Complete gm fail

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Losmeister, Nov 6, 2023.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

thats a little off. technically all the expected starters played. realistically brown was playing through an injury and rushed back resulting in worse then expected play. he should have sat week 1. both brown and AVT were just coming off injuries and barely practiced or played due to it so conditioning takes effect too. becton was on a snap count coming back form injury. o-lines work best when they get to play/practice with each other. we were badly behind. 3/5ths of the line never had a chance to play with each other. we seen the communications break downs allowing free rushers due to this. o-lines get better with time when they "gel" but that takes continuity. We've had 8 games an I think we've started 7 different o-line combinations. becton has been at RT and LT, AVT has played RG and RT, Tippman has played RG and OC, CMG was OC but hurt, Mitchel has played RT and RG. newman took half a game at OC from the PS. turner has played RG and RT. Schewietzer lasted a few snaps at RG. it's been a mess. only constant on the line has been tomlinson at LG. 4/5 pieces move several times a game.

yes the o-line did better. becton was better at LT. AVT held his own at RT and tippman was great. basically tippman outplayed brown but they play 2 different positions and 3 players had to change spots to make that happen. (becton RT to LT, AVT RG to RT, tippman OC to RG) even if we don't count brown, the injury to AVT was killer. our offense was acceptable last year until we lost breece and AVT in the hou game and it went downhill and never bounced back. AVT is a key player on the line and a huge loss.

thats not true at all. mitchell did solid at RT filling in for AVT. it was a loss but we weren't awful. when we lost CMG, tippman slid to OC and schwietzer came in and it still wasn't awful. when tippman went out thats when it finally collapsed. then the following weeks due to injuries to CMG and schwietzer and AVT we moved mitchell to RG and turner came in at RT and thats whe it went downhill. if we ran out becton, tomlinson, CMG, tippman, and mitchell we would be fine. even with CMG out and schwietzer we would be fine. getting down to turner is what finally killed us and it took brown, AVT, CMG, schwietzer, to get that far. no teams 5th option at a position will be good. teams only carry like 10 o-lineman total. we are down to fringe roster players at that point.

2. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

Since the offseason, JD has shown the stuff remedial GMs are made of. He'll probably be with the Jets another five seasons and still have a losing record.

SOJAZ likes this.
  3. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

We are not disagreeing actually: it probably won't be worse. I mean we are almost what - 10 points below League average? Maybe replacing Zach will give a spark for bit. But I just don't know if it will help either, just because how badly JD constructed the offense overall. It probably makes sense to give it a shot, but it's not like JD got Wentz. Simien is a statue who will get hit and will get destroyed behind this OLine. He might last on the field as much as he did last time he payed for us.

I think even the bigger problem than Zach is how JD overall did a shit job on offense after knowing how good our defense is, after knowing how bad the offense was, after knowing we have 39 year old QB who needs protection. He just figured we need a QB and that's it. Well, when you don't get good OTs, that QB can get hurt. Otherwise the offense is worse than last year. Line is same shit. WRs are worse. When Corey retired, there was still time to do something. And they knew this earlier than when he officially retired when he started missing practices. Nothing was done. Oline was going to shit, nothing was done. Jax got a starter for a 6th round pick. Minny signed Risner, who is solid. It's just a flawed offense, and it pains me, because we are ruining a great season by the defense ... again. JD knew this and failed. No urgency from this guy after 12 seasons of no post season in a row. It just sucks.

4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

We were awful after we lost AVT and before Tipp entered starting line-up. I would agree it was probably better to play Mitchell at Tackle instead of Turnstile, and maybe Newman at RG, but the level of how shitty we were after losing AVT is in direct correlation to the opposing defense. If they have better pass rushes, they will fuck us more, if not a bit less. The line sucked except two games when we had Becton, Laken, AVT, and Tipp in the same line-up. It did not suck, because Newman entered for CMG, and played exactly as bad as CMG did all year. It was not because we lost Wes, who was pathetic in preseason and regular season alike.

5. GasedAndConfused

tipp entered the lineup before AVT got hurt. he entered when brown got hurt so week 3. tipp played RG and AVT played RT. that was weeks 3-4 (becton, tomlinson, CMG, tipp, AVT) thats when our line was it's best. and it was pretty solid. not great but solid. then everyone on the right side started dropping like flies

it wasn't just newman. i thought he held up well all things considered. but it was the combo of him and the other PS OG (can't remember his name) that got annihilated by the giants as dexter lawerence had his way with them. it didn't help that becton got destroyed by tibbs that game too. we lost CMG, tipp, and schwietzer in a span of like a quarter. thats just tough and the giants d-line is pretty good and they blitz a lot.

6. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

He tried, but not hard enough. I already explained how I felt there was a way for us to get Broderick Jones in the first round, and Dawand Jones in the 4th when he fell. We could have also gotten Ezra Cleveland, like Jax did for the 6th. The point is, there are ways to get things done when a GM understand the needs and is aggressive. Look at JD's mentor Howie Roseman. He is always finding great deals. Philly is stacked, and yet he managed to add Pro Bowl level player at safety without breaking a bank. JD is supposed to be the same way, but I am just seeing the sense of urgency to improve offiense, given we have a great defense and didn't make play-offs in 12 years. It's really mind boggling.

