No second interview for our SCHOTTY!/ Withdraws from interviews

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Kentucky Jet, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

I was wondering why Shottenjunior would withdraw. This is definitely plausible. Who wants to work with Dom Capers? Why hire a coordinator before the head coach? The only other reason would be if he got a better offer elsewhere. He's not out of the head coaching picture until all the positions are filled, as far as I'm concerned. But, if he leaves for a team other than Miami, it's still a lesser evil.

2. 1_Nugent_1

1_Nugent_1 New Member

Gotta love BSchott. This is great news and it's time for me to :rofl: at Miami fans around the world!

:finssuck:

3. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

His contract ends next week (he hasn't signed the extension yet) and they wanted to get him signed before he hit thre free market.

Why not just make him the HC.

4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I would think they'd make BShotts Assistant HC. I'd like to think this FO would be forward thinking and proactive enough to lock up serious talent while its still possible to do so.

5. DeathByJets

DeathByJets Well-Known Member

I am kinda surprised by all the people that can't fathom why Schott Jr would withdraw. I think it makes more sense for him to withdraw than seriously pursue the job. I liken BS to a young executive in a growing company. If a larger more well established, but floundering, competing company offered the young exec their CEO position, would he take it? My guess is probably not. It is better to grow into positions of power than jump in before you are ready.

BS would have several reasons not to take the job. 1) He would be taking over a vet heavy team with very strong personalities. 2) He has to face both Belichick and Mangini 2 times each year. 3) 33 is too young (2 or 3 years makes a HUGE difference). 4) If he fails, he may never sniff another HC opportunity again (David Shula anyone). 5) He may be learning alot under Mangini. 6) Not being able to choose his own DC was a bad sign. 7) He will likely be well compensated by the Jets for CHOOSING to stay.

Money isn't everything and failure is a bitch (especially in coaching). He will know when he is ready and opportunities will come. He got a nice interview under his belt. Good for him. Now he is staying. Good for us. If he continues to do well, I expect we will lose him next year or the year after, but until then I'll be happy just to see two years of offensive continuity.

DbJ

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Come on, Sean, I hear you Pats fans say "It's business" all the time, now it's nervy for Mangini and Tannenbaum not to want their O-coord go in a lateral move if there's a chance he coaches against them in the conference... possibly in the division? He's one year into a contract. If it's not a HC position, then he needs to honor his contract, spare me the sentimentality.

Personally, I think it was a combination of the contract given to Capers and the feeling he got during his first interview.

7. highflyer

highflyer Active Member

I love FinHeaven's poll.

Who will be the new head coach?
    Cam Cameron
    [tally] 27%
    Pate Carroll
    [tally] 5%
    Chan Gailey
    [tally] 9%
    Brian Schottenheimer
    [tally] 37%
    Mike Tomlin
    [tally] 9%
    Other
    [tally] 13%

:rofl:

8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Don't worry, in a week they won't remember who he is. I had to explain to someone yesterday that Santana Moss was traded 2 years ago. I think they have some good weed down there or something.

9. dBLitzer28

dBLitzer28 Active Member

Smart move by shotty

10. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

This thread is pretty amusing, especially the posts about how the Miami head coaching job is the best one in the NFL, and that the Dolphins are "NFL royalty."

http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?t=179189

11. I bleed Jets Green

I bleed Jets Green New Member

Good. He's staying. He doesn't need that crap team the Dolphins.

12. Mickey Shuler 82

Mickey Shuler 82 New Member

Two reasons, maybe: Carolina and Houston.

Supposedly Mora, Jr. and Capers have ties through Mora, Sr. Knowing they will hire Mora Jr. might have made the Capers signing a no brainer.

13. JETfrmWOMBtoTOMB

JETfrmWOMBtoTOMB New Member

Oh man that's great! When was the last time a coach turned another team down for us? This had the potential of throwing our off-season on its head. Now we have continuity and that means good things. Thank God!!! We love u Schott Jr!!!

14. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

This is great news.

15. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

Great great news!

16. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

does anyone have the link that says we gave him more money to stay?

17. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

That's a good point that hadn't occurred to me. At this time last year people were saying "same old Jets" as another head coach ran away and the team hired a nobody to replace him (as some trolls around here were so fond of pointing out). One year later, and you have an OC choosing to not meet with a team for a possible head coaching job to stay here. Whatever other considerations might have been there for Schott (and I'm sure there were some we're not hearing about), I think that says a lot for how far the front office has come in one year.

18. The U

The U Member

This is huge, Schotty/Pennington will be even better than last year. Also, Turner will still be a target.

19. highflyer

highflyer Active Member

20. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

AWESOME!!! Thats great. Id hate to have to face Schott twice a year, although it might have got us a couple of guaranteed wins