Sauce Gardner’s trade value

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by CTJet22, Nov 20, 2023.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

That young QB would probably be thrust into the starting role in week 2 after some phenomenally poor initial development. Behind a shitty Oline.

ouchy and ColoradoContrails like this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

That's a fair take. But the Jets are have so many holes on offense, they need to consider doing something like this unfortunately. It's the hallmark of a poorly run franchise that constantly puts themselves in these positions. I really thought Douglas would be different, but here we are again. I can only surmise that the reason for that is that Woody is getting his hands in the mix and insisting on doing things his way.

I'm really at the point of not GAF any more.

jets_fan likes this.
  3. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

I glanced through a couple posts but this thread isn't worth reading. I get less active every loss but when I come on here and see a new poster comes on and starts a thread this idiotic makes me not want to check in as often. Holy hell, trade Sauce lol, wow.

4. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

I think you only make a move like this if you really trust the GM to not completely whiff on the draft picks he would be getting back in return. I don't think anyone trusts Douglas that much. And even then, honestly, I'd think it's a bad move. Sauce is an elite player. You build around those types of guys, not trade them. I could easily envision a scenario where they go ahead with that trade and then use it to bring in a couple of mediocre WRs and another Zach-like bust in whatever QB we'd be acquiring with one of those pics. And then, with all of the horrendous moves that the Jets have made over the course of their history, it would easily become the worst move in the history of the franchise.

And, I would agree. I'm also pretty much at the point of not giving a crap about these guys anymore. I'm about back at that point I was during the Gase era, where I just tuned in to laugh at the team.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

The Sauce or Quinnen compensation might not turn into anything valuable, but what's the alternative? Trot a bottom 5 offense out there for the 800th consecutive season? We are going nowhere with this <1 TD per game garbage. It is simply impossible to win that way.

I honestly feel like how divisive this topic is probably means it would be a good move. If a lot of people think it'd be insane to trade Sauce, it likely means we could indeed get an insane haul for him. He's been an incredible player for us but I can't watch another season of nonstop 3 and outs, and it's not like our defense would completely fall apart without him.

6. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

All we would be doing is fielding a lesser defense in order to attempt to fix the offense. In theory, Douglas has been attempting to fix the offense since he's been here. He's shown almost no ability to do so. Why would that suddenly change with whatever number of extra draft picks a potential Sauce trade would give him.

I also don't think we'd get as much as I think people are thinking in this thread. We might get a #1 for him. At that point, that guy we pick with that pick would have to be elite for it to be even be considered a break-even trade. I just can't subscribe to the philosophy of trading elite players for the chance to draft unproven ones.

7. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

The only way I'm trading him is if we get a quality starting QB for him, and that isn't happening.

8. CTJet22

CTJet22 Active Member

I feel like a competent starter at tackle is more valuable than Sauce. Plus you get two extra years of control.

9. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

What metric are you basing this off of?

I don't know how someone who was All-Pro as a rookie is overrated. Every metric that I've seen has him as a Top 5 CB in the NFL right now.

RochesterJet likes this.
  10. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

Don't lose sleep over these shitheads. I love this team and football but it's just a game.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

Upon reflection, your point that I bolded is why I wouldn't be in favor of trading him. Maybe if the Jets actually were offered 2 firsts I'd consider it, but as you said, I don't think any other team would offer that. Of course there is always a "Seahawks" team out there desperate enough to do it, so who knows.

Still, your other point is also valid: even if we got a haul of picks for him, we'd be trusting that the guy who has 4+ years in the job and has yet to produce a winning season to make those picks. Even if you believe Douglas shouldn't be fired yet, he shouldn't be given an opportunity to further deplete an already talent poor roster and trying to refill it with unproven draft picks - his record on drafting is now below average.

Maddeningly, we fans are again in SOJ purgatory, with no easy or quick fixes that can bring success any time soon. This is why I feel myself really not caring. I have better, and more satisfying, things to do than to waste whatever little time I have on a team that cares far less about the fans than we do about them.

Back to the Dark Side for me.

12. ColoradoContrails

This would probably be the only thing that makes sense, but as you said, it isn't going to happen.

13. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Jalen Ramsey got traded at the end of his rookie deal for two 1st round picks and a 4th. Sauce's value is higher than Ramsey's was at the time.

Fielding a lesser defense for a better offense is absolutely worth exploring. Offense is much more important.

14. ColoradoContrails

No other position - let alone CB - is worth what a QB is, even a QB who has struggled.

15. CTJet22

CTJet22 Active Member

I just don’t think he’s that good of a player. He’s done nothing this year other than whine about a call that cost us the game against KC.

he’s a decent starting CB, but that’s about it. Not worth the 4th overall pick.

16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He’s great. That’s silly to say. He’s only given up a single touchdown (last week) and over 30 yards twice this year (ironically against the Bills both times).

But he’s our most valuable piece given position, contract and ability.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  17. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Yeah, can't get on board with this take.

If you want to argue that because he's so good/valuable, we could trade him and get a lot of additional pieces to build around (especially on the offensive side of the ball), that's an entirely different team-building conversation that I'm more than willing to have. In that case, I can understand that reasoning for trading him (even if I don't necessarily agree with it) but Sauce is an elite CB in this league and there's no way anyone could legitimately argue against that.

REVISion likes this.
  18. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I think pff has Sauce ranked around 30th so far in 2023.

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Say what you want about Gardner but the defensive backs held their own pretty well against the best team in the league without him

20. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

the going rate for good QBs with at least 4-5 years left is 3 1sts + extra
    the going rate for top young CBs is 2 1sts + extra