Fire Joe Douglas 2023-24 Edition

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HomeoftheJets, Nov 19, 2023.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

the RB franchise tag is pretty cheap though and the other big players from that draft can be optioned so we wouldn't need the tag for them. it's only like 10mil right now and may not even go up.

2. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

You bring up a very interesting point. The crazy thing is that Houston is doing the same exact thing that the Jets were doing a little earlier. Get a good DC from 49ers as a HC. Who then then brought a young creative offensive coach as an OC who had exposure to Shanahan. It's identical to Saleh and MiLF. The only difference is that Houston GM with 2nd overall got them Stroud, and JD got us Zach. Now, big part of it luck, sure, but I really don't think that Ryans/Slowik are superior to Saleh/MILF. It's just that Stroud is MVP like player while Zach is a bust.

Jets81, Jets79, REVISion and 2 others like this.
  3. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

I think most people would say Mike Maccagnan was a bad GM. His record through 2015-2018 (4 seasons) was 24-40. Joe Douglas record from 2020-2023 (still going) is 17-43.

I am not counting the 2019 season record of 7-9 to either of them, though because Mike Maccgnan did complete the Free Agency and 2019 Draft, he was fired in June of 2019 and Joe Douglas took over the roster and completed the final 53 man roster. People make excuses that Joe didn't have a fair chance anyway since he didnt have a full off season. OK - so ill remove it. Lets focus on HIS FULL 4 years.

2020 Off-Season

Free Agent Signings/Trades Grades :
    • Joe Flacco : C (Backup QB)
    • George Fant ; C (solid tackle)
    • Frank Gore : D (why did they sign him)
    • Breshad Perriman : F ( at the time, he missed on resigning Robbie Anderson, who went for 1000 yards with CAR
    • Greg Van Roten : F ( he was a turnstile)
    • Conner Mcgovern : A ( above average starting C, still on the team)
    • Patrick Onwuasor : F ( pretty sure he was suspended the whole year)
    • Pierre Desir : F (horriable starting CB)
    • Bradey Mcdougald : D (was part of Jamal Adams trade, was a starter for a year
    • Bryce Huff : A+ ( elite rusher UDFA)
    Draft
    • Mekhi Becton : D (talent has been there but has barley played in 4 years and passed on a ELITE RT in Tristun Wirfs
    • Denzel Mims : F ( Mims is out of the NFL, he made a horrible trade down and missed on tons of WR's
    • Ashtyn Davis : C ( backup safety and special teamer, ok)
    • Jabari Zuniga : F (cut that season i think)
    • Lamical Perine : F (cut)
    • James Morgan : F (cut)
    • Cameron Clak : F (retired)\
    • Bryce Hall : C (Backup CB)
    • Braden Mann : F (punter that was sole reason some games were lost )
    2021 Off-Season

• Tevin Coleman : D (bridge RB)
    • Corey Davis : D ( missed so many games and when played wasn't productive
    • Keelan Cole : D ( bridge WR)
    • Tyler Kroft : D (bride TE)
    • Morgon Moses : B (starting RT signing in training camp
    • Dan Feeney : D (backup C/G)
    • Carl Lawson : D ( injury prone player paid big money and only got 1 year out of him
    • Vinny Curry : F ( did he ever play?)
    • Sheldon Rankins : A (2 year starter )
    • Jarrad Davis : D (hurt)
    • Justin Hardee : A ( pro bowl special teamer)
    • Lamarcus Joyner : D (injured/bridge safety)
    • Quincy Williams : A+ (stud LB claimed off waivers)
    Draft
    • Zach Wilson : F (one of the biggest draft busts in history
    • Alijiah Vera Tucker : B (elite player but has missed 2 season from injury)
    • Elijah Moore : F (traded after year 2)
    • Michael Carter : D (cut in year 3)
    • Jamien Sheerwood : C (starting LB)
    • Michael Carter II : A+ ( top slot CB)
    • Jason Pinnock : F (starting Safety that was CUT)
    • Hamsah Nasirideen F (cut)
    • Brandon Echols : C (backup CB)
    • Jonathon Marshall : F (cut)
    2022 Off-Season

