To me, all this complaining is kinda weird

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bleedgreen, Oct 31, 2023.

1. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I think we’re all happy we’re winning…even if it’s just skating by on freak things like punt return TDs or 4 turnover games…happy with the wins but realistic in knowing that these kinds of wins are not sustainable…you may get to 7,8, even 9 wins that way with a good D like ours, but you’re not getting to 12, 13, 14 wins like that, and the playoffs road will be harder (and yes, I do realize we’ve beaten the Bills and the Eagles who are both playoff teams).

So happy we are winning, sure, but let’s not act like we are 5-2 or 6-1…we’re barely above .500

Also, we can all see our offense sucks, bottom of the league in most key categories such as yards, 3rd down conversions, and points.

And we can all see Zach isn’t very good…shit we have hundreds of pages of discussion back and forth trying to show how “he’s not THAT bad”, or “he’s making some progress, even if slowly” kind of stuff.

If he were a good QB, we’d be having none of that because it would be clear that hey, we have a good QB…

So it is what it is…I hope we keep winning, even if it’s ugly like last game was…I’d rather win ugly than lose.

But I don’t think there’s anything wrong with having a discussion about how the team is doing…

Jets81 and hornblower like this.
  2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

1 thing to remember is people look back fondly of the sanchez playoff runs but that team was the same. we squeaked by some crazy wins in ugly games. I remember sanchez pulling out some miracle throws that year after sucking all game. there are a lot of parallels of those teams and this one.

3. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

How many people get injured on it. That’s what’s wrong with it.

Why exactly? Perhaps there’s a in depth article or a turf manager on the board. I don’t know, I just know what the numbers say, and it’s not good.

Here’s an article I found just by typing “MetLife Stadium turf”.

And another one…

And another …

#63 Jets81, Nov 2, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2023
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Well-Known Member

The defense was always going to be good. The offense was built around AR. Now, if he had not been injured and we were 4-3 with similar kinds of offensive numbers, we could all crap on the team. That was not what would have been expected. But we then abruptly switched to a very shaky QB, compounded by terrible oline injuries. Given that set of circumstances, the team is doing just fine. I bet you, and many other posters who are ardent jet fans, just like me, would have predicted disaster for the team 5 plays into the season. After 7 games it is anything but. So why aren't people celebrating the accomplishments to date? We could lose the majority of our remaining games. pessimism is kinda built into jets fans. Doom and gloom is just the next play away. The world is only coulda,woulda,shoulda. Nothing good surrounds the team. The owner sucks. The turf sucks. The GM sucks. The coaching staff sucks. The QB sucks. Should I go on?

No one has seen more jets losing than me. Injuries have taken a terrific toll this year. Those injuries could have resulted in collapse, in giving up, and they still might, but until that happens I say celebrate being over 500, celebrate the players not giving up, celebrate ZW going from crap to middling. There is plenty to criticize and complain about. But there is also plenty to celebrate and praise..

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Eh I mean 6 out of our 9 wins in 2009 were by two scores or more. 5 out of 11 in 2010.

We have one so far and 3/4 of our wins were in the last two minutes. The Broncos game became a two score game with 30 seconds left.

I think the obvious big difference is the offensive line. This teams line has been pretty bad all around but it’s tough to see it as sustainable without a good running game.

6. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

obviously the sanchez o-lines were great and what we have now isn't. since both years we barely got in and we squeaked by 3 games in 2009 and 6 games in 2010. all the wins were pretty necessary.
    I do get the point though that you can't expect a miracle every week which is why at some point zach has to push the ball downfield.

ColoradoContrails and Jets79 like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

On another Jets fan site, a former collegiate OC rightfully pointed out that it's very difficult to change an offense to suit a QB when one has the entire offseason to do it. and it can still take time for things to gel and for the players to know it, know their responsibilities/roles, and execute at a high level. He said it's even more difficult when one doesn't have that offseason to make those changes and even harder when one tries to do it from week to week, and are losing players weekly to injuries. I've been as guilty as anyone killing Hackett and Saleh for being too conservative, for not opening up the offense, and tailoring it to fit what Zach does well. I see now that our criticism hasn't really been fair or realistic. As you said, 5 plays into the season, most of us thought the season was over with Zach as QB, yet he has shown progress/improvement and signs that he can become a competent starting QB. We should be grateful and focus on the positives and try to enjoy the season; otherwise, we just make ourselves miserable.

ukjetsfan likes this.
  8. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

Fuck the NY Post. Garbage media outlet not worthy of being sourced, let alone the prime source on this site for Jets news. Pure trash.

hornblower likes this.
  9. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I think it speaks to the character and the nucleus of the team that they have not collapsed after losing their starting QB and sustaining all of the OL injuries….

