No second interview for our SCHOTTY!/ Withdraws from interviews

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Kentucky Jet, Jan 15, 2007.

1. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

Shotty may have pulled out because the retention of Dom Capers. Essentially, the Dolphins are giving Capers $2.5mm a year before know if the coach wants to work with him. That kind of deal undermines the authority of the head coach. Who would want to step into situation where you will have no control over the defense and the offense is a 2-3 year project?

2. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

:rofl: :rofl:

3. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

He may have pulled out for his father's benefit. There are rumors (just heard on PTI) that papa Shotty is on thin ice in SD. If he is fired, Marty may become a candidate for the Miami job. Therefore, Brian may have pulled out to give his dad a shot at the job.

4. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

Is there any coach that fans would get less excited about than Marty Shottenheimer at this point?

(In a few years, it will probably be Edwards, but Big Marty is numero uno right now.)

5. wonderboy24

wonderboy24 Member

I do not think Marty is going to
    Miami

6. penny10jet

penny10jet New Member

I just gained so much respect for the guy. Wow. I want to give him an extension or something to thank him for his loyalty. It also could be possible that he's just not as ambitious as his father and didn't really want to give up his entire life. But doubtful. Great news for Jets fans. So apparantly the Glazer report was somewhat legit.

7. GWjet

GWjet Well-Known Member

Your probably right. I forgot about Culpepper...my bad

8. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

This is a very, very surprising decision given that Schottenheimer was supposed to be one of the top 2 candidates for the job (this theoretically opens things up for Chan Gailey, which should make Jets fans happy.)

Want my opinion (keep in mind that this is total, baseless speculation)? I think that Marty Schottenheimer, anticipating his firing from Miami, asked Brian to step down in deference to him. If Marty gets canned the Dolphins job would be very appealing to him, and it's not like Brian won't get other chances.

9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

What if Brian isn't doing it for Marty, but for himself?

Could he think that he could replace his father in San Diego?

It is possible.

10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I would love to have Marty Shottenheimer figuring out ways to lose playoff games in sunny Miami.

11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Lets not talk crazy here. It will be a little while before Miami is losing playoff games again. :)

12. Warrior

Warrior Member

The most plausible reason is probably he feels he isn't ready. He has gotten good exposure and interviewing experience out of this. Next year if opportunity knocks he will make a full go of it. Plus he likes the Jets and he wants to prove they' re winners - there is unfinished business with those classless barbarians from the North.

13. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

I'm in!

Domo arrigato, dog.

14. Sean_in_titletown

What if he wants to go be the O coordinator for whichever team Marty coaches next year? Sons will do just about anything for their fathers honor. Just a thought. Why else would he withdraw his name? Would Tangini have the nerve to deny Brian the chance to go coach for his father?

15. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

That makes more sense than skipping out on the job for his pops...i don't think any self-respecting father would ask their son to turn down a promotion. Either way, it would suck to lose him before we get to see what he can do with a running game.

16. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I would be surprised if Marty gets the job in Miami, and for the same reason that Brian might have withdrawn from consideration - I think that there's an excellent chance that the Fins' real choice is Cowher in a year. They could fire Brian after a poor year (young kid didn't work out), and could fire Mora (doesn't have all that great a track record anyway), but it would harder to fire Marty after a bad regular season, given his long track record of winning in the regular season.

17. Sean_in_titletown

I think the Jets offense was very impressive given the lack of running game. Which I think is a huge testament to Schott's innovative offense and Chad's ability to grasp it and prosper in it without a running game.

18. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

This is excellent news! The only thing I can think of is maybe the dolphins job was really just a one year thing maybe hoping that they could get Cowher next year and Schott figured it out.

19. Mavericknyc1980

Mavericknyc1980 Active Member

Great news. Thank god. Now lets form a list for DB coaches.

20. JoeJet

JoeJet Banned

I think Woody gave him a GIANT raise, no pun intended.