• CJ Uzomah : F ( paid big money and has done nothing)
    • Tyler Conklin : B+ (productive tight end we havn't had in years)
    • Duane Brown ; C ( 1 year ok, 2nd year hurt)
    • Laken Tlminson : C+ (average starting G
    • Solomon Thomas : C+ (good depth player)
    • Kwon Alexander : C ( good signing late in camp
    • DJ Reed : A+ ( very good signing)
    • Joran Whitehead : B (starting SS)
    • Greg Zuerlin : A+ (great kicker )
    • Tony Adams : A (starting safety found in UDFA)
    Draft :
    • Sauce Gardner : A+ (elite CB)
    • Garret Wilson : A+ (elite WR)
    • Jermaine Johnson A (Great edge player, still getting better)
    • Breece Hall : A (best RB the jets have had in years)
    • Jeremy Ruckert : C+ (backup tight end. could get better)
    • Max Mitchell : C+ (backup tackle, that has started
    • micheal clemons : C ( depth player but plays)
    2023 Off-Season

Free Agent Signings/Trades Grades (SO FAR TO DATE)
    • Aaron Rodgers : C (this might not be fair, but trading for a 39 year old was risky). This clearly would/could have been a A but we havn't got anything yet
    • Tim Boyle : F ( This could change this weekend, but this was the only backup signed this off season.
    • Allen Lazard : F (he has been nothing but a big stiff)
    • Mecole Hardman : F ( didnt even make it to the middle of the year)
    • Randall Cobb : F ( nothing)
    • Billy Turner ; F (the only FA Tackle signing lineman in the off season)
    • Wes Schweitzer : D (solid backup, but hurt )
    • Al Woods : C (solid NT but hurt)
    • Quinton Jefferson : B (starting DT, 5 sacks )
    • Thomas Morstead : A+ (best punter we have had in years)
    Draft :
    • Will Mcdonald : F ( too many needs on the offensive side.
    • Joe Tippman : B (starting Center)
    • Carter Warren : D (been inactive most of the year
    • Izzy Abanikanda : D (been inactive most of the year
    Im not going to bother to do the rest since they are late round picks and wont know for 2 more years,

So, as you can see, not very good and is a reflection on why the record is what it is. I am not saying get rid of him but i wanted to make a point that he is a average GM. Too many fans think he should be given a pass for this or that and knocking one draft class out of the park is not a excuse to keep his job forever,

#63 nevbeats319, Nov 21, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2023
  4. CTJet22

CTJet22 Active Member

I think every Jets fan wants him fired. Zach Wilson shouldn’t cost him his job, but starting Zach Wilson for 33 games should.

5. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Oof ... it's brutal when laid out like this. And personally, I think you scored Douglas higher than he deserves on some of these moves.

6. CTJet22

CTJet22 Active Member

Douglas had a great 2022 draft. Every other move was horrendous.

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Nice write up and I think it’s pretty fair. Douglas had three first round picks including two in the top ten and a high second in 2022. He gets credit for the good picks but I sure as shit hope we hit on some of them.

8. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

OP is underrating Corey Davis.

He missed some games but he was our best receiver last year.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  9. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

Good point. I could forgive the pick, but not the insistence

10. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Sad to say, Even with all that starring you in the face, he's probably one of the best this franchise has had, but at the end of the day, things have to translate on the field, and in the win column.

NYJetsO12 and SOJAZ like this.
  11. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Honestly, I was neutral against him until this year but no more. He lost my trust and I am in the Fire His Ass camp going forward. I owe an apology to @HomeoftheJets

12. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I have never seen a more overrated GM around here, and right from jump.
    I think it's because he never gets in front of a microphone to explain himself, fans are quick to blame everyone but him for GM responsibilities.

Strategically he never had a clue which gets me the most, and his handling of the QB position was dreadful all 5 years.
    I was almost waiting for him to sign the disinterested Flacco 'mentor' for a 3rd round when Rodgers went down.
    Worst results than Maccagnan and Idzik, let that settle in a bit.

13. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

So it’s interesting

I think he’s been highly thought of or overrated, however we want to say it…because we’ve been comparing him to the absolute trash dog shit can’t even think of enough bad words to describe how much I truly HATE and think SO LITTLE of Mac and Idzik and Bradway and the absolute total dogshit we’ve had at the GM seat for SO long here.

Compared to Idzik and Mac and Bradway, JD is a fucking genius. Brilliant. THAT’S how much I fucking hate the other 3 fucking incompetent morons we’ve had running the show.

Ok…rant over :)

So for me, I have been a JD supporter and in no small part due to what I said above. He’s had several good trades, he’s upped the talent level on D for sure and gotten us 2 stars on O in Hall and GW. However, he’s had enough failures on OL and most specifically at QB. I can forgive drafting Zach even though I didn’t like it at the time, but I understood the need for a QB and trusted our fucking GM. What I can’t forgive is riding with him when it’s been SO clear that he sucks. There WERE opportunities to do better in the offseason, right after the injury, and still until the trade deadline. And he did nothing. I also have a hard time overlooking the OL mess after 4 years of trying to fix it…and yes injuries have been a huge part of it and he’s drafted plenty of OL (unlike Mac who left us with literally nothing), but after enough time, you don’t get to use injuries as an excuse any more. It’s been 4 fucking years. Just fucking fix it.

So I’ve swayed…and not even so much due to the record…I get we were in rebuild…I can overlook the poor record in his first couple of years, but at some point it needs to improve. It’s about winning. But the root cause is really those two failures. OL and QB have been absolute disasters.

I think if we can squeak out a couple more wins so the team doesn’t implode and if AR comes back, I’m assuming Woody will keep both JD and Saleh, and if that’s the case, I’d say JD has one more offseason that needs to focus 100% on offense, so I feel like this may not be the end of the road.

However, I also wouldn’t be shocked if this team really implodes and Woody keeps getting embarrassed, if he just blows it all up.

Borat and SOJAZ like this.
  14. GasedAndConfused

I still think it was GW but I do think lots of people here undervalue CD

James Hasty likes this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

I get that, but remember people said the same about MLF last year and look now. most would love to have him over hackett.

lynch has had 10 1st round picks in his now 8 year tenure with the niners and regarded as one of the best. all he has to show for those 10 picks is bosa, aiyuk, and buckner.

16. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

GaC

I see your point but still I am done with him.

17. GasedAndConfused

it's a good breakdown but I don't think some of those are fair.

in 2020 he had a lame duck HC/QB combo and was picking for that regime. mims and gore were both for gase. Becton was drafted for darnold to give him protection (and would have been good if not for a freak injury and long recovery) and the D was set up for GWs man heavy blitz scheme. we had no talent on defense outside of Q, Adams, and CJ. Adams bitched his way off the team in the offseason and mosloey sat out for covid. it was also the no combine covid draft.

2021 we got a new regime. he hired saleh who brought along MLF and ulbrich as his coordinators. he moved darnold out to draft a QB and the D switched from a 3-4 man blitz D to a zone D that needs to get home without blitzing. He obviously missed on zach but in 3 years we went from a team with nothing (only 2 players hold over CJ and Q) to a roster that many considered as one of the top ones. He went out and traded for a HOF QB who he had to convince to not retire.

people are complaining about our QB2 and lack of WRs but look at the chiefs. Mahomes is getting 0 help on offense. if he went down they aren't winning anything. gabbert is his backup and their WR is worse then ours and they didn't have their WR2 retire a week before the season. If mahomes went down and they lost out, their fans would be like well thats what happens when you lose your elite QB. but our fans are attacking everyone.

Jets79 likes this.
  18. GasedAndConfused

I think people will have more clarity in the offseason

19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I can't say anything about other posters, but my take on MLF was very different from my take on Douglas.

BacktoQueens and REVISion like this.
  20. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The funny thing about Douglas is unlike his predecessors, he isn't an awful talent evaluator, and he understand positional value. But he's so arrogant that he's incapable of conceiving the possibility that he could be wrong about a player. So instead of riding his winners and replacing his losers (specifically Zach and his injury-prone O-linemen), he sticks with his losers long after it's obvious he messed up, and he's willing to destroy a season and a locker room to try to prove he was right.

JohnnyJet and REVISion like this.