I also think the current state of the OL is very worrisome and while we can blame the injuries on the field turf, guys playing out of position, or just simply age it is what it is. I think lack of cohesive playing time in the preseason is a problem and may very well be contributing to these injuries.

At this stage in the season there wasn’t going to be many good players offered for trade - not unless HD wanted to pony up high draft picks. He wasn’t going to do that - considering he’s going to need them to fix this OL in the offseason. As far as the Vikings trading Cleveland to Jax there are no sources out there confirming JD did not inquire about him or what the price tag for the Jets would have been. Just because Jax got him for a 6th round pick doesn’t mean the same offer was on the table for the Jets. I personally think the Vikings are leary of dealing with JD after he made them look foolish in the Herndon trade.

I’d also note that ZW’s best game came against KC when the OL seemed to be at its healthiest state…..that being said I can understand the ‘dark siders’ lack of patience especially with these perplexing games plans ….

I think the Jets are still sitting pretty good all things considered at 4-3. They survived the brutal part of the schedule and some OL guys like Tippman appear to be in line to play Monday. My gut is telling me that last game in Foxboro is going to be extremely huge for the franchise in general …

#69 mrjet80, Nov 2, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2023
    hornblower likes this.
  10. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Jacklyn Hendricks begs to differ.

12. rscherwin

rscherwin Well-Known Member

Impressive post. Nice to meet you.

13. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

There are some circles who predicted the Jets would not be championship ready until 2024 and that was during the summer before Rodgers was hurt. The consensus was they needed another offseason and I think that’s coming into focus now … primarily OL and WR.

Cman68 likes this.
  14. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm not doubting there's an issue but the problem with topics like this it just becomes an echo chamber/meme/talking point and any injury starts it up all over again. When you actually want info no one can articulate the actual problem.

https://wegrynenterprises.com/2023/06/03/nfls-most-cursed-stadiums/

Here's an article that has MetLife at #8 for injuries but you never hear as much about those other stadiums field.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/j3zgr1/comment/g7frkd2/
    Here's a reddit post that dives into this. The top comment linked in the post points out the data can be skewed with two teams playing here.

Anyway I'm just saying it's something everyone complains about but it's a lot of ppl just repeating this over and over.
    FedEx and soldier Fields have grass and are often complained about.

End of the day I hope they can identify the actual issue and fix it

Ralebird and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Joel Dreessen sighting!!

16. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I haven’t read thru the thread to see if anyone answered you questions so here are the answers to the questions you seek:
    SOJF
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes

Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    “I’m not a problem solver I’m a problem identifier”

17. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

I feel like it still is at times. It's just not as organized into separate gangs. But there are plenty of people who argue about whether they should be negative negative or positive, depending on their point of view.

18. The_Darksider

Let's not forget that the team has looked absolutely miserable and needed some type of miracle in the final minutes to win the game. Against the Patriots, the miracle didn't come through. Against Philly, and the Giants, it did. That means for roughly 58 minutes of football time, the fans were upset and the team was playing like peewee football kids. After all that it is hard to shake the feeling you had before. The only difference between the New England game, and most of the Philly game and all of the Giants game is that we didn't get the miracle. Had Cobb caught the hail Mary in the New England game, it would be another (almost) unsatisfying win like the others. If Jalen hurts doesn't throw that interception when they should be running the ball after the two minute warning, it's just another New England game. If Brian Daboll runs the ball to get the first down to end the game, it's another New England game. I know the luck balances out, I know the Jets have been screwed so many times that this is almost payback, and I'm sure as fuck thrilled that they got a win, but it's just not that easy to shake the feeling that the other shoe will drop.

If the team was 4–3 with a bunch of hard, fought, solid wins - even if they weren't 42–10 - we would be much more content.

I think the people like me, a true dyed in the wool darksider, feel like the wheels will come off any week. And until we get a solid victory where we are not struggling and needing a miracle to win (or not getting a miracle and losing), things won't change. The feeling of waiting for the other shoe to drop will always be there with the Jets until it's not.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  19. The_Darksider

Well said and nice and succinct. I just said something very similar in about 4000 more words.

IDFjet likes this.
  20. The_Darksider

I can only speak for myself, but I will pretend I'm a dog. If my owner walked by and kicked me every few times he walked by, I would eventually expect the kick and not be very happy to see him. However, I would assume that my dog self would not feel that way about other people who didn't kick me.

The fan base is the dog. The Jets are the owner.

Do the math.

And I will say, if there's one thing, I hate, it's people telling other people how to root for their teams. All of the complaining that the Sunny siders do about the complainers is the same thing: complaining.

Ralebird likes this.