Complete gm fail

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Losmeister, Nov 6, 2023.

1. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

No one is saying Newman was any good, but was he really that much worse than CMG this year? I personally don't think so.

2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

every team is thin on the o-line lol the talent pool is currently too small compared to the talent pool of the d-line. because of that scoring and offense are at it's lowest point in the NFL in over a decade. no team can afford multiple injuries to their o-line and still be good.

Jets79 likes this.
  3. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Because we've seen the same dogshit on offense for 2.5 years with zach undercenter. What's the definition of insanity? It cannot be any worse than the shit we have seen over the last 2.5 years.

4. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Actually it was the first snap---you know, ZW should have made him practice snaps before that so don't put it all on Newman--after the fumble they practiced snaps and he was fine the rest of the way.

A true leader would have had him practicing snaps earlier. A good coach too.

5. GasedAndConfused

https://heavy.com/sports/new-york-jets/jets-abrupt-qb-change-chris-streveler/

do we not remember this? and then he got his chance and clearly didn't belong in the NFL. and then was out of the league

6. GasedAndConfused

lol in what time? a player gets knocked out and another came in. after that fumble he was practicing snaps on the sidelines with him.people make up any reason to try and shit on someone

7. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

I knew I was forgetting something in my other post. This is it. The MINUTE Saleh "pleaded the 5th," you knew that this is all that slime Woody. It's a shame that Brett Favre scandal with the female trainer wasn't in today's day and age. We Jets fans could EASILY take that and replicate what just happened in Washington. Force the Johnson's to sell this team to someone who actually gives a damn about football AND has some form intelligence.

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

That’s not true. They’re on their 3rd center, Tunsil has missed 3 games, Tytus Howard has missed 4 games and played 2 different positions.

https://x.com/HoustonTexans/status/1699146899234681157?s=20

https://www.audacy.com/sportsradio6...e-unofficial-depth-chart-ahead-of-ravens-game

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/htx/2023-snap-counts.htm

9. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

I'd like you to go back through nearly 3 years of footage and count the number of times ZW has missed a wide open receiver, within 15 yards of the ball, by over throwing him. Do this with every pass. I'll bet you come out on the negative completion side. In fact, I'd be willing to bet he's well under 50% completion percentage on throws within 15 yards. Get off the kid's jock.

10. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

There was time between--even if its when CMG is getting carted off or whatever. I recall thinking that at the moment that I hope they practiced some snaps.

11. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Wait a sec--first CMG went off then another took over at C. Newman was the 3rd C in the game right? There was some time between the 2nd and 3rd. @GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I’m not sure because the Giants blitzed so much and we had no answer for it from a protection standpoint. But I did think that Newman-Tippman-Mitchell was a lot better potential lineup than Tippman-Mitchell-Turnstile.

Centiment and Jets79 like this.
  13. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

We also could have resigned Herbig who wasn’t great last year but was better than what we have now…but overall I agree…for a guy who specifically stated he believes in building the lines, he has not done a great job on OL at all…and while injuries are a big part of the reason why, some of them were not total shock, right? Both Becton and AVT missed a lot of time and so should have been a flag that hey, let’s be better prepared this year. It’s not for lack of trying…he HAS drafted more OL in 4 drafts than we’ve done in the previous 10 years probably, but some bad injury luck has crippled the OL. Also, I STILL believe he should have tried harder to keep Moses and offered more money to see if that would’ve changed that dude’s mind…maybe the amount he would have needed to stay was WAY out of our league, but I tend to doubt it, and in any case, it feels like we didn’t even try to keep him at all.

14. GasedAndConfused

thats a lot more injuries then I thought but it's easier to find replacements during camp then after the season starts to be fair. we really haven't complained about becton because his injuries were offseason and known before. same with chuck clark nobody mentions him.

still fant has played every snap pretty much and titus + tunsil have played the rest so they've only had to use a backup OT. their tackle spot has been pretty healthy. their 2 OG have played 85% and 100% of snaps. it's really just their OC spot that has been decimated.

stroud has played 100% and is a stud already as a rookie. losing the starting QB for any team is always the worst possible injury. no team has suffered a "rodgers" like injury week 1. closest would be the vikes with cousins but that was just last week

15. GasedAndConfused

thats correct. when CMG went down, tippman moved to OC and schwietzer came in at RG. then tipp got hurt and newman came in, then schwietzer got hurt and another player came in (forgot their name) newman and that other player were PS players. you can't account for losing 3 lineman at 2 positions in a quarter it's crazy circumstances

IDFjet likes this.
  16. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

17. GasedAndConfused

wilson was way worse last year then this year and no he didn't. the end result was 3 points. he was then benched and hasn't made a roster since. he's currently a FA. the giants are rolling out devito who they barely let throw and have no interest in strevler lol

18. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I understand your point, but I think you may be missing mine or I am not making it clear. Let me give it another shot.

To start the season there were no injuries. Yet the line was trash. Why? Because it was shallow to begin with and did not have enough good players in it. When Duane got injured, did the team get worse? No, it got better. Why? Because he is now a pathetic scrub, which can be easily replaced. So, when one says teams can't afford injuries, it is implied that one refers to players who are actually somewhat decent. When a guy like Duane goes down, it does not hurt the team. In fact, in this case it helped, since Tipp, who replaced him, is decent. So, Oline improved.

Similarly, when Turner, Wes, CMG go down, they can be easily replaced by Newman or Cedrick, or any other PS guy without much downgrade. Hence, like in the above example, injuries to these pathetic scrubs is not why the line got worse. Line got worse, because 1 out of 4 good guys we have on the line (AVT) went down, and we have no other good players to fill in. So saying, we are decimated by injuries and that is why OLine sucks, is not accurate. The injuries to Duane, Billy, Wes, CMG are largely irrelevant, They were all replaced by similarly bad players.

Only AVT is a real loss, and yes the line sucks without him, because it was shallow to begin with, could not withstand a loss of any good player like AVT, and JD didn't even get another good player when he could. In other words JD completely fumbled the bag when it comes to Oline in the offseason and before the trade deadline. That's why the line sucks. Not because of injuries to scrubs replaced by similar scrubs.

#258 Borat, Nov 9, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2023
    BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  19. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Basically what you are saying is that you see a PS guy Newman as an upgrade to the line over JD's best OLine FA acquisition this year in Turnstile. And that's exactly my point. Scrubs we have, like Turner, are not that much better than late PS signers like Newman, who are also not that good. Then got no one at trading deadline after screwing up in the offseason. Which is why I am blaming the OLine on JD.

Ralebird and ouchy like this.
  20. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Well-Known Member

Weii, I mostly agree. But do we know that JD did not try to get better oline players? players available during the season are basically expendable, so he would have traded poor for poor. The place to get them is the draft or free agency. He did draft oline guys. I remember rumors he made offers to free agent guys. Tomlinson is serviceable. CMG is serviceable. I think his major fault, although not knowing if Becton would stay healthy complicated things, was in thinking Brown could handle a 17 game load. That LT is so important and he needed not to depend on Brown.

Borat likes this.