worse. That sin is so bad I'm not even sure I'd give these guys another chance at this point. You run out of adjectives to describe it.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It’s difficult to gauge these guys a lot of times because all of the calls for most college QBs come from the sidelines. They don’t even really call the protections themselves.

That’s why you want a guy that’s played a ton in college so at least it’s muscle memory to an extent. And sometimes they’ll let more veteran guys make some decisions at the line but it’s still pretty rare.

Teams should be able to recognize that in training camp though. And if they can’t or they don’t, it’s probably because they’re playing the pick no matter what. The Jets did that and had no competition for him.

Pepsiguy5 and Brook! like this.
  11. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

This is simply criminal negligence.

12. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I agree with this bro--we would never have got him for less than a HC position so we have to live with it.

13. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

my intent was that people were expecting a QB who failed as a starter for 2 years to pull something off that rarely if ever been pulled off in the NFL and then were angry when he couldn't do it

14. GasedAndConfused

had the o-line stayed healthy we might have been able to do what cleveland and pitt are doing right now. but they got hurt as well

15. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Well it is what it is…I wanted Daboll mostly because he was an offensive side coach who developed QBs. And we saw what he did in improving Daniel Jones enough to get to the playoffs…and now he’s starting an undrafted rookie in DeVito who seems to already have had a better game than Zach has had last week. I think he threw for 3 TDs. Zach has never done that.

But that’s water under the bridge.

Going into this year I was a pretty damn strong JD supporter, but the continued mess at OL (injuries or not) and the absolute decision to do absolutely nothing about improving the backup QB position to me really lowers my opinion of him. Like they so often say…it’s not the crime, it’s the cover up (or something like that). I can forgive the drafting of Zach as we did need a FQB, but I have a much harder time forgiving the continued belief in him. I get the reasoning…rookie HC and OC year 1, or we change the OC…still no progress…ok let him sit behind Rodgers…and sure who would realistically expect Rodgers to go out right away, so hard to imagine that teams plan for that, but whether you argue that we should have upgraded from Zach as QB2 in the offseason or not, it’s super hard to defend not doing anything at all once the injury did happen. And even more so by the trade deadline when it was clear Zach is not the guy. That is hard to defend on any measure. I get they maybe said look, Zach can probably cover for 2-3 games if needed (and he kind of showed that he can as we are 4-6), but once you knew AR was done so early, they should have gone out and gotten something done…

But honestly, and I’ll admit that a big part of my thinking is the fear that if we let Woody clean house, it’s actually VERY likely (maybe even HIGHLY likely or probably) that he would not get anyone better, and in fact, judging from our history of GMs here, the next could very easily be worse. Idzik was clueless on talent evaluation…wasting a 14 player draft that really shouldn’t even have happened. Mac had no idea on how to strategically build a team, wasting high picks on non-premium positions like S and then passing on QBs when we needed one. Watson and Mahomes were there for us but he took a S. That’s a fireable offense on its own. Bradway was mister Bend Me Over and Rape Me on EVERY SINGLE transaction ever…he should have been fired when he traded a first round pick for Doug fucking Jolley and a 2nd rounder only to use it on a fucking kicker. Tanny was the only one since Parcells who had a clue and assembled strong talent. He rebuilt our OL in one offseason and then built a D for his HC. His issue was hubris…he got too cute and traded away WAY too many picks so when the Revis’ and the Harris’ and the OL aged out a bit there was nothing left to come in for them.

Anyway…I think JD has a good strategic view … build the trenches (great on DL, total fail on OL but not like he hasn’t invested in it), he’s got a top D to show for it, and if he can focus on OL and WR next year, we should be good. So I’m not quite ready to jettison him yet, but next year would be the final straw for me. If it were my call, I’d give him that due to the injuries, and I do think if we had AR here we’d be better than 4-6…more likely we’d be like 7-3 or so and right in the mix.

But if this team continues to tank and implode because we don’t have even league average QB play, I could totally understand making a change. In the end, he’s the GM. He’s accountable. His job is to build a winning team. Not just a great D. And he’s had time. I would totally understand a house cleaning.

ColoradoContrails and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  16. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Man are you going to eat some crow if the offense gets going with Boyle Friday lol

17. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

He'll probably go into hiding like the other zach supporters seem to be doing.

18. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

haha--nah--he's got a stronger constitution lol--he'll figure out a way to prove hes been correct all along

19. GasedAndConfused

i'd happily eat that. i'm rooting for the guy.
    I do think there is a chance that we move better. he's smarter then zach. the issue is, boyle can't finish off a drive without a turnover. and the line is too beat up. boyle threw 15 passes against a soft defense in a blowout last week and 3 should have been picked off (1 was) wouldn't surprise me if simian is in at the half. I don't think people here understand how bad boyle is

Pepsiguy5 and IDFjet like this.
  20. GasedAndConfused

not a zach supporter. i'm a jets supporter. i've never went into hiding.