Saleh admits to terrible planning

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Yankee6, Nov 21, 2023.

1. Yankee6

Yankee6 Well-Known Member

Michael Kay asked him how could he go into the season with Zach as the backup for a 39 year old QB when the reason they got Rodgers was because Zach wasnt good enough. Saleh said that they thought the worst case scenario would be that Rodgers would get hurt after 3 or 4 games and that would have give Zach a chance to see him prep and play all that time. How the hell could you think the WORST case would be for him to get hurt game 3 or 4? Obviously this wasnt the worst case. Also seriously Zach is going to magically improve after seeing Rodgers play for 4 weeks. Just a terrible job of planning.

2. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

JD to blame. You Resign Mike White this is not a convo.

3. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

The thought that watching Rodgers play for 4 weeks was going to transform Wilson from the worst QB in the NFL to something serviceable is hilarious. Talk about wishful thinking.

4. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ the man must be a moron. Get him away from this team as soon as possible!

5. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

The coddling of Zach has been awful. It’s honestly inexplicable. I listened to Jalen Hurts postgame presser. He talks about the dedication, every play, every down, every concept, every snap, every rep in practice has purpose. He speaks like a leader. I don’t think he’s an elite QB but he’s an elite leader. Now picture Zach in the middle of a huddle talking to his team about every rep, every play, every concept mattering to the most minute detail. Imagine him motivating his team to rally behind him. You can’t. To even try to envision it would be silly. He’s completely emasculated because the FO has treated him like some delicate baby. He just doesn’t have the mindset to be a QB in the NFL. Not as a leader, and not as a student of the game. It’s insulting to the team in my opinion. Certainly insulting to the fans that pay to watch this shit. You treat a football player like a grown ass man, either they sink or swim.

6. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I think that came from above Saleh's head otherwise a REAL move wouldve been made as soon as Rodgers got hurt... or at least by the trade deadline

Pepsiguy5, fggrimes, Cman68 and 3 others like this.
  7. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

The underlying theme here is that the Jets (Douglas, Saleh, Woody Johnson) thought Zach Wilson was good enough to be a winning NFL QB if he had to play. They may still think that. But either way you look at it, it's an indictment of their judgment because everyone not working for the Jets knew he wasn't good enough; and they knew it about 18 months ago.

8. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

We haven't been able to judge or develop a QB in 60 years so ...

9. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

He would have been expensive, but worth it. They paid Dalvin Cook a fortune with no value in return. I'm not sure why they signed him, but they did. They could have had Mike White instead.

Jets79 and Yankee6 like this.
  10. stinkyB

They didn't want anymore custom T-shirts...

ouchy and Since1969 like this.
  11. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Also Saleh is not a good head coach when it comes to the offense. His mentality for the whole team is Defense

ColoradoContrails and mark82 like this.
  12. Yankee6

Yankee6 Well-Known Member

yes they STILL do. Saleh said hes sure Zach is still going to be a successful qb in this league. Open your fuckin eyes!

13. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

That's Saleh. He always praises his players in public. Always. The truth doesn't matter. This is what he does. Accept it.

14. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

It's also the smart thing to do if you have any hopes of trading a guy. Never want to devalue your own asset. I can't imagine he actually thinks Zach is any good at this point.

15. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Zach would have been QB3.

16. stinkyB

fixed

Pepsiguy5 and BrooklynJetsFan like this.
  17. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Until I hear evidence otherwise, the narrative I'm buying is JD is in denial about ZW being a bust and that has led him to avoid adding a legitimate backup. I've said it many times, but JD's ignorance to the obvious that ZW is a bust and his refusal to add a legitimate backup is the biggest stain on his resume and it's a monumental one. And having Zach being an injury away of starting wasn't even good for his development either! So WTF? Resign Mike White. Sign Jacoby Brissett, Gardner Minshew, etc. etc. And after Rodgers goes down, sign a Matt Ryan or Carson Wentz. At the trade deadline, go get Brissett or Dobbs. All would gave given this team a better chance. Instead, one of the top defenses in the league is once again being wasted by the worst QB play in the NFL. And I've been a supporter of his overall, but this has me seriously questioning his ability as a GM. Arrogance, denial or something of the like has gotten in the way of building a better football team. It's inexcusable to the team and to fans. Absolute negligence as a GM.

What's Saleh supposed to do? He has one of the biggest draft busts in NFL history at QB followed by two of the worst backups in the NFL. I'm not thrilled with Saleh either, but that's set up for failure by the GM

mrmajix, Gremlin, ProfJets and 9 others like this.
  18. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

They knew he was not only better, but a locker room preference… and that would risk not being able to force byu boy

JohnnyJet likes this.
  19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Agreed and Saleh also has to talk to the press multiple times a week. This is on the front office. It felt obvious he wanted to start White as soon as possible last year.

I also don’t have any problem with most of what he says because I don’t think he has a choice. He strikes me as a guy that would publicly condemn his QB at least a little bit in the name of accountability but he’s not allowed to.

20. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

there isn't a single team in the NFL that would survive losing an elite QB 4 snaps into their season

Mogriffjr and cval like this.