7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I know Tipp entered before AVT got hurt. And that is the point. Everyone was healthy in the first two weeks, yet line stunk. We didn't have enough good players in it. When Tipp entered for a scrub Brown we had enough decent players in starting 5 there to make it decent. When AVT left, we didn't again and line sucked again.

The fact "everyone" started dropping is not what caused the line to suck. The fact AVT did is what caused it to suck. The right side sucks because AVT is not there. You can start Newman tomorrow and there isn't any drop off from CMG or Wes because they stink. And JD should have been prepared for AVT and/or Becton to get injured. He wasn't. You saw what Billy Turner and Wes did when they played. These are top back-ups and they are not any better than PS guys. Injuries to them don't hurt us. The fact they and their replacements suck is what does. That's really the point I am trying to make.

But if you think CMG, Duane, Billy, and Wes are awesome and their injuries are why OLine stinks, we are going to have strongly disagree on that.

8. GasedAndConfused

we didn't need a safety lol. imagine how much shit he'd get for spending on a safety when the D is elite? sometimes opportunities present themselves. other times they don't. Everyone made a huge deal how their GM "missed out" on hopkins when the texans sold him for pennies on the dollar but the reality was the GM called 1 other GM asked for a specific package and they agreed. nobody had a chance. he wasn't shopped. it happens. thats why GMs build relationships with each other.

ezra is someone nobody here even heard of until trade rumors came up and they seen he was an OG. he was also benched this season and traded away by his team. there is no guarentee he would do better. someone also pointed out it would have cost us a 4th as their 6th was better then ours and we don't have a 5th. so we would have given up 2 picks or a mid pick. and thats if we even wanted him. lineman also have to fit the scheme. it's not madden plug and play based on a stat. Jones has only started 2 games and can't supplant one of the worst if not worst OTs in dan moore jr so not sure how much he'd help right now anyway.

9. GasedAndConfused

the line didn't stink week 3-5. and wilson had his best games weeks 4 and 5. then injuries kicked in.
    obviously losing AVT who is arguably our best lineman is going to sting badly.

10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Lol, no we didn't need a safety. The point was that Eagles did, and JD's mentor was agressive and got a Pro Bowler. JD had needs and decided we were a QB away. Didn't protect him with good Oline, and how is that working out? Then sat on his ass before trade deadline and did nothing to improve. Waiting to miss play-offs for the 13th time in row?

11. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Not injuries. One AVT injury to the same exact guy who was hurt last year, completely crippled the OLine. That's on JD.

12. GasedAndConfused

and what evidence do you have that a pro bowl OG was available for him to get? the only OG i seen moved during the deadline was cleveland who was benched earlier in the season. you also have no idea (nor do I) of what calls and conversations he had with other GMs. as JD said it takes 2 to tango. yes I understand missing the playoffs again sucks. we all know it sucks. but sometimes you can't overcome injuries and we can't seem to ever stay healthy.
    those other injuries matter. not as much as AVT but they matter. so does the rodgers one. the colts never won less then 10 games with manning and never missed a playoff in 9 straight years (since his 2nd year) when he was lost for the season they went 2-14 and had the 1st overall pick. they went from 10 win playoff guarentee to worst team in the NFL with 1 injury. the niners made the playoffs. the niners made the playoffs 3 out of the last 4 years. the 1 year they didn't was injuries (went 6-10) injuries play a part and it's frustrating as a fan and as a player and coach too. but we can't just start blaming people for random acts out of anyones control.

13. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

There was no evidence PB Safety was available to Roseman before it happened, yet he managed to get a coup before trading deadline. I would be OK with Ezra, don't even need Pro Bowler. I am not OK with doing nothing.

I agree Rodgers injury matters A LOT, which is why you need to make sure you protect him.

14. GasedAndConfused

it's not a coup lol. one GM was buying another was selling. if nobody is selling OGs that we want then there is nothing to buy. you don't know who JD called up and inquired about. neither do I. just because you are OK with it, doesn't make it a good move.

15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

But it does keep the OLine bad and fucks the team.

16. GasedAndConfused

thats what happens when your are bringing in your 4th and 5th string at 1 position. same goes for any team.

17. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know, takes two to tango.

[​IMG]

Centiment likes this.
  18. GasedAndConfused

sometimes you are in a shit position due to bad luck. blindly blaming the wrong people doesn't do anything but set franchises back. it's tough to tell a fan base who's went 13 years without a playoff berth to be patient and i know i'm one of those fans but sometimes we just gotta be patient

19. Centiment

Centiment Well-Known Member

Also remember AVT was playing out of position (again) because JD didnt find a RT, we started with Brown straight back from his shoulder injury and no pre-season and forced Becton to switch sides even tho his knee was obviously still a problem for him

20. GasedAndConfused

he drafted mitchell last year who's been ok in the few games he's had and warren who just got off of IR about a month ago. the CS just felt it was best to play tippman over mitchell so getting the best 5 required AVT to change positions