What can be done to improve the offense right now?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Nov 14, 2023.

1. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Why does sitting Zach and trying something different offend you? You agree Zach is not good, you’ve said it multiple times. When something is not good you try to replace it. Zach is not good. He has shown nothing to even hint he’ll ever be good. You use weak and incomplete evidence to damn other players while going to the ends of the earth to defend the notion of not replacing Zach. You refused the idea of signing Wentz, saying Wentz wasn’t good and a cancer. Then LA signs him and instead now you’re saying it’s a scheme decision that Wentz doesn’t fit our player scheme/profile? You’ve resisted every argument to improve the QB position over Zach once Rodgers went down.

People want to watch football for entertainment. Zach is the least entertaining QB I’ve seen since Brooks Bollinger. Straight up, seeing Trevor Siemian might be entertaining. It might be. At least Sanchez’s ineptness was entertaining.

I’ve seen Zach’s ineptness for 3 years. I’ve seen the same dough eyed look of complete unawareness of what he’s supposed to do for 3 years. In these 3 years we have set some of the most embarrassing records of offensive futility that I’ve ever even heard of. I don’t want to see Zach anymore. He has beyond any shadow of a doubt been the main cause of my misery as a Jets fan. I don’t blame him personally. He was picked by a clueless FO. I don’t care what the media or draftnicks were saying then. QB’s mean viewership/readership ratings and a Covid era draft with no combine means the QB’s we’re going to be hyped up even more. I was adamant that he was a terrible selection prior to the draft. When the Jets started to be rumored to draft him I was mortified. No personal interview other than Zoom meetings, no combine, only meeting him on pro day and basically being wowed by one throw, no success in college until his Sr year, not named captain because he was liable to lose his job before Sr year because BYU made the position an open competition (ironically that competition never really happened due to limited practices during Covid), played with no crowd in his only real success, and his competition was severely lower due to being an independent league team in Covid and their normal tougher competion would not play them due to Covid. Every fucking red flag imaginable this kid had it, and proper football scouting should have caught that. This is why I can’t ever bring myself to give JD full support. Becton was JD’s first official pick, but Zach was his first full season pick with his scouting team. That was his pick to put a stamp on this team’s future. His options were to draft a QB that had every shred of evidence you’d ever need to predict he’d bust, or take a haul of picks from SF and build the team. Now he won’t let go of his mistake and it’s strangling this team from the coaching staff to the players to the fans.

I want to be entertained. I can accept a touchdownless offense if it’s for trying. But expecting this offense under Zach to do anything more that it’s consistently done for 3 years is maddening.

2. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Its a special level of hell when we get embarrassed on national TV two weeks in a row by mediocre defenses, and still nothing changes.

3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

It doesn't offend me. It just doesn't make any sense.
    I wouldn't be offended if we fired JD and hired larry david to replace him, I'd just think it was stupid so why do it.
    change for the sake of change never works. you only fire people to hire better replacements. we don't have a better replacement.

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I've seen some things from Zach that are evidence of improvement. The problem is that it's year 3 and the improvement rate is like watching a snail crawl across a glacier. It's obviously mental with him. Take a mulligan already.

5. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I would try this at this point b/c the status quo has failed.

6. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Hmm. Maybe Mike White. The guy WAS on the roster. I don't know why they let him go.

7. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Nobody is a better replacement until you try! Christ man you’d be sitting here today defending why you’re still starting Drew Bledsoe.

GoldenShowers and westiedog1 like this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

except brady was a young draft pick. if we had that then sure give it a try
    what we have is 2 30ish year old Qbs 1 of which was ok when younger but washed up and the other was never good and been in the league 5 years. there is a big difference. If we had a young guy like a bagent, AOC, levis etc then i'd let the young guy come in and see if they can do something

you sound like my buddy who wants tomlin fired because he's a shitty coach lol

9. GasedAndConfused

miami made him one of the highets paid backups (with incentives) and they have a cheap QB on a rookie deal who is injury prone. not to mention the best 1-2 punch in hill/waddle.
    we have 50ish mil tied up between zach and rodgers and couldn't offer as much plus he would have had to compete with zach for the 2 spot

dmw likes this.
  10. GasedAndConfused

I mean I think we all know he isn't the future. well at least most. but he's fine as a backup in spot duty. no team is prepared for their starting QB to go down for the whole season. backup QBs are that because they aren't good enough to go out and play 17 games. after rodgers retires we'll need to draft a new QB

11. abyzmul

I think we only have a 1 game sample of Zach as a backup and it was kind of ugly, but enough to win that one. Maybe he'd be a good backup but that's not the reason to keep him starting in a season that we can still salvage.

12. GasedAndConfused

the reason right now is we don't have a better option. sometimes your choices are the lesser of 2 evils or in this case 3 evils. simian was unemployed until weeks ago because he's washed. boyle was on our roster as a favor to rodgers and we never expected him to play.

dmw likes this.
  13. abyzmul

I've already seen your argument on this and I'm not interested in dancing with your fractured logic, I'll just say that assuming none of them are or were a better option at this point is not a concept that I consider rooted in reality.

14. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

How much $$ is tied up btw Zach and Rodgers for next season?

15. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Maybe don't sign Dalvin Cook and pay Mike White instead. Play your rookie running back instead of benching him.

GoldenShowers likes this.
  16. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

The answer, as everyone (minus one) knows here, is Step 1 try Siemian or Boyle. The OP says the backups are worse than ZW but we don't know that for sure until they actually try. And then beyond that--it would send a signal to the rest of the poor team that they aren't giving up on the season. It's about respect for the players, and professionalism. Something this franchise has never had much of, to be fair.

REVISion and SOJAZ like this.
  17. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Can we at least put to rest the theory that "having Aaron around is gonna help the offense".

The 'Rodgers Experiment'... on every level... has been an abject failure thus far.
    The Hackett hire... the acquisition of all the ex-Packers ... the idea Aaron will "fix" Zach... all have turned to shit.

The Jets need to make drastic changes in both offensive personnel & offensive scheme.
    39 drives w/o a touchdown is historically bad... even a below average offense would have us sitting at 7-2.

Another wasted season... all due to stupid decisions by the Jets front office.

18. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

Jets just released Michael Carter.
    I'd bet money shit is stirring up in that locker room.

dmw, SOJAZ and stinkyB like this.
  19. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I don't think that Jets mngt brought in Aaron to "fix" Zach and I still think they should have paid Mike White. Did they really need Dalvin Cook when the rookie RB looked really good? He's on the bench doing nothing.

20. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

but how do you feel about UNC basketball?

GoldenShowers likes this.