Zach Wilson vs Chargers: A Breakdown

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KY Jets Fan, Nov 8, 2023.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

thats why we brought in rodgers. who is a master at that.

2. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Jets are 31st in pass protection, only in front of the Giants…so yeah…

3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

And if you can't see the field even if you are lined up correctly...? Most of us recognize Ruckert is not the only guy on the field failing in his pre-snap responsibilities.

SOJAZ likes this.
  4. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Im pretty sure Zach doesn’t have any idea that he has presnap responsibilities.

5. GasedAndConfused

so you didn't see him call audibles multiple times? call out blitzers? help his teammates line up? because he did exactly all that

BrooklynJetsFan and Mogriffjr like this.
  6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Wilson is one if, if not the dumbest QB, we've had

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  7. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

i just find it funny people want Zach out knowing they guy they want was on the street wanted by no one a month ago…and is currently the 3rd string QB.

Not to mention the elephant in the room is having employed Billy Turner, not to mention him actually starting a game.

I don’t have many answers but 1 for sure is banish Turner to OFF THE TEAM. Put Max, Becton, Brown at RT, i don’t care. Put Wes at RG and go from there.

Zach is a backup at best but I’d rather have some sort of dynamic back there who’s trying his best with the crap he’s been dealt and has been better then last then just thinking the unknown is better.

8. GasedAndConfused

mitchell played way better at RT then he did at RG. moving him to RG so turner can be RT was a mistake IMO. Mitchell doesn't have the strength to deal with DTs but he was good enough to deal with the smaller speed rushers off the edge. Turner is just bad. I wonder how warren is looking health/practicewise.

and yeah with the Qbs people did the same thing to streveler. and zach looked way worse last year. then they benched zach for streveler and we all seen what a shit show he was. he didn't belong on an NFL field and he was benched after a couple of drives IIRC and then out of the league.

KY Jets Fan and Mogriffjr like this.
  9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

10. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

From the all-22's I've seen... it's obvious that Hackett's play-calling was awful.

I said previously that Hackett needs to change scheme and personal at this point.
    Lazard is terrible as a WR2... and they know it. Try Brownlee for fucks sake.
    Dalvin Cook is useless... suit Izzy up.

And as shitty as Zach may be... they aren't using what meager talent he does have.
    Not nearly enough play action... no designed roll-outs... no quarterback run plays.

Good OC's design the game plan to play to their players strengths and take advantage of their opponents weakness.
    I see none of that out of Hackett... and having Zach play from the pocket is insanely stupid.

11. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Watching Zach its easy to see his weakness's.
    Mostly he doesn't see the field well. Its like he's too short, except he's not short. This is why he is a little better outside the pocket.
    He goes through his reads to slow. Maybe its related to not seeing the field also - who knows? This is why he holds the ball to long.
    He misses to many NFL caliber throws. For every great throw there are 3 off target throws.

Nothing has changed over 3 seasons except he is now checking the ball off more, or holding it longer.

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  12. GasedAndConfused

I think taylor has done an ok job in the "lazard" role. I wouldn't mind giving him more snaps over brownlee personally.
    we need to run more creative plays too. MLF at least had some ways to "manufacture" yards with misdirection. Hackett doens't seem to have that in his playbook. Like last year there was a play where we gave it to breece and he was suppsoed to pitch it to a WR but he seen an opening, faked the pitch and took it 50 yards to the house. now all we do is run him up the middle over and over and hope he breaks 3 tackles and takes it to the house.

Acad23 and Jets79 like this.
  13. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

So This is Hack’s fault. Hole to GW or Dumpoff to Breece. Zach chooses sack.

https://x.com/SAOSNetwork/status/1722975107016995218?s=20

14. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

Gun it out of bounds?

15. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Saw that play... dump to Breece would be my choice. GW was not all that open all that long.

But hey... Zach is a back up for a reason. ;)

16. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

You fire this ball top of the drop. The entire play is based on timing. You don’t like what you see immediately, you dump to Breece or run up

This is a simple 2 read.

Zach isn’t even a back up IMO. He can’t win you games. Good backups are Minshew, Mike White. etc…

Zach couldn’t win a shoot out in overtime like Minshew. He needs to play with a a defense playing lights out - hard to find that in the NFL.

He’s more camp body.

Snatch Catch likes this.
  17. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

You won't get an argument out of me.

I don't have the energy anymore... :confused:

18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Being on vacation I didn't want to spoil it by getting involved in the same old negative discussion here, and maybe a "permanent vacation" would be for the best. At any rate, I did watch the game, and a lot of video reviews, as well as comments here and elsewhere. Here's my take:

Anyone who thinks that Zach is the main problem with this offense is either clueless, or has a total bias against him. This offense, from the play design to the play calling, the shitty OL play, the lack of any good receivers (on the field) beyond GW, the mistakes and sloppy play, all transcend the QB. And simply replacing Zach isn't going to fix them.

That said, Zach has to play better. And for all the slack I've given him, I'm finding it hard to make any excuses any longer. If he were good - meaning not just having exceptional arm talent, but possessing a feel for the game that good QBs do - he could make up for some of the above mentioned problems...not all of them, but enough to be able to complete way more 3rd downs and TDs.

I still maintain that Zach might have been able to become a good QB if he were developed properly by having an offense built around his skill set, and given at least a decent and consistent OL and weapons, but at this point in the season trying to fix him, or the offense, is like trying to fix the engine of a plane in mid air. But given there are no "white knights" coming to the rescue, the Jets should try some bold moves, like having someone else besides Hackett call plays - my vote would be Rodgers. And to have their best 11 out on the field for the vast majority of plays regardless of being a veteran or not. And to have more designed roll outs. RPOs, and get the ball into Breece's hands one way or the other.

As for whether Zach can ever be good enough to be an NFL starter, I'm not not going to bother trying to figure that out given all the other factors. but the Jets need to figure that out and if they think he can't be, they need to find someone who can. I seriously doubt they can properly id or develop a rookie QB so that means signing or trading for a proven vet regardless of whether AR returns.

That's my 2 cents.

19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Not sure if I'm looking at a different play, I'm seeing Conklin open at his break on a drag at the goal line. Conk had the leverage to make that play an easy TD. Whether he caught the ball was